1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Custom 12mm pump and new dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom 12mm pump and new dyno numbers

I was running a 14mm pump for a little while but a governor issue forced me to put my stock 12mm back on. In the mean time I had Giles build me a custom 12mm pump that would be reliable. I finally got it put on and the results are pretty good. There is not a whole lot more volume of fuel to be had from a 12 mm. With my current injectors I hit 44 psi with my cranked stocker and I hit 46 psi with the new pump. Not much gain there. There is a lot less smoke with this new pump though. It spools up faster as a result. It will smoke if you floor it down low but if you drive normally it does not smoke at all on the street. It's very drivable, no more driving around the smoke. Just for reference I was running an m3 pin in my stocker. Giles made the one in the new pump. When the afc starts to kick in (much later than my stocker) it is actually ready for the extra fuel and burns it which = driver being planted in the seat and little smoke. He also does what he calls "bottom end mods". From what I can gather (he is pretty top secret on all this), he gets the vane pump to flow a bit better and it keeps up with fuel demand at elevated rpm levels. This pump has a 3200 spring in it but the HP curve just keeps going to at least 3400 maybe further (no head work). I had him keep the stock timing advance rate but had him shave 4mm off the timing piston which results in 15 degrees of extra timing at the crank. I have my base timing set at stock but still have the top end power of the advanced timing and no timing rattle at lower rpm.

Ok enough technical stuff, heres some numbers. This is the 2nd and 3rd run.
Name:  12mms300.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  73.6 KB
There is another run that went a bit past 3400 but I dont have that file to post up yet. We also found out my isspro tach is off. I told them to run the truck to 3200 on the dyno. So he did 3200 on my tach. After the machine spit out a graph we found out that 3200 on my tach is more like 3500 rpm. So for the 2nd and 3rd runs we left the rpm lower as I don't even have springs on the head yet. Soon as I get that file I'll post the picture of it.

Sorry the vids a little shaky this was with my cell phone.
Heres a video of the 1st run at high rpm.

And here are the 2nd and 3rd runs

Its a lot of money for the custom pump but its rewarding to have 425 streetable horsepower. I also have a new turbo to put on that should spool up a bit faster without sacrificing top end. I hope to dyno it soon to get a good comparison between the s300 and the new garrett. I really wanted it on before the dyno but the water lines are a bit more work than I had time for and this way I get to compare the two turbos. Had lots of fun with 93flatbed and whereswaldo at the dyno day too. First gens were well represented with the 3 of us!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job on the numbers buddy... The truck looks sick
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
That's it, I'm saving for a Giles pump!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Good numbers! Do they run their custom pumps on a flow bench? Would be interesting to know what kinda of cc's it is pushing. Definitely seems pretty clean for the size of injectors your running too! What did your temps get up to?
Hahaha, I got a kick out of the "tire kicker" in the first video at the end of your run...Just making sure the air pressure is still good in that front tire I'm guessing.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Oh yeah forgot the pump numbers.....
His test bench uses stock p-pump injectors which from what I read are slightly smaller than our stock intercooled ones.
250 cc's down low up to 2000 rpm
200 cc's at 3000 rpm
190 cc's at 3500 rpm
The temps got to 1150 but I am not sure how accurate that is. With the new BD exhaust manifold the probe for the gauge is not as far into the exhaust area as before. The tip is still well into the xhaust gas but before the probe was half way down the opening. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. He said 1150 and it was climbing when he let off. That much power makes for a pretty short dyno run so it will get hotter on a hard 1/4 mile run.

And the "tire kicker" is actually kicking the wheel chocks to make sure they didn't move after the run. They put big rubber chocks around the front tires as well as straps front and back.

And Jimbo, you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Taking notes . . . . .

Oh, your truck is BLUE.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
those are good numbers for a single turbo 12mm truck.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd be curious if the p-pump bench injectors are re-poppped for ve pressures. It seems the higher pop of those injectors would have at least some effect on the outcome of a bench test, weather positive or negative. In any event, the cc's seem to be in line and your truck definitely runs like a scalded dog! Congrats on the numbers and on a very, VERY sharp B L U E truck
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Nice numbers! and beautiful truck!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SOOT4BRAINS
His test bench uses stock p-pump injectors which from what I read are slightly smaller than our stock intercooled ones.
So if I understand correctly the cc's would actually be different with the injectors your running?

Originally Posted by SOOT4BRAINS
And the "tire kicker" is actually kicking the wheel chocks to make sure they didn't move after the run. They put big rubber chocks around the front tires as well as straps front and back.
Ahhhh, that makes sense
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 PM

very nice
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

G1625S, the injectors on the bench are set up for ve pop pressures. They just use the p-pump nozzles as a standard so its easier to compare pumps. I believe they can use your injectors if you send them to the shop.

MoPowa, bigger nozzles would put out more fuel on the bench just like they do in the trucks.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 AM

It was a blast, and good numbers were put sown all day. It was nice to finally see some first gens. Great Job Soot
Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 AM

Nice. Interesting to see your torque peaked at such a high RPM... close to the start of your HP max. I'm wondering if he rolled into it instead of stomping on it?

Nice truck man. Nice numbers
Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Very nice numbers, congrats!

Quick Reply: Custom 12mm pump and new dyno numbers