3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How To Write Up - Painting Factory Black to Match Color!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Write Up - Painting Factory Black to Match Color!!!!

Well fellas I've been asked alon on my 05 how I got the mirrors and handles to match the original color so since I got my 06 I have been itchin to get the black off and make her all silver.. I got started tonight with the Window Visor's and I took pic's and have a detailed write up for anyone wanting to do this... The steps apply for mirror and handles too.. Although I talked to my paint guy and he told me I can take my handles off and paint them so that will help, better than taping and masking the whole side of the pick-up..

Products needed. Go to your local PPG or paint dealer and on the driver's side door by the Vin# the will the a abreviation for your paint code..

PNT is what it says. My truck is Silver so it was PS2

Then tell them to make you 2 cans of aerosol paint or more if you choose.. A little over one can will paint the Window Visor's.. $13.00 For 2 cans!!

Then purchase the item called BullDog Paint Promoter.. Purple can can be found at Walmart!! $6.16 a can

Then get an SOS pad or really fine sandpaper.. Here is a Pic of the total items used..

Once your ready make sure you are in a clean environment and remove the items to be painted.. Then take the SOS pad and start scuffing the plastic. You don't have to do this really hard just enough to remove any waxes, dirt and grime. Them clean the items with water and let dry.. Once dry set them on a table or item that can get painted without edited by admin(Hint, Hint) . Take the Bulldog promoter can and shake it up! Hold the can about 12" from the items and start to apply a even coat of promoter be extremely careful and do not get runs... It is easier to apply less and add more than to apply too much and start over!! Once you have an even good coat on let it sit for about 3-10 minutes. Once it starts to get Tacky apply another coat.. I do this process 3 times.. On the final coat let it dry for about 10 minuted depending on the temperature at which your working with.. Remimder it needs to be atleast 55 degrees to do this.

Then start applying the mixed cans of aerosol!! Take your time The first coat will not even look normal!! Just make sure not to over do it or you will be doing it over period!! Let the first coat sit for 3-5 minutes. Apply another coat making sure you get it spread evenly.. Shoot it at all angles... Do as many coats as you like until you are happy with the end product. I usually use just over one can to do the Visor's.. The mirror's will take two cans for each mirror and three cans to do handles...

Once completed you can clear coat the items and re-install!!! Good Luck and if you have any??? I will gladly help out!!

I should have pic's of them installed tomorrow as long as the rain stops!!

Shane

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Looks great! Nice write-up too! You should PM Lary to delete your other thread where the pics got messed up that way it won't be confusing.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

I will Pm Larry. Never thought of that I was trying to figure out how to get rid of it!!

Shane
Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write-up Shane..
I have been torn between doing this and leaving my stuff black... since I powder coated my wheels black I am leaning towards keeping them black.. hmmm decisions, decisions
I will be watching for the mirror and handle pic's
Old 02-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Nice write-up Shane..
I have been torn between doing this and leaving my stuff black... since I powder coated my wheels black I am leaning towards keeping them black.. hmmm decisions, decisions
I will be watching for the mirror and handle pic's
Mark, You need to go all white with the black rims!!! I seen a truck go through town one day had her all painted up to match and black rims looked sick!!! That's what gave me the idea to paint match everything..

Shane
Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 AM

now you've got me thinking about it. do you think you could do a good enough job to attempt this on some fender flares? and do you buy the clear coat at the same place as the paint? thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Horn
now you've got me thinking about it. do you think you could do a good enough job to attempt this on some fender flares? and do you buy the clear coat at the same place as the paint? thanks.
OOh heck yeah.. I did the BW PW flares on my 05.. If you need help or??? let me know it's as easy as the window visor's

Shane
Old 02-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Your the man Shane, thanks. I'll be doin' mine as soon as it warms up over here.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:13 PM

just a side note...

before you scuff ANY plastic part like these that have a mold release agent still on them, make sure you use a wax and grease remover before you scuff AND after (sanding or scuffing will not remove the release agent, it will just drive it deeper into the plastic). Wipe the wax and grease remover on and while its still wet, wipe it off with a clean, dry, lint-free rag. Then before any adhesion promoter is applied, wipe with isopropl alcohol. This will make sure that your paint will stick for years instead of months...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mb889
Your the man Shane, thanks. I'll be doin' mine as soon as it warms up over here.

Thank you sir.... I just ordered my bushwacker pocket flares and they were supposed to be here today like my commander but nope!!! So hopefully I will have them monday and get to paint them next weekend!! This weekend was my only real time to do it so we will see..

Shane

Originally Posted by chromegrill
just a side note...

before you scuff ANY plastic part like these that have a mold release agent still on them, make sure you use a wax and grease remover before you scuff AND after (sanding or scuffing will not remove the release agent, it will just drive it deeper into the plastic). Wipe the wax and grease remover on and while its still wet, wipe it off with a clean, dry, lint-free rag. Then before any adhesion promoter is applied, wipe with isopropl alcohol. This will make sure that your paint will stick for years instead of months...

I have never had a problem with painting sticking on my window visor's or the bw flares... I had them on my 05 and paint never came off!! But that is a good safety step!!!

Shane
Old 02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

someone hit on this, but can you get clear in a can or what are youll doing for that? and how much is needed for the pocket flares as far as paints concerned. i really want to do that to same me $150

thanks

brett
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
someone hit on this, but can you get clear in a can or what are youll doing for that? and how much is needed for the pocket flares as far as paints concerned. i really want to do that to same me $150

thanks

brett
Brett You can get clear at the paint store.. I just bought four cans today to do my Pocket Flares. It's overkill but I figure one can for each flare.. Besides it's pretty cheap!! 27.64 for everything!!!

Shane
Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

would you do another write up on painting and installing them too? just kinda wondering the secret to covering up the pocket holes or if you paint those too? thanks

brett
Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
would you do another write up on painting and installing them too? just kinda wondering the secret to covering up the pocket holes or if you paint those too? thanks

brett
You betcha... I was planning on adding it to this post.... What do you mean by the pocket holes?? Where the fake bolts go?? Shane
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
You betcha... I was planning on adding it to this post.... What do you mean by the pocket holes?? Where the fake bolts go?? Shane
thats exactly what i was talking about. do you paint those or not?

brett

Quick Reply: How To Write Up - Painting Factory Black to Match Color!!!!