General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

durabilty info on fords 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
durabilty info on fords 6.4

i have a very reliable source who works at a research company that does emission testing and durabilty testing on new engines. Talked with him today about fords new 6.4. The best one so far has only run 400 hours on the stand before breaking. They have tested a few and they all have multible problems from injectors,turbos, and internal problems. One that sticks out in my head is that they did a rod clearence test. After 75 hours it moved 30 thousands of an inch. Bear in mind that this is a prototpe and ford has pushed back production date for the new motor.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't using "durability" or "performance" and "Ford" in the same sentence...or PARAGRAPH, and oxymoron?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by chadwick
i have a very reliable source who works at a research company that does emission testing and durabilty testing on new engines. Talked with him today about fords new 6.4. The best one so far has only run 400 hours on the stand before breaking. They have tested a few and they all have multible problems from injectors,turbos, and internal problems. One that sticks out in my head is that they did a rod clearence test. After 75 hours it moved 30 thousands of an inch. Bear in mind that this is a prototpe and ford has pushed back production date for the new motor.
ive been to the "other" sites and they're ranting about the looks of the new superduty..most seem to hate it...they havent even taken the discussions far enough to touch the motor yet....i dunno why that 6.0 was so troublesome...IH makes good motors and good trucks...must be ford putting a special "touch" on the motors to make them troublesome...i mean the dt466 is a great motor for example
Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 AM

When's scheduled production on these; what model year are they going in?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by 3500lly
When's scheduled production on these; what model year are they going in?

08 Model Year------Starting in the Summer of 07!!! Run out and get you one !!!!! No please dont!!

JB
Old 12-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So if this is true Ford will not have a diesel for production starting January 1st because of the emission requirement.

MikeyB
Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intersting data on the motors!

What bothers me is that ford may be rusing this motor, just like they did the 6.0!

Have they learned nothing? Yes, they are in financial difficulty, but another problematic product launch would be the final nail!

Does corporate america not have the ability to learn? Are they thinking they can just force the motor to be ready?

Yes, I am an ex-ford fan. Was die hard for ~30 years! The 6.0 launch and subsequent handling of warranty totally turned me off!

Tony
Old 12-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

Talking

Their lifespan can be measured in hour, perhaps minutes.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 AM

unfortunatly my source's company did not get to test the 6.7 Cummins.I was hoping he did so i could get a good comparison.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:30 AM

If you listen quitely you can hear all of the new 08 250 and 350 Body's rusting in a holding yard somewhere------wishing that the New and Dominating 6.7l Cummins was going to be installed in there frames, only to be dissapointed by the sticker in there front driver's window that states that there is going to be a 6.4l PowerJoke installed only to keep the promise of constant Dealership trips and no Mountain Passes!!!!! If you close your eyes you can almost see the tears of coolant leaking from the frames right now!!!!!!------lol
Old 12-25-2006, 10:01 AM
FAY

Originally Posted by TonyB
Intersting data on the motors!

What bothers me is that ford may be rusing this motor, just like they did the 6.0!

Have they learned nothing? Yes, they are in financial difficulty, but another problematic product launch would be the final nail!

Does corporate america not have the ability to learn? Are they thinking they can just force the motor to be ready?

Yes, I am an ex-ford fan. Was die hard for ~30 years! The 6.0 launch and subsequent handling of warranty totally turned me off!

Tony
I was a disgrunted 3/4 ton gasoline powered Ford fan from 1969 until 1995, after owning two Ford units. Ford quallity was just steadily getting worse. I almost bought a Ford crew cab with the 7.3 liter V8 diesel engine, but I was too apprehensive due to the problems GM owners were having with their 6.2 and 6.5 V8 diesel engines. In 1998 I tried a GMC pickup with a gasoline engine and was just somewhat more satisfied with the body quality, but not with the pulling power of the gasoline V8. I was used to those old farm pickups with the inline six cylinder gasoline engines that had more low end torque than the V8 equipped units. Those inline gas engines took a lot of abuse and kept running.

My Dodge is preforming in all departments fine, but I do admire Ford for supplying cab and chassis F-450 and F-550 models. The F-450 has a payload of 9,030 lbs, and the F-550 has a payload of 11,830, I was told. I was also informed that Ford will bring out a F-450 pickup next year. It will do me no good as I am not interested in a F-450 with the 6.4 L V8 diesel engine. Why does Ford and GM stick with V8 diesels instead of introducing inline six cylinder diesels? Why does DC not get with it and bring out a 4500 cab and chassis model with the 6.7 liter Cummins engine?

One company has the superior power and the other has the increased load capability. They just do not get it all together on the same model.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:07 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$------ That's why!! DODGE will be bringing a 4500-5500 to the market in a couple of Months!!!!!! Chassie Cab Versions ONLY!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:13 AM

"Bear in mind that this is a prototpe and ford has pushed back production date for the new motor."

can ford afford to do this? if that's true they won't have a diesel option until it's ready. i don't think the 6.0L passes tier 3 so they can't put it in a new vehicle after jan 1.

if they have to rush this engine to the market it could be a repeat of the 6.0
Old 12-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mr T
i mean the dt466 is a great motor for example
is the dt466e the same as a detroit series 40? and your right about them being good motors!!

brett
Old 12-25-2006, 10:47 AM

I just read in the Winter 06 issue of Diesel Builder magazine that the reason Ford is making the 6.4 is to make up for lost power that the particulate filter will cause on the 6.0.

I just threw that magazine away and didn't read on any further.

Quick Reply: durabilty info on fords 6.4