3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Interested in getting XM satellite in your Dodge ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in getting XM satellite in your Dodge ???

I may have found a way to get an exact swap out unit for the factory Sirius satellite unit, only on XM satellite service !!!!

Still working on some details but I would be happy to "spill the beans" if there is any interest here ???

I am NOT selling this unit, I just own a new 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW and want to go back to my XM service, so I have been checking out the satellite unit and who makes it and such !!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Hell yes I'd be interested. I'm an XM subscriber and can't stand the majority of the Sirius programming. I'm not a Stern fan and listening to NASCAR takes a back seat to actually watching NASCAR. Can this XM tuner box be controlled using the steering wheel controls?

Aloha
Old 08-01-2005, 04:50 PM

more details
Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 PM

OK, here's what I have so far, maybe somebody out there that works in Dodge or Delphi can get more info for us to finish it off.

The Sirius unit in the Dodge trucks is located under the back seat. If you look at it you will notice that it is made by "Delphi Delco Corporation" and has the P/N 12245489 on it. Dodge's P/N is 82206488AA.

So I went to the Delphi website. Delphi makes the consumer XM units. Delphi is also "Delco" radios. Anyway they make 2, plugin satellite tuner units. One for Sirius, and One for XM. These are exactly alike, and interchangeable !!!!!! The pictures of the units look exactly the same as the Dodge one, only backwards. After pulling my Dodge unit apart, I found that it is the same unit, but it is mounted upside down, hence making it look backwards.

Seems that Delphi is letting Pana-Pacific Corporation distribute these products. You can buy the XM or Sirius tuner unit thru one of there dealers (usually a Freightliner dealer). So far the price I was able to get was about $ 197.22 for the unit.

I called Pana-Pacific and talked to one of their engineers, and he faxed me a diagram of the pinouts on their unit. When I pulled my Dodge unit, their was also a copy of the pinouts on the bottom side of the unit. All wiring is the same except for pin number 10, which has "B+" listed on it from the Pana-Pacific unit and the Dodge unit says it is used for the "SDRS bus", which means "satellite digital receiver system". That may also just be the "B+" power lead to the satellite unit to the fuse box. BUT THAT IS THE ONLY THING I CAN FIND DIFFERENT ON THE TWO UNITS. So I am trying to locate one of these and try it out ???

All these units state that they are the "J1850" satellite receiver unit.

Here are the Delphi part numbers.
Delphi Direct Wire XM satellite tuner unit p/n 12216460
Delphi Direct Wire Sirius satellite tuner unit p/n 12212840
Both take a 12 pin connector, only about 8 wire are used. Since Delphi also made the Satellite antenna, it was the same for both services.

Pin number - Dodge wiring - Dodge description- Delphi description

Pin 1 (green, w/orange stripe) left audio left audio
Pin 2 not used
Pin 3 not used
Pin 4 Black com ground com ground
Pin 5 (yellow w/gray stripe) ignition ignition
Pin 6 (gray w/yellow stripe) Battery Battery
Pin 7 (green w/yellow stripe) right audio right audio
Pin 8 (green) audio common audio common
Pin 9 not used
Pin 10 (white w/orange stripe) SDRS bus B+
Pin 11 not used
Pin 12 (white w/violet stripe) VJ1850 VJ1850

I would assume that Pin 12 is the data bus for getting the data back and forth to the
receiver head unit.

If this works OK, then anybody that wants XM can buy the Dodge install kit and buy the
XM tuner from Pana-Pacific and hook it up. It should work the same as the Sirius unit does in the Dodge. ONLY those factory receiver units that have "MODE" switches on them will be able to have the statellite added to them.

I want to pull the RBQ radio I have in the truck out of the dash and compare the pin outs to some of the other radios, and see if that "SDRS bus" line is only a "B+" line or it is something else ????

This may be the same unit that is in some of the other makes and models of vehicles that have the Sirius options in them. Delphi (thank goodness) decided to make both type of units for the industry. Since most of the manufacturers have bought shares of the satellite companies, they only want to push their particular satellite company products. Isn't a good deal for the consumer !!! I hope this pans out and we then have a choice on it !!!!

I will continue to keep working on it, and if anybody has any other info, please contact me !!!
waynem@handypage.net

PS. I did hear something about GM's unit knowing what the VIN number was of the vehicle, so if it was removed and re-installed in another unit, it would delete it's programming. It would then have to be re-installed by a dealer and re-programmed with the correct VIN code.

I don't know if that is the case with any of the Dodge or Delphi units. Although, putting in a
new Delphi unit would have the unit enter the VIN of the new vehicle, so there should not be any problem there.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:11 PM

I forgot to add,
If anybody that currently has the Dodge Sirius option, can then just
order the Delphi XM tuner listed above and unplug the Dodge Sirius unit
and plug in the XM unit. If all is the same as we are hoping, then the
XM will come up on the radio. You would then have to contact XM and
have them authorize that serial number (which is listed on the tuner unit).

So hopefully just $ 197 plus tax and we get the XM in our Dodges !!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Ok. I've got a parts account through work at a local GM dealership. I called and gave them the Delphi part number. They are going to call their supplier and give me a call back tomorrow with price and availability. If this actually works (and it sounds like it will) I'll be SO happy!

Aloha
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 PM

I am not sure if the Delphi unit is the one that GM uses, I have NOT been able to get a look at the actual GM unit to see. THIS IS THE ONE THAT DODGE USES !!!!

I am hoping the GM and several of the others are also using the Delphi units. Pana-Pacific is also selling these to several of the BIG semi truck companies for their trucks.

GM will NOT be able to cross the Delphi numbers to the GM numbers !!!!

If somebody that has a GM satellite unit can take a look at it and see if it is the same
then we will go from there !!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:41 PM

hey

i just purchased an 05 without the satilite hookup and would love to have the sirius hookup. Anyone want to sell there factory sirius radio let me know please
Old 08-01-2005, 06:52 PM

AGAIN,

I have NOT tried this unit out yet in my DODGE, I am trying to obtain a
unit to do so, So I am NOT sure it is 100 percent compatible yet.

But by ALL things discovered so far it LOOKS like it is !!!!!

Here is pictures of the units and their model numbers........

http://www.panaoem.com/productsview.aspx?catID=24

See if it's the same as your unit ??
Old 08-01-2005, 06:55 PM

If I can get the XM unit to work I will sell the Sirus tuner to anybody that wants it.
All you would have to do then is get the Dodge cable package to hook it up.

That is providing you have a Sat compatible radio in your truck ???

Do you know what radio you have ??? Should be in the corner somplace
RBX is on the left front lower face !!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM

I called a local Kenworth parts dealer... The price on the 12216460 is $184.59 + tax. Not a stocking item. Do you have a line on a place with this part # in stock?

Aloha
Old 08-01-2005, 08:21 PM

No, the one I called quoted me $ 197.22 and stated that they would not be available until the
8th of August. He didn't state whether they stocked them or not. I really hadn't had that much time since I started on this this morning to call around various dealers in the US and check prices and availability !!!!

That is one of the things I am hoping those that are interested would help me do, and possible also there is somebody out there that might have more technical info on the units or know something else, and then we can put this whole thing together and help us all.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:56 PM

Well I for one am all hot to trot on this project. I can't begin to explain how disappointed I am in with the Sirius "talk show" service. I voiced my complaint to a few departments and got canned responses. The sooner I can stop using my SkiFi2 and run XM through the factory system the better! If I can help with any of the grunt work let me know. I know a few Chevy guys that have XM. Once I figure out where their XM tuner is located I plan on driving over to their house to take a look.

Aloha
Old 08-01-2005, 10:11 PM

I don't know if it has changed, but all the info I could find on the GM/Chevy stuff was that GM was pretty secretive about even the part numbers for it. But if you could take a look at one, and it says it is made by Delfi and there is a 12 conductor plug on it, it might very well be the same unit. What I am hoping is that Delfi is the company that most of the factories choose to have do the units, since they do a lot of the radios for the factories. I do know that the "J1850" bus is a world standard in the automotive industry, so hopefully, the data bus in the sat units all speak the same languages ??

I was also trying to find some info out on the units that Nissan and Volkswagen/Audi are using, since they have decided that both XM and Sirius would be available to their customers, thereby giving them a choice on things. This been said, those factories have selected sat units from somebody that has both available, and they will interchange. But I have not seen what they are using and have not yet been able to get any information from their web sites on part numbers or anything else.

The GM units may be the hardest, because I understand that they interface with the "On Star" stuff also, but then the Dodge units are suppossed to also connect with the "cellular" interface they have available for their vehicles (U connect).

Well, we will keep at it and see where it goes, definately can use any help, even if you just get a list of dealers from Pana-Pacific's web site and call them and see what the prices of the sat units are, and the availibility. Hopefully, we can find some dealer out there that will give us a great price, and make him rich by buying a lot of them from him !!!!!

Quick Reply: Interested in getting XM satellite in your Dodge ???