24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rebuilt NV4500, no 5th gear synchro and rough shifting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt NV4500, no 5th gear synchro and rough shifting problem.

I searched around for some of the symptoms I'm having but didn't find anything helpful yet.

I pulled my tranny to fix a bad 3rd gear synchro. I found a guy who rebuilds auto trannys for the local Dodge dealership who would do it for $250.

I also bought a new input shaft because it was torn up from a bad pilot bearing. I had the updated 5th gear nut but the tranny parts guy talked me into the updated mainshaft with the new fully splined 5th gear and new nut with half moon shaped washers to go with my rebuild kit.

All went smoothly according to the tranny guy. I put it in yesterday, drove it and PROBLEMS!

There is no 5th gear synchro at all. It just grinds into gear every time. Sometimes I can't get it into 5th or reverse. Often, when its been in 5th or reverse, it won't go into any other gear. Sometimes the shifter is in neutral but when I let out the clutch, its in 4th gear and kills the motor or it grinds like its almost in 4th gear. Its very hard to downshift from 5th to 4th. It never used to be.

The no 5th gear synchro is a deal breaker but combined with the other problems, I'm thinking something is missing. Maybe he missed a big shim or washer? Or a clip is missing? He said he never took the top of the tranny apart so I doubt its a detent problem. Could the top be put on wrong?

I'm about to go pull it back out. UGGHH. But I'm searching for ideas about what to look for when it get it apart. I think I'm going to have a look at it on my bench before I take it back to him tomorrow morning.

Any help is much appreciated.

Incidently, my Kennys ceramic button clutch was shot after 20k miles so I also put in a new SB 600 hp Feramic clutch. This ended up being a very expensive 3rd gear synchro!

Chass
ct