Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Will it do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
Take the sticker off the door jamb and get some heavier tires.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew DuPont
K. well, with that being said: What do i look for in my 'new' doolie?

I still want one of the older cummins - w/o emissions b/s.
sooo like up to 2007? or 8?
4x6
6 speed man.
long bed
quad cab

what do I look for?
What do y'all recommend?

wanna get this right the first time...

If you don't want ANY emissions to worry about then 2003-2004 is your best bet. Otherwise you'll have to remove the cat and add a tuner to the 2004.5-2007 if it hasn't been done already. At 2007.5 - 2012 you have a cat (2 actually), DPF, EGR and a tuner to worry about.

Really they are all great trucks. Can't go wrong especially if you can buy one with a good maintenance history. A manual will be harder to find, but worth it.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew DuPont
I still want one of the older cummins - w/o emissions b/s. sooo like up to 2007? or 8?
4x6
6 speed man.
long bed
quad cab
What do y'all recommend?
First, make sure it has tow package. Rear end, 4.10. Don't be afraid of a 2003 - - make sure it has HO upgrade on the engine. Obviously, on a 4x, look for off road abuse and front drive train problems. Lower the mileage (within reason), the better. Hopefully it will have an exhaust brake - - if not, plan on putting one on. Some gauges would be nice, but easily added (fuel pressure and EGT). Let the clutch out real slow in 2nd gear and see how smoothly it takes it - - no shudders or jerking. Check the front end closely for control arm and other joints - - is the rubber jacket still in tact. Look for slack in the 3 u joints.

My 2003 has been a very good truck. It has hauled a 16,000# fiver from Florida to Newfoundland, to Alaska, deep into Mexico - - over to the tip of Baja and all the way back up the west coast to Vancouver Island plus just about every province in Canada and most of the states. My repairs have been expected normal maintenance things like shocks, control arms, u joints - - that's about it. Still on the same brake pads and clutch and fuel pump and still looks good. About the only thing going is the clear coat - - grrr. I do drive it carefully, don't abuse it and service it on time.

Bob
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We made a trip out west last year pulling a 7500 tag along camper with a dually. We had no problems at all. I think one thing you have to concerned about is the wind that sometime blows real bad in some of the western states. We got in a good amount of head and worst yet cross winds. I think the DRW make a lot of difference. Love the stability of the dually. Just my 2 cents worth.
LOL
Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by samaf
We made a trip out west last year pulling a 7500 tag along camper with a dually. We had no problems at all. I think one thing you have to concerned about is the wind that sometime blows real bad in some of the western states. We got in a good amount of head and worst yet cross winds. I think the DRW make a lot of difference. Love the stability of the dually.
The bumper pull trailer is normally cheaper, not as much room, usually few and smaller slides, but, as stated here, the bumper pull trailer is not as stable. On the road you hardly know it is back there when it comes to winds. I have been in 50mph winds and had no problems holding it straight. Could not have done that with bumper pull or with the old 2500. I was rolling along while the diesel pusher motorhomes were having to pull off the road.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If you find yourself getting buffeted by side winds with a fifth wheel, stop and get some Lucas fifth wheel lube (snot) on the hitch. It'll make a world of difference.

A sticky fifth wheel can feel like a flat tire sometimes.