1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Synchro installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synchro installation

I have decided to tackle a tranny that was kicking itself out of fifth and second. I have been told that it is due to the synchro rings being tired. I have the rebuild manual that others have provided via this forum but it is not as detailed in the synchro rings department as I would have hoped. It suggests to leave the assemblies complete as they are only serviced as a unit. Does anyone have specific steps to replacing the synchro rings written up and are willing to share. Is there anything I need to be sure to do or not to do in the process?

The input shaft had a tooth missing (found it on the bottom of the case) and I have a new one on order. Is there a need to replace the countershaft? I see some places have the cluster for sale as a kit.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I rebuilt mine a year or 2 ago I replaced the input shaft, bearings, one syncro(3rd and 4th) and syncro rings(can't remember what they are really called) and 3rd gear. Also all the shift forks although I probally didn't need too. I had a syncro fly apart once or twice. and managed to put it back together. do it in a clean well lit area so you can find the parts if it happens. The rings are separate from the syncro and just set in place from what I remember. Pretty much just stack them in there on each side of the syncro.