3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air

In my online search trying to figure out how to get as cold as air possible to the triples, I found this - an in-line air intake:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/se...px?&&prod=9831

I really like the concept because it can be attached to the turbo intake, then pipes routed further upstream wherever cold air is found.

Simple design but quite versatile.

I purchased two: one for each turbo in order to stop drawing heat from the engine bay as my one air filters is very close to the exhaust manifold, radiator and alternator.

I'll see how it works as I monitor the intake temperatures and boost pressure.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Triple turbo. Awesome!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 AM

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Didn't know they made such a thing. Not sure I would like the idea of an aluminum housing, though. Maybe you could wrap it in some insulating tape to keep that aluminum from conducting as much.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM

With the cool air flowing through it and it being thin metal I don't think it will pick up too much heat.

One could always ceramic coat it...which now I think of it, I just might do.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air-image-149674064.jpg

Here's a photo of one temporarily installed so one can see the perspective. Going to plumb fabricated 4" pipes down where the "hole" is on the left side of the photo, down to almost the lower bumper level.

Can't get colder than that.

Fabrication happens Friday. I'll continue to post photos...
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Dadgum, that is AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for keeping us updated!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Beginning fabrication and inline intake without filter...
Attached Thumbnails Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air-image-1105477518.jpg   Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air-image-1662177121.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM

...and the final fabrication before ceramic coating. Intake tube is plumbed just a few inches above the lowest point on the bumper - so rain and debris fly by (higher momentum) and only ambient air is pulled in. No more engine air heat!
Attached Thumbnails Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air-image-3841414828.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM

Man, that looks awesome! I can't wait to hear how much of a difference you can tell!

That ambient air is going to be significantly cooler than the previous in-bay air. I would imagine a pretty significant increase!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM

12% increase in fuel mileage with this mod...while towing. That's INSANE.

Went from 850 Km a tank to 950 km towing a 7000 pound trailer in stop and go city traffic.

That's like a "purchase nine tanks of diesel and get one free" deal.

I will keep testing… i've yet to ceramic coat the system.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now that is great news!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM

Going to install hood louvers to further cool the aluminum intake components - then I will ceramic coat when the weather outside turns much cooler. I like the fuel economy too much to remove the intake to ceramic coat at the moment, but having three turbine housings under the hood creates a lot of heat that really should be vented IMO.

This last tank was 1000 KMS. And I'm not babying the truck while towing. I removed both my mufflers so maybe that helped a bit too (but they were straight through design.

There is definitely no need for a muffler with the compound turbo system. There's a little rumble while taking off but when the turbos spool it sounds like stock. No annoying drone whatsoever when towing or cruising on the highway.

Long story short: having a triple turbo system is not for the faint of heart. It's an ongoing process of tweaking… But it's what I love to do.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM

...added a bell mouth just to tidy it up below.
Attached Thumbnails Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air-image-2097890804.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 PM

Wow!

12% is a pretty hefty gain!!!! I imagine you'll pick up a bit more after ceramic coating as well. The conductance properties of aluminum allow a lot of heat to wick through the pipe.

Have you noticed any difference in spool time?

What kind of intake setup is the 12% increase relative to? With gains like that, I'd be interested in tossing my old AFE out!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM

The truck definitely has more oomph across the board - picked up 1-2 PSI when cruising highway speeds...and less smoke when starting from a standstill. It very much reminds me of the difference one feels in the fall time when there are cooler air temperatures; a vehicle feels snappier taking in cool air. If there was a dyno around these parts I would see what the numbers are using both systems. I'm sure the results would be significant.

You were absolutely correct about the aluminum picking up heat. I can see it on my air intake temp gauge when the engine is off and it quickly ramps down when I start the engine. So I will ceramic coat (inside and out) and install the hood louvers.

The truck was getting 11-12 miles per gallon (calculated) when city towing in the summer heat with the filters exposed to warm engine air. Now the truck is getting 14 mpg consistently, everything else being the same.

You see it frequently in magazines on trucks with aftermarket turbo systems: the air filter hanging inside the engine bay. I would say that spending $400 on fabrication work to completely seal off the air filter from engine air is well worth the money. I'm tossing out the AFE stage 1 that came with my 2001 Dodge.

My next experiment is to intercool between the stages of the compound turbo system. I ordered an air to water intercooler system. I believe this will make a big difference too - but it's not relevant to single turbo systems. I will start a new thread on that one...

Quick Reply: Found A New Inline Intake For Cold Air