1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 Inter-cooled Trans went

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
Was there evidence of ATF in the radiator?

Good question:

I do not know, but I will try to find that out today.

I'm thinking it was the worn out clutches and stuff that migrated through the entire cooling system.

An inexpensive solution (if there is foreign matter in the trans side of the cooler) would be to install an aftermarket trans cooler by-passing the factory set up thus eliminating any potential for said matter (if indeed is in the cooler) to enter the re-built trans. I think it to be a smart $100.00 investment to absolutely avoid and future contamination.

I'm going to go that route (even though I just had new trans lines made) because my reasearch leeds me to believe that an aftermarket trans cooler cools better then the intergrated cooler with my radiator.)

We also got an additional curve ball: The new input shaft is slightly different from Max's and now, the OEM pump does not seal properly.

Several calls have been made to find an exact duplicate of my OEM input shaft. If that can't be found then we are going to try to find/purchase a pump that mates to the new input shaft without blow by.

I am getting quite the education here Fellas!

My dreams of Max are now nightmares of many dollar bills flying out of my mattress!!!!!!!

Please, kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Three words come to mind....

Dragon Naturally Speaking.....

for about $150, you can speak it into writing. If your time is worth $5 an hour, payback will be in weeks.

I'm amazed at how some posters can't seem to get their writings into reasonable English form. Your posts are very proper, even though you probably have to hit the backspace key with your nose.

Thanks for the laugh! I truly needed that this morning!!!!!!!

I was educated by nuns (one was Military that hated me sooooo much, she followed me up to the next grade!!!!!)

So, when I see the new "text-ing language"' on my phone and/or computer, I cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is basically my current mind set:

It is bad enough that I have pain.

It is bad enough I cannot preform any work at the moment to help myself.

It is bad enough I have to relay on other people for help.

It is bad enough that Momma is breaking my ***** over Max.

I can deal with all of the above mentioned......However, what's really killing me is my Beagle has been sick and in pain.

I've spent more on him these past two weeks than I spent on Max.

I really wish he can tell me what's wrong.

Poor little guy.

He LOVES Max because when we go out on a trip, I simply raise the center counsel and he sprawls out and sleeps with his head in my lap totally content and happy.

I need to get Max up and running soon as so we can male bond on our mountain trips......

Let's see what today brings..................

TTFN

(Ta ta, for now)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Sorry to hear your troubles there buddy.
I am hoping for a good day for you and Max today.

I can't help but picture you, loyal beagle in the lap, hitting the backspace key with your nose.

Thanks!

You are the best-est Mopar Dude in the whole wide world!

Tru-dat! (cringe on the lingo)

Let's see what today brings...................(Do I really have to leave the house today??????????)

I don't wanna!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Here he is......The KING of hounds (well, at least HE thinks He is.......Being completely spoiled has nothing, I say nothing, to do with His feelings of Benevolence.......:c ool: )
Old 06-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by slatemd

Here he is......The KING of hounds (well, at least HE thinks He is.......Being completely spoiled has nothing, I say nothing, to do with His feelings of Benevolence.......:c ool: )
And yet he has that "don't take my picture fool" look......... Mr. T meets King....

Good looking dog!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 AM

Thanks patdaly...........
Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'll see your beagle .....

Name:  0320131943_zps44658d0a.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  121.3 KB

and raise you one Cavalier King Charles

Name:  ckcs_zps5djubr1s.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  116.1 KB

Don't make me bet the Shepard, as you'll definitely lose.....
Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
NJTman,That is a happy looking load of dog in your Extra cab.
Where do you sit?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 PM

NJTman,That is a happy looking load of dog in your Extra cab.
Where do you sit?
She's going to be 14 this August. Big party planned. Birthday cake, with a filling of milkbones, and Frontline Plus for all attendees that day. That's why she's happy.

If the beagle drives, then I'm usually strapped to the roof...
Attached Thumbnails 92 Inter-cooled Trans went-roof.jpg  
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Slate Doctor…

Are you and the old beagle cruising around in Max yet?

I am hoping for a good report, old boy.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:49 PM

I'll see your beagle .....

Don't make me bet the Shepard, as you'll definitely lose.....[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD are they the cutest or WHAT???????????

Hello NJTman, it has been a while........
Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Are you and the old beagle cruising around in Max yet?

I am hoping for a good report, old boy.[/QUOTE]

Well, I thank you for your positive encouragement my friend, however, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you about today's wonderful adventure (that included another flat bed ride for Max!!!!!)

I am at my wits end here boys (and girls!) You see, I have been getting ready for Carlisle and I had to resign myself into not taking Max this weekend because I want to drive it around locally in order to chase what ever other Gremlins may surface as so I won't get stuck 3-hours out on the Interstate where the Banjos play ()

When I made that decision, Max was still in the shop, so, I took unneeded/unwanted pressure off of my shoulders. I thought that to be prudent even though Max is kind of a fixture at the Mopar Nats. Oh well, Stuff happens......

Here are some of the issues with the trans that had to be dealt with:
The new input shaft was not identical to the OEM shaft. I had to buy a new pump that mated to the new shaft. I had to send my original T/C out for a rebuild because the new ones we ordered did not fit 100%. I had new trans lines made. I also bought a new deeper pan, trans mount bushings, and aftermarket trans cooler......The list goes on and on........

"Screw it" says I.................I am in way too deep to lite the dynamite at this stage.

If all of this is not bad enough, Momma has been on the warpath about Max (and me in general) for the past several weeks now and she has definitely not been bashful reading me the riot act.

Okay, I'm dealing with that as best I can ("Yes Dear" isn't working now.)

Up next:

My IDIOT Beagle defied my orders (screams of "NO!" actually) and decided to dance with Mr. Skunk on Sunday night. Multiple baths (Peroxide, Baking Soda, and a little dish soap), and I re-injured my wrist (that I just got out of the cast last Monday) in the whole Beagle bathing process. You see, Beagles hate baths, by the way...........

Sooooo, my life is a bit "not so fun" at the moment!

Now: Enter the piano that just broke it's rope suspended 6-stories over my head while I'm standing under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tranny guy called and said, let's take Max out for a test drive, it's done!!!!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shifting is a little off, so we will have to play with the linkage, but no biggie. Max is a mean/powerful beast again with oodles and oodles of power thanks to my Pa Boys!!!!!

It's cruising along nicely, then NOTHING! It completely dies!

Well, Max decided to kill it's engine in the middle of a test drive (in the middle of a very busy commercial road too boot.)

I have lights, but a complete dead key as well as a dead motor. It will not even crank. No blown fuses that I could see. The batteries (I have two) and grounds all look good. No fusible links that I see. I'm perplexed!

My buddy needs his lift, I'm leaving for Carlisle tomorrow, It's Africa Hot outside, so I say "SCREW IT" and flat bed Max back to my house and stash it under the carport until I return from Carlisle ("if I return" is more like it.....!)

Please chime in and tell me what you think is wrong with Max now.....

I will be reading your responses from my i-phone, but I will not be able to answer any questions you may have after tomorrow morning.

I'm so angry, disappointed, frustrated, and off at this point I have no choice but to laugh while shaking my head in absolute utter bewilderment.

I'm a good person. I love animals. I don't hurt people.

What the is going on here????????????

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

There is no way in HELL I'm gonna tell Momma about this "" of a day I just had. Nothing good can possibly come from that conversation.

!

"Pins and Needles"
"Needles and Pins"
"It's a happy man that grins!" (Thank you Ralph Kramden.)

Thanks for letting me purge........................

Last edited by BC847; 07-13-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Removed short-cuts to profanity.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:37 PM

That sucks.

My guess if it up and just died while running, your FSS wire is loose or fell off, shutting down fuel.

Did the starter still crank away but no signed of starting though?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM

That sucks.

My guess if it up and just died while running, your FSS wire is loose or fell off, shutting down fuel.

Did the starter still crank away but no signed of starting though?

NOTHING!

No click, No spin. No crank......

Where is the FSS wire???????
Old 07-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by slatemd
NOTHING!

No click, No spin. No crank......

Where is the FSS wire???????
That's not the FSS that would give you NOTHING...

You most likely have a bad fusable link, or ignition switch issue.

BTW,

I had a fusable link go bad, and visually it looked perfect. It wasn't until I tested it for continuity that I realized that it had broken inside the sheathing. No swelling, no discoloration, no NADA visual signs it was bad until I actually stripped the FL and found part of it disintegrated in the center.

Quick Reply: 92 Inter-cooled Trans went