3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bushwacker Pocket Flare How to Paint 2 Match and install!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushwacker Pocket Flare How to Paint 2 Match and install!!

Ok felles here you go, you asked and now you shall recieve... The weather finally broke off here so I got a chance to sand, prime and paint along with install my Bushwacker Pocket Flares...
The preparation goes as follows or the same as my "painting factory black to match color" write-up

This time from a tip from another member I used an alcohol cleaner on the plastic before I started to remove any wax's or chemicals from the flares..
Then I took a fine grit sand paper and gently rubbed it on every inch of surface to be painted.. Then I used the alcohol cleaner to remove the dust particles.. Here is a pic of the products used in this application

Once this process is done let the fender's dry.. Once dry start applying the Bulldog Promoter. Follow the direction to the T... A good word of advice.. Take your time I know these are a new toy for our baby's but hurrying will make your end results look like crap.. Start applying the bulldog promoter in small amounts spraying from a 12" distance. Be very careful not letting it pool up.. Once you have a good base coat let it dry for roughly 10 minutes or until tacky to the touch... Once you have the second coat on let it get tacky to the touch and get ready to start painting!!!

I stress this point a lot from my own learning!!!! Once you begin to paint do not think it will be done in one instant. Your first coat will be almost a ghost coat... Again take your time it will be well worth it!! Spraying from a distance of 10-12 inches moving the spray in an even and smooth flow.. This will take at least one can of factory matched paint for each fender. I used 1-1/2 for each. For only $6 it is by far cheaper than a paint company doing it!! Another tip is when spraying and you think your about empty STOP and throw the can away.. Once again another lesson learned the hard way.. When the can is low it will start to stop spray and spit puddles out!

From this point on while painting make sure you spread your paint evenly and on every inch paintable.. Making sure you get the tops, every hole, nook and cranny!! Also make sure you are in a somewhat ventable area after one can of paint and no ventelation you will he UUM "Happy"!! Again more experience talking!!! Once you are happy with your end product let them sit and dry making sure nothing can get to them to be bothered, like kids, cats, dogs!!!
I let mine sit for 3 days due to weather!!! Trust me it was killing me..

Then follow the direction for install.. Another few tips I will hand out so you don't have the problems I did.. For the "fake bolts" drill them from the back and be very careful on the last bolts on the bottom's of the fender's the fender is straight in line with the bolt hole and if not careful you will drill through the fender for the hole and into the fender and your hand!!! UUUM no comment!! Again take your time..

Any??? Pm me and I will help out in any way.... Also I did not clear these due to the fact that it is winter. I will go back this summer and do that..

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Finish Product!!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Where do get the factory paint in a can? Also, why can't you clear them? If you have a space heater or lamp it should be ok. One thing I would recommend is taking a landscape sprayer and fill it with water and mist the floor and anything else that could kick up dust.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

I got the factory paint at the local PPG paint store If you look in the other link to paint matching in my sig it shows you where to find the paint code. Should be 3 letters Silver I think is LS2??? And yes you can clear them if you have somewhere to keep the dust out and at 65+ degrees for a day or so.. I didn't have somewhere to do that at the moment!!

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM

That's the funny thing. The paint code on my truck is WRONG! Found out when I ordered my topper.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

***??? You might have to go to the dealer and have that fixed??? Are they goona fix the shell?? What's up with that? Man I would flip.. I was pretty worried when they repainted my shell. That sucks..

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM

You have encouraged me to give this a try on mine. Looks great.

Any reason why you haven't put the rear wheel liners in? It would really even out the look...

Seth

06 Ram CTD 4X4
Old 03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vanwinkl
You have encouraged me to give this a try on mine. Looks great.

Any reason why you haven't put the rear wheel liners in? It would really even out the look...

Seth

06 Ram CTD 4X4
No, I was going to do that this weekend but when I went to the dealer they had to order them in they were all out so that was shot off my to do list... But it will be done in the next week or so...

If you need help let me know.. It is really easy

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job Shane... the truck looks even better now
why do you want to wait till spring to clear them????
Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Nice job Shane... the truck looks even better now
why do you want to wait till spring to clear them????
I Didn't have anywhere that i could keep dust from kicking up and a warm spot.. I probably could have but it was hectik trying to get them painted without anyone around or someone bothering me.. I was pretty fortunate to get a day that was snowed out so I could even get to that point.. And personally you can't hardly tell that they aren't cleared...

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man how did I miss this great write-up? Thanks a lot Shane!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Looks Awsome!! I am giong to do this. I might wait for spring because I need to clean out my garage first. Do you get the clear coat from the same paint supply store? I will have to see these first hand sometime.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Yeah they sell the clear also... If you want help let me know and I'll try to come up....

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 PM

I still need to buy the flares. I think I might try e-bay, but i don't know if that is the best place to buy them or not. Where did you get yours? I love the pocket flares. let me know if you know a good place to pick them up.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Everywhere I've checked was $400. My fiance got me a gift card to a local 4x4 shop in town so I just got them there.. I was going to get a dvd player but that was too much for now... My money is going to the new Aurora 5K!!!

Shane

Quick Reply: Bushwacker Pocket Flare How to Paint 2 Match and install!!