1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Home made two stage rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by lockgessner
Lighter, 50 lbs maybe. Articulate better? Please explain. And on our frames you run the risk of bending the frame by moving the rear point a good foot forward( why you don't tow heavy with 4 bar/ bag setups) if that was the way to go then kelderman would have done that. But they didn't because the the two stage supports your frame all the way back to the hitch. Plus you don't have to come up with some crazy bracket that can withstand the force that air leaf will generate (there's a reason Pete casts the bottom bag mount; it's far to complicated to weld it on production)
Just my opinion though
Then why aren't petrebilt using a bigger version of kelderman.? The bag mounts alone are lighter than the swing arms on the two stage! If the suspension articulates the frame WILL NOT have to flex as much. As far as 4link.
thise "crazy brackets were around way before kelderman even existed. I hav logged with the Airtrack and it will keep the wheels on the geound in places where most others twist and spin out.
Attached Thumbnails Home made two stage rear suspension-531398.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 PM

Any way I just said I like the design better.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Don't pay any attention to me. I am just giving you a hard time
There is nothing wrong with either design if used and built right
Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
For air ride I like this set up best.
This is what I would love to have!!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand the benefit of the air over leaf myself; especially in our trucks but even in semis. Why not just run a link setup? What benefit does the front leaf give you? Is it just an emergency fall back? Like say you Pop a bag.. Other wise the air over leaf vs the 2 stage is virtually the same only difference being the pivot point and the full length leaf. Theoretically speaking the two stage will get mor inches of travel with the same bag as the air over leaf.

I will be finishing this project just working on other stuff and waiting on money to order my bushings and air bags.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by lockgessner
I don't understand the benefit of the air over leaf myself; especially in our trucks but even in semis. Why not just run a link setup? What benefit does the front leaf give you? Is it just an emergency fall back? Like say you Pop a bag.. Other wise the air over leaf vs the 2 stage is virtually the same only difference being the pivot point and the full length leaf. Theoretically speaking the two stage will get mor inches of travel with the same bag as the air over leaf.

I will be finishing this project just working on other stuff and waiting on money to order my bushings and air bags.
The springs allow torsional motion more than vertical flex. logging and construction can have some pretty primitive roads. Links might work for highway trucks But as an owner you don't want to be locked into a type of work that stops paying the bills.

I hear you on the money for parts.