1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1992 W250 Resurrection/Modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Don't hold back...Let it all out!!
If I was in a rush for it I may have gone a different route. The Borgeson shaft didn't come up but I have half of the parts for for the Jeep/Chevy shaft anyway. I thought about the need for a custom line. There is a decent local hose place that is pretty reasonable. I'll have them make 2 for me and keep one in my truck. Thanks for your input though. You brought up some points to ponder.
That is the easy way to do it. It has been mentioned: "What if you blow a custom line on the road?". Bobva and I were talking last week and neither of us could remember ever blowing a power steering hose. I know it happens but not very often. Besides the custom hoses are most likely much better hose.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
I have blown one hose years ago on my '94.
The truck was really rusty, and on it last inspection sticker.
The steering box was leaking pretty well and I didn't want to replace it just for 6 more months of driving the truck.

During the summer I had added a fair amour of Lucas steering box "stop leak", to the mix, which basically just looked like thick gear oil.

Well that thicker fluid slowed the leak, but in the middle of winter on a -30*f morning it blew a line.

Not really the lines fault.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have blown one hose years ago on my '94.
The truck was really rusty, and on it last inspection sticker.
The steering box was leaking pretty well and I didn't want to replace it just for 6 more months of driving the truck.

During the summer I had added a fair amour of Lucas steering box "stop leak", to the mix, which basically just looked like thick gear oil.

Well that thicker fluid slowed the leak, but in the middle of winter on a -30*f morning it blew a line.

Not really the lines fault.
There is always one.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
"What if you blow a custom line on the road?"
I'd been holding back, but I just can't anymore:

If you are in posterior-love nowhere, at 3AM, you WILL be able to find a mobile repair service that will come to you and make you a new JIC line within a couple of hours, if you are willing to pay for it.

On the other hand, getting Stevie Jo's girlfriend who is running the Autozone that just put the last independent parts store out of business to understand what you need on the phone, order it, and help you figure out how to get into town & pick it up, well, that isn't going to happen until 8AM the next business day, and after you've paid $100 for Squeaky's Taxi to pick you up and bring you into town, you will probably find out that the part didn't come in on the transfer anyway. At which point you are stuck at the McDonalds that hasn't been renovated since it was built in '86, 52 miles away from your tuck.

I think that designing the system to use standard JIC hose & fittings will make repairs much easier (and more of a "sure thing") in the long run.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alec
I'd been holding back, but I just can't anymore:

If you are in posterior-love nowhere, at 3AM, you WILL be able to find a mobile repair service that will come to you and make you a new JIC line within a couple of hours, if you are willing to pay for it.

On the other hand, getting Stevie Jo's girlfriend who is running the Autozone that just put the last independent parts store out of business to understand what you need on the phone, order it, and help you figure out how to get into town & pick it up, well, that isn't going to happen until 8AM the next business day, and after you've paid $100 for Squeaky's Taxi to pick you up and bring you into town, you will probably find out that the part didn't come in on the transfer anyway. At which point you are stuck at the McDonalds that hasn't been renovated since it was built in '86, 52 miles away from your tuck.

I think that designing the system to use standard JIC hose & fittings will make repairs much easier (and more of a "sure thing") in the long run.
The problem is finding a JIC fitting that will fit the pressure port on the reverse rotation steering gear. there isn't much room in there and the mount is in the way.
My plan is to use reusable fittings so if something blows all I need is hose.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I sand blasted the the 14cm turbine housing, outlet plate, and actuator bracket that I have for the truck. I primed and painted everything with Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degree) primer and paint. I painted everything black. I was really bummed that they don't make High Heat paint in yellow.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
I sand blasted the the 14cm turbine housing, outlet plate, and actuator bracket that I have for the truck. I primed and painted everything with Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degree) primer and paint. I painted everything black. I was really bummed that they don't make High Heat paint in yellow.
WHAT!
I have been waiting patiently for the next yellow piece of custom art work from Pa.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 AM

I thought about changing out the turbine housing on mine. I may do it still.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 AM

WHAT!
I have been waiting patiently for the next yellow piece of custom art work from Pa.
Yeah I an kinda disappointed too.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 AM

WHAT!
Not to worry ! Not to worry! The pitman arm, PS cradle, and PS brace are all have a nice fresh Equipment Yellow coat (3 actually) of paint.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:05 AM

I might paint the turbo compressor housing yellow. I'm kind of leaning towards silver but also might leave it plain aluminum.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might paint the turbo compressor housing yellow. I'm kind of leaning towards silver but also might leave it plain aluminum.
Paint it.

I live in western washington no salt. I didnt paint mine and it oxidized form the moisture in the air. Cant imagine what a PA one would look like in do time.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Talkin to you.

Here's that link I was telling you about.

Hydroboost conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

BTW ACDelco pt # 15909826 for a brand new PS pump.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 PM

Over the last few days I sand blasted and painted my turbine housing, ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold, waste gate actuator bracket, and spacers. I used Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degree) paint and primer and attempted to cure it according to the directions. I cured it in my gas grill (i think). The only problem is that the 3rd step of curing the paint is supposed to be at 600 degrees but I could only get the grill to 550 or so. I guess it'll have to cure on the truck. So....yes I grilled truck parts today.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Over the last few days I sand blasted and painted my turbine housing, ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold, waste gate actuator bracket, and spacers. I used Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degree) paint and primer and attempted to cure it according to the directions. I cured it in my gas grill (i think). The only problem is that the 3rd step of curing the paint is supposed to be at 600 degrees but I could only get the grill to 550 or so. I guess it'll have to cure on the truck. So....yes I grilled truck parts today.
I love the smell of fresh cooked paint in the morning.

Quick Reply: 1992 W250 Resurrection/Modding