3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

high idle on 06-07 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high idle on 06-07 trucks

are all the trucks the same for grounding pin #22 on the b terminal of ecm.
am trying to do my 07, i was just wondering if is the same pin as the older trucks. is a 6 speed.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I am not sure to be honest. All I have heard is that for a manny tranny, you have to get a wiring harness from Dodge that costs a few bucks. I would think it would need to be enabled by the star scan as well.

If you get it done, let us know your results. I have mine which is an auto tranny, and man I love it. Good luck. Wish I could have helped more.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 PM

i have the wire from cummins i just wan to make shure the location of the pin that needs to be grounded is the same.
thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

here is a cut and paste from one of my other posts. you don't need any extra parts for the high idle on the manual tranny. just do what i stated below and it will work.

"i have written about it many times on several sites. here are instructions and a link....

you don't need any extra parts to enable the high idle on a manual trans!! i did mine and have posted how to do it before (on other forums). you need to have the dealer enable it, just like on the auto trans. the only other step is to ground the one wire. the wire is located on the firewall. driver side, far left bottom firewall. basically if you go staight back from the emergency brake handle to the firewall, you'll see a large wire harness, white in color. you can unhook that harness, and behind it there is a very short (4 inches maybe) dark green wire coming through the firewall. the wire has a heatshrink cap on the end. strip the end of the wire and ground it to one of the two bolts next to the harness. that's it! let me know if you need more info. you'll need your flashlight to see that little wire back there. that's it folks no money on any parts. that wire is for the optional clutch safety switch. it is really not needed, as the transmission has to be in neutral and the emergency brake set, in order for the high idle to activate. if you touch the brake pedal, release the emergency brake or put it in gear, the high idle will disengage."

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=165798
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM

will doing that eliminate ur clutch safety switch? does that mean the truck wil start in gear?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM

you can get the optional clutch safety switch from cummins, but it is really unnecessary. no the truck won't start in gear. that is different safety switch on the clutch that is not altered by the high idle. you will still need to have the parking brake set, and foot off of the brake in order to enable the high idle. the only thing different, is that you will be able to depress the clutch and the high idle won't cut off. you have to either touch the brake pedal or release the emergency brake.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM

well i succesfully enabled my high idle, i did go with grounding #22 connector which i think it was the safest way. my gf and my dad sometime drive the truck and for a $20 pice i thought it was worth it.
thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Can someone explain to me the purpose of having the high idle. is it for quick warm ups or another reason.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

it prevents wet stacking and carbon buildup from low temp idling, and it lets you run equipment off of the pto. faster warmup is an added benefit though.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

by the way thanks mastercaster, I had it done and the tech gave me a funny look when he tried it. I guess some people know more than the tech's Huh!!! Mine works great and warm up is super FAST. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 PM

you bet. yeah the techs seem to be a little slow on the newer trucks.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadreddodge
well i succesfully enabled my high idle, i did go with grounding #22 connector which i think it was the safest way. my gf and my dad sometime drive the truck and for a $20 pice i thought it was worth it.
thanks for the help.

just curious, but what were you worried about your dad or gf doing? even without grounding #22 and doing it as i stated, they can't start the truck in gear. the high idle turns off if you touch the brake or release the emergency brake. what was i missing?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 PM

it was just a personal preference and did not bypass any switches.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Ok hate to be a pain here, but does anyone have a picture that they may send me or post.

I can't seem to locate this green wire. I pulled the harness loose from the mount just to the left of the clutch pedal and looked all around in there and can not find it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM

is it good to high idle when just sitting idling ?

Quick Reply: high idle on 06-07 trucks