12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Dodge blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge blues

I will start at the very beginning. I have a 1999 dodge 2500 gas. The motor blew up, so I pulled the engine, trans, transfer, and the entire wiring harness. I had a rolled 1995 2500 Cummins, auto. Put the 95 harness, dash, steering column, engine, trans, and transfer into the 99. After making a new trans shift rod, transfer case shift rod it ran good, but the brakes sucked big time. Did my research and bought a new power steering pump, new hydro boost brake booster, new lines and plumed it all in. Bought new front rotors, calipers, pads. The brakes suck even worse! You apply the brakes and it starts jumping and shaking! I am thinking it is the proportioning valve. But I do not have the abs hooked up so I am thinking that could be the problem. And two day ago I went to start it, turned the key on and let the wait light go off. Turned the key to start and nothing. Found a 40 amp fuse blown under the hood, replaced it and it started. Went to town and back and shut it down. Came out a few hours later and the same thing happened, except this time I change fuse and as soon as the key is on it blows. I changed the ignition switch after tracing the pink and black wire to it, thinking it was the switch, no luck. I cut the wire so I could get it to work, and it starts and runs just fine, but the power windows, and the heater blower does not work as I found out last night. Can some one please help me! Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like you have some wires grounded in the column somewhere. Moving the ignition switch, turning steering wheel, and adjusting the height of the steering wheel can , over time, weaken wires, ground them out, or break them. I have had to change wires in columns for various vehicles, including Dodge. Take all covers off your column and trace the components you have trouble with. a simple "dummy light" can help find a grounded hot wire and vise versa.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Ditto on taking a look at the underside of the steering column/wheel area, where the tilt mechanism is. I've had to mess with that area several times. I finally just stopped tilting the wheel--I leave it in one position all the time, so it doesn't disturb the wires.