1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

So Why Can't I Put A Boost-Fooler On My AFC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
I wonder if there's a lever/cam profile of the AFC linkage that could be altered to increase the overall range of the AFC yet still maintain use of the existing fuel cone/pin that's being worked by the boost/diaphragm.
YES. Not all afc levers are created equal! If you could get your hands on various afc levers from different VE pumps you'd see Bosch built them with many different profiles.

fergavs, the way the VE with afc makes fuel, if it doesn't see air, it doesn't produce a ton of fuel, = no smoke.

The silver colored spring is super stiff. Much tighter than the blue green, green only and maybe a little red with green from the springs I've had in my hands before. A stiffer spring will delay max fueling, the pump will require much more air/boost to push the diaphragm down etc. PM me your mailing address if you'd like to try one out.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it would be hard to do, but reducing the surface area of the diaphram would compensate for the increase in boost pressure.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I've been digging around the archives...since this very same thought has been nagging me for a while now. Came across this thread and thought I'd trow it back up top.

Here are my thoughts. Our trucks were originally designed for 10-15lbs boost, and the AFC was set-up accordingly. Now with the big, better trubos we are creating 30+ lbs. So with a fooler of some sort set at 50% you could still get the same AFC performance as the stock set-up, but with more boost. I then believe you could tweak things with more fuel from the fuel screw?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

BC847 did come up with some kind of boost fooler for his AFC. I believe he mentioned it when I made a thread about higher strength springs for the AFC.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost fooler works great. As does a stock P7100 governor spring, the largest one to be exact.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM

block off the afc boost input, build a bracket that holds a linear solenoid on top with a push rod sitting on top of the fuel pin..
at 15 psi the solenoid would depress the fuel pin to full fuel.
solenoid would be controlled by pressure switch to a relay.

rubber diaphram would "seal" the linear push solenoids rod going into the afc housing.

there would be two modes low fuel up to 15 psi then full fuel

Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucas1
block off the afc boost input, build a bracket that holds a linear solenoid on top with a push rod sitting on top of the fuel pin..
at 15 psi the solenoid would depress the fuel pin to full fuel.
solenoid would be controlled by pressure switch to a relay.

rubber diaphram would "seal" the linear push solenoids rod going into the afc housing.

there would be two modes low fuel up to 15 psi then full fuel

Sounds overly complicated to me. I think the stock spring does that by itself as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by The_Head
Sounds overly complicated to me. I think the stock spring does that by itself as well.
it does if you got the stiff spring in it

why are the various different color springs not enough for fine tunning.
anything over 18 psi are you not wanting full fuel??
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having a stock turbo on my truck again. i think that you don't need anything over 20psi for daily driving. Even my quick runs from redlights don't get me past 20. Now if i want to FOG out an intersection and squeel some tires i just lay the hammer down and its lights out after 8psi. I can really see where the boost fooler would be nice.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lucas1
it does if you got the stiff spring in it

why are the various different color springs not enough for fine tunning.
anything over 18 psi are you not wanting full fuel??
Where do you get different springs for the AFC? What I want, I think, is the fueling to be somewhat linear, not full fuel at 18 psi.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Head
Where do you get different springs for the AFC? What I want, I think, is the fueling to be somewhat linear, not full fuel at 18 psi.
I agree...if your running a bigger turbo then your AFC should allow the boost and fuel to come on together, therefore cutting down on the excess smoke and unburnt fuel.

A lot of this could be over come too with a stiffer spring, but there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket assistance in this area. I have read of a few guys shimming up the spring, not sure how well this would work?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you shim the spring? The starwheels right there and does the same thing? Lol
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I agree...if your running a bigger turbo then your AFC should allow the boost and fuel to come on together, therefore cutting down on the excess smoke and unburnt fuel.

A lot of this could be over come too with a stiffer spring, but there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket assistance in this area. I have read of a few guys shimming up the spring, not sure how well this would work?
My goal is to clean up the no/low boost smoke. This is further aggravated with less than instantaneous boost when tapping the throttle.

A stiffer spring would be nice but who stays at a given maximum boost? About the time you get one spring ciphered, somebody gives you a bigger turbo.

It's been my experience that shims don't work with the OEM spring. With enough boost and the star-wheel run up enough to control part-throttle smoke, the spring is completely compressed.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

With my valet on - blocking maximum boost - I get to 26 - 27 psi.
With the valet off and With my custom wound spring that's enough boost to push my M2 pin down far enough to get a mark on the flat part of the ramp.
I've still got nearly 1/4" of travel left in the pin and 47 psi bottoms it out long before getting there.

If I watch the pedal I only haze up to ~ 50 mph then it clears up because I'm moving enough air.

To try to get as many variables out of the equation as possible I normally set my cruise at 80 then slow down to 35 and hit resume. That's pretty close to 'normal' driving and I've adjusted the power screw and the AFC so I get minimal smoke and max performance. If I want more I hit the valet switch and get more fuel - and smoke - lower in the rpm range.

Of course when I want max performance I have to readjust the power screw to max - 2 full turns in. ( I guess I should change my sig to reflect that )

That's the next hurdle - to rig a 'valet' style setup for the power screw.
That'll be an interesting project

Last edited by unixcowboy; 11-12-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Realized fingers were slower than brain
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
My goal is to clean up the no/low boost smoke. This is further aggravated with less than instantaneous boost when tapping the throttle.

A stiffer spring would be nice but who stays at a given maximum boost? About the time you get one spring ciphered, somebody gives you a bigger turbo.

It's been my experience that shims don't work with the OEM spring. With enough boost and the star-wheel run up enough to control part-throttle smoke, the spring is completely compressed.
If Your goal is to reduce no or low boost smoke you need to turn the screw on the top of the top cover OUT (counterclockwise). It has a lock nut on it and you need a torx wrench to adjust it(sometimes it has a cover plug over the screw). Many people mess with this screw turning it in and wind up putting the fire out in the cylinders with too much fuel before the turbo picks up. Mark the screw with a marker before you start messing with it. To adjust things right you would adjust the fuel screw first and then use this screw to clean up low boost levels. Then the star wheel to clean up high boost levels. If you can't clean up the low/no boost smoke with the screw in the top cover you have your fuel screw too far out or you may have turned the diaphragm where you are too deep on the cone.

Quick Reply: So Why Can't I Put A Boost-Fooler On My AFC?