3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front u-joint grease fitting...solution!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front u-joint grease fitting...solution!

Figured it out this evening....got a NAPA needle #715-1213....removed the zerk on it to slip off the bushing and spring then put zerk back on.

Jack left front wheel off ground to rotate shaft so that fish-eye fitting is pointing roughly down, slip new needle up through hole in crossmember(this is why you took off spring and bushing) align needle and fish eye. You will need to slightly make a bend in the needle...I put a kink in mine so the alighnment was perfect....grease away! I'd post pics of the needle....but I'm not a magician, and it seems complicated on this site.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
3rd gen. lubrication

Thanks for the information!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:07 AM

Would love to see that pic. I recently tried to grease mine, but the torx head bolts that were torqued to about a hundred foot pounds prevented me from going much further. I took it to Dodge and complained about it. While they repaired my front pinion seal they installed regular bolts with lockwashers so I can get the shaft off with ease. Looks good, too. I am going to try that bend in the needle fitting though.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
HOV

There's another NAPA needle #715-1215 that looks like this:

And is usable with no modifications required.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ That's the one we use at the shop.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM

When I took mine in for an oil change two days ago, the guys in the quicky lube area hadn't even heard of greasing the front drive shaft, nor could they find the fitting.

I refused to leave until it was done. It took two tech's from the back to find it. Between the two of then, they were also able to round up the fitting to do it.

How many trucks have gone through and never had the front axle greased??
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Are you sure you got any grease to go in?
I've tried 2 different needle hooties, long short, not sure if I actually got any to go in. I even tried putting a curve in them, never tried going through the cross member though!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Which U-Joint are you refering to? The one and only one that they tell you to grease at every oil change, or a different one?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 AM

The one on the front driveshaft.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Need PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Dodge recommends you lube the driveshaft every-other oil change I believe ... I also use the fitting pictured above without the spring but it's still a bugger getting it lined up on mine.
You can tell when the grease is going in cuz it gets harder to pump (like normal) and the grease won't be gushing out all over the place. I sprayed a little white dot on the driveshaft to help initial line-up ... spray a little Gunk and wipe to clean up "fish eye" and surrounding area ... it's still frustrating on mine. It's certainly not a precision fitting ... some will be easier than others. I can see why dealerships just say they know nothing about it.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go. As mentioned above jack one fron wheel up so that you can turn the drive shaft.

This is the needle that worked for me. I push the needle right into the fitting.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 PM

I don't think that's the right grease gun needle thing is made for that kinda grease fitting, some grease will go in but it will not be forced into the whole U-joint cuz the excess will just ooze out, it won't be forced in.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM
HOV

^^^

I went through a pack of those hypodermic needles before I gave up and went to a fitting made for a female zerk fitting.... my needles kept bending or breaking before they'd move the check valve. But if it works for some, all the better.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Once a year is more than enough to keep that alignment socket lubed.The jeeps have the same driveshaft w/o a fitting although slightly smaller in size.After 9yrs and 205K i replaced all three u-joints and disassembled the ball socket,still was well lubed after 9 yrs no noticable wear,cleaned and regreased, ready for another decade.

Quick Reply: Front u-joint grease fitting...solution!