1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

thinking about selling

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up there, having 4wd (and stick shift)will make all the difference in pricing when it comes to selling. I am happy with 6-7K for the thing.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ya you are right. I had a hard time finding one with both those options. I paid 7k for it about 8 yrs ago.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Look171....probably be a be good idea to clean up the exterior a bit if you can....people are fickle and will try and grind you down on the price if the clear coat is pealing.

Once you have the exterior in good shape make sure you detail the begeezes out of it....suspension and under side washed and cleaned, engine bay spit polished, interior shampooed etc. Sellers under estimate what a few dollars, and some sweat equity can net them in a sale.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM

One of the reason I wanted a 1st Gen cummins crewcab....so I wouldn't have to sell my truck as the family grew....
Old 02-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Thanks. I am thinking about painting it the original color and put her up in the market. There's a couple of scrapes on the passenger side so that will get fixed too. I hope it will fetch 8-9 k. But I really want this to go to a good home as it was my truck and very well taken care of. My only down side is that its automatic and not 4wd
Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM

The manual tranny trucks usually pull a couple thousand more then an auto, but the 2wd is where the biggest price differential is. But I have seen some nice 2wd go for decent money as well.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Look171....probably be a be good idea to clean up the exterior a bit if you can....people are fickle and will try and grind you down on the price if the clear coat is pealing.

Once you have the exterior in good shape make sure you detail the begeezes out of it....suspension and under side washed and cleaned, engine bay spit polished, interior shampooed etc. Sellers under estimate what a few dollars, and some sweat equity can net them in a sale.
I have the opposing view on this. When I see one detailed and looking like a used one on a dealers lot I wonder what they are hiding?

Otherwise, I can see the leaks and "read" the history. What has been recently replaced vs what appears original.

But if the floor board is full of trash and the bed hasn't been swept in years and there's grime and crud on everything I'll know that there has probably been no maintenance or care at all and will run away.

But that's just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
mknittle (02-16-2017), NJTman (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
I have the opposing view on this. When I see one detailed and looking like a used one on a dealers lot I wonder what they are hiding?

Otherwise, I can see the leaks and "read" the history. What has been recently replaced vs what appears original.

But if the floor board is full of trash and the bed hasn't been swept in years and there's grime and crud on everything I'll know that there has probably been no maintenance or care at all and will run away.

But that's just me.
Valid argument.....
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Take some good pictures before you do any work so you can show the buyer what it looked like before.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM

great idea. thanks

I am thinking about $6000.00 will try and get you guys some pics of the truck. I have to find out how to post pics. Have never done it here
Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Most people around here are scarfing up the old diesels. The EPA is killing the planet and the diesel world. The old diesel tractors are running in cost comparable to what I paid for the darn thing new. Keep that in mind, less expensive to maintain.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
Most people around here are scarfing up the old diesels. The EPA is killing the planet and the diesel world. The old diesel tractors are running in cost comparable to what I paid for the darn thing new. Keep that in mind, less expensive to maintain.
I know exactly what you mean. All the years I owned it, a pump, brake pads and simple oil changes and that's it, nothing else. I just need a bigger cab for my kids. The only reason I am not buying a newer truck is to avoid all the smog crap that chokes the diesel motors to death.

I am also looking at a Duramax that's here, about 15 miles from me (forgive me as I have dirty thoughts) but I like the Cummins truck better due to ease of access to everything. The Duramax is a lot more complex but I think its a better built truck besides the Motor in the Dodge? I know nothing about the Duramax. What do you guys think?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Durmax engines are a pain to work on along with powerstroke. You can't beat an inline style motor. Most heavy equipment runs with the inline style and you will not find much for a V-engine. Perkins, Ford (ag), Case, volve, Cummins, CAT they all run inline. Very easy to work on and pushing sleeves and rolling bearings make them so simple to get things back up and running.

I looked at chevy and ford in the past and that is why I gave them up. The new trucks we get with the cummins in them are crammed, though
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Valid argument.....
Personally I've been around these trucks long enough to not ever buy a freshly painted truck.

With the factory primer issue being the culprit to the failure of the paint, I would buy a clear coat, peeling oem paint truck before I bought a repainted truck.

I have a repainted truck. They did a crap o job. I will never buy another one of our 1st gens that's been repainted unless I plan on stripping it down like gman did. I've had my paint fixed 3 times on my roof, paying for it each time, because the guys at the body shop didn't take it down to bare metal. I have experienced that it will peel off again, if not done properly. Hiding the peeling clearcoat, to me is a waste of money, but then again, you might get someone who isn't aware, and get your money back and then some.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
Mike L (02-16-2017), mknittle (02-16-2017)

Quick Reply: thinking about selling