TXDTR #42 Forum for the Texas chapter #42

February Stephenville Meet

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been saying since 40,000 miles, hmmm might need new ones before long, and now at 75,000 miles when I can spin the tires on dry road on 60hp and its a pain in the butt to keep traction on a damp road, I'd say its time to get new ones.
As far as I know, its still the diesels not pulling until 5pm. They may have the burn out contest before that, I'm not sure.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM

Oh man lol. Yeah, new one's should be a good thing. Anything special at all, as far as the new ones go??

Oh, ok...cause I heard somewhere that the tractors started at 5 and the diesels after it. I'm kinda wondering cause I was going to try and make it, but have dinner out with a friend first then hit that up. Is it going to be descent or something a bit small? Cause if it's gonna be like De Leon lol...then I wont really bother goin lol. But if it's like S'ville then I'll sure be there. I don't really want to go just see 5 trucks though.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM

I guess I can call you at about lunchtime if you're there then and see what it might be looking like.

I've got to haul 2 loads of hay out of Tolar tomorrow and another Sat. morning. I may try and put mine on the dyno, just see how it does, so I can kinda compare it to what I'll be getting.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Chapter President

From what I've gathered off of the other chapters thread, the tractors are pulling during the day and the diesels start at 5.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Sorry I didnt make it guys...but hopefully my truck will be going by weeks end. Ive got everything I need for the new intercooler pipe on the way.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

Dang it, you should have come and dynoed, so what if you could only do 20psi.
I had someone suggest that we have a meet at the mud bowl during the week of Spring Break, Randy would you like to hold that meeting?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM

No sir....Ill probably be in Padre, not sure yet, but that is the plan. However, there will be a dyno in Denton: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=denton+dyno

Hopefully I wont have left yet for this.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM

How was Alvarado? I did not get my headgasket in time to get my tractor together, so I just stayed home and tinkered. Got my plate 100% forward and got the converter lockup switch working....little too much smoke now with the converter locked. Anyone have an HX35 or at least a turbine housing? I need boost earlier....mine is an 18cm.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by turbos10
How was Alvarado? I did not get my headgasket in time to get my tractor together, so I just stayed home and tinkered. Got my plate 100% forward and got the converter lockup switch working....little too much smoke now with the converter locked. Anyone have an HX35 or at least a turbine housing? I need boost earlier....mine is an 18cm.
Alvarado was pretty fun, and there was a pretty good number of trucks there. I just tried to change my exhaust housing last thursday because I want faster spooling and ran into some problems getting the stock housing separated from the compressor(mine is the 18 also). If you are going to try and switch housings be sure and soak the four bolts on the front side of the exhaust housing (it faces forward like the truck). These are between the exhaust housing and the compressor. I wasn't able to get one of them loose and started rounding the head so I had to quit. I also messed up the oil line while trying to move it out of the way so be careful doing that. If you move the oil line, be sure to take it off where it attaches directly to the turbo, and you'll need to soak that also to get it loose.

Dawson
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM

Yeah, mine is stuck real good from being up north. I just put new bolts on the manifold and a new oil hose. I figured I will write off the turbine bolts and get new ones. I am sure they will break. I have separated a good number of housings and I can give you some help on that.

First take it off te truck. What works is heat....get an acetylene torch burning as hot as you can and heat the housing for a minute or two. With somone holding the compressor use a 5lb sledge and tap heavily, not too heavily, until it start so move. Once it moves just lightly tap all the way around to pop it off. I have removed some that move quickly, and some that take several heat cycles. It is important to get the turbine housing hot quickly so the CHRA does not expand as much. Once heat soaked it has to cool off again for a bit.

BTW...if you have given up and want to get rid of the small housing.....
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 PM

Yeah, mine is stuck real good from being up north. I just put new bolts on the manifold and a new oil hose. I figured I will write off the turbine bolts and get new ones. I am sure they will break. I have separated a good number of housings and I can give you some help on that.

First take it off te truck. What works is heat....get an acetylene torch burning as hot as you can and heat the housing for a minute or two. With somone holding the compressor use a 5lb sledge and tap heavily, not too heavily, until it start so move. Once it moves just lightly tap all the way around to pop it off. I have removed some that move quickly, and some that take several heat cycles. It is important to get the turbine housing hot quickly so the CHRA does not expand as much. Once heat soaked it has to cool off again for a bit.

BTW...if you have given up and want to get rid of the small housing.....
I think I'm just going to try and get an HX35 instead, and keep the original turbo as is. I thought about heating it but was worried about it expanding too much and messing it up. The housing belongs to a friend of mine, and we are going to swap it later on so I won't be getting rid of it.

Dawson
Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Hey guys. I have an HX35 and 4" downpipe here in Stephenville for sale. Would prefer to sell as a pair but might seperate. The HX has ~125k miles and never made over 35 psi and was on a stock motor for the first 80k. There is basically NO excess shaft play. If anyone is interested hit me up and I will be glad to let you look at the parts.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SO5.9
Hey guys. I have an HX35 and 4" downpipe here in Stephenville for sale. Would prefer to sell as a pair but might seperate. The HX has ~125k miles and never made over 35 psi and was on a stock motor for the first 80k. There is basically NO excess shaft play. If anyone is interested hit me up and I will be glad to let you look at the parts.
Hey Brady, I think you told me about that HX35 when we met at Hard 8 a while back. I don't know if the downpipe would even work on my truck, but I'd be interested in looking at the turbo sometime. Just let me now when is good for you if you want to meet up somewhere.

Dawson
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EatMySmoke
Hey Brady, I think you told me about that HX35 when we met at Hard 8 a while back. I don't know if the downpipe would even work on my truck, but I'd be interested in looking at the turbo sometime. Just let me now when is good for you if you want to meet up somewhere.

Dawson
How about this afternoon between 1-5?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM

Dawson---I dont think Bradys turbo will work on your truck . They have a different flange for wastegate that wont clear everything and most of them have an elbow on the back of the turbo...though the elbow can be swapped. Its worth a shot though. And youll want to get a pyro because youll need to turn up your pump a little to run the hx35 efficiently.

Ive done plenty of housing swaps as well and couldnt pull this one off...it was STUCK. Didnt have heat available where we were.

Quick Reply: February Stephenville Meet