Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Upcoming Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upcoming Trip

Here on the 18th, my wife and I are making a trip from out here in San Diego ALL the way out to Lewisburg, WV. We are going to be towing a Dodge Dakota behind us all the way to about where the I-44E/I-55N meet (roughly 1850 miles of the trip). The load is going to weigh between 4-4500lbs. Here is what I am checking for BEFORE I leave.

Tire Tread, Tire Pressure, Tire Obstructions (i.e. nails), Tire Balance, the oil has already been changed about 1000 miles ago, fuel filter is still good for about 5k more miles, tranny fluid still has about 10k left on it's life but I WILL check the fluid level, air filter is clean, I am buying new wiper blades and checking fluid leves on that, I am going to check the brake fluid, pads and rotors, coolant levels and taking a gallon or two extra just in case, I am going to grease the zerks and drive shaft fittings before taking off and I am going to wash/claybar and wax the truck to protect against harsh acid rain in some states and put two applications off Rain-X on all the windows (stuff is AWESOME!). Then when I get home, I am going to change the oil before driving back out here (I will be empty on the way back). Anything I am missing guys?

This will be my route: I-8E to the AZ-85N to the I-10E to the AZ-101 loop to the I-17N to the I-40E, then take the John Kilpatrick Turnpike to Turner Turnpike, then merge onto the I-44E (toll road) to the I-55N/I-70E then hit the I-64E all the way home...any serious grades I should be looking for other than the decent ones on the I-8 to El Centro that I already know about and the PRETTY good ones on the I-64E from Beckley to Lewisburg? Thanks ahead of time guys!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Just curious on the extra antifreeze your taking though, do you overheat? If not I wouldn't worry about it but your bed will hold it so... Also are you flat towing the Dakota or trailer towing. I know our Durango has the option to disable drive shafts for flat towing. If flat towing and 4x4 and you don't have the option to disengage the drive shafts via transfer case you might want to pull the front drive shaft just to be safe.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Just curious on the extra antifreeze your taking though, do you overheat? If not I wouldn't worry about it but your bed will hold it so... Also are you flat towing the Dakota or trailer towing. I know our Durango has the option to disable drive shafts for flat towing. If flat towing and 4x4 and you don't have the option to disengage the drive shafts via transfer case you might want to pull the front drive shaft just to be safe.

Good luck.
Nope, no overheating issues at all...I'm just overly cautious is all. It would suck to be in the middle of arizona, new mexico or texas without a little extra if something WERE to happen...this way I would be able to let it cool, add some and limp it somewhere.

the truck (dakota) will be on a dolly as much as I hate them. I am pulling it for a friend (Chevy 1500 with 130K miles on it) and since I will get MUCH better mileage than he will pulling it and mileage comparable to him empty, he is renting the dolly and paying me for fuel to the I-44/I-55 cut off where we will branch off from each other and he will take over for the last 90 miles of his trip to Springfield, IL. We want to keep things as light as possible for HIM, so we steered clear of trailers and transports (dolly only weighs about 500lbs). Dakota's front wheels will be mounted on the dolly and the drive shaft will be taken out from the rear axle and secured to the frame.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Double and triple check the clamps/ratchet straps on the front Dakota wheels on the dolly. I've seen too many straps flopping in the breeze, try to get the person to pull over and they think your going to rob them. Hook up and tow, just before the interstate recheck everything and then every fuel stop.

have fun
Old 10-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
Double and triple check the clamps/ratchet straps on the front Dakota wheels on the dolly. I've seen too many straps flopping in the breeze, try to get the person to pull over and they think your going to rob them. Hook up and tow, just before the interstate recheck everything and then every fuel stop.

have fun
yep, I checked those the WHOLE way out here when me and my wife came out to San Diego...they are another reason why I hate dollies. with chains and binders, you just tighten them once, drive tighten them one more time (if they even need it) and go on about your business. plus a trailer has brakes and dollies don't. I'm not worried about my truck, it will maintain whatever I put the cruise on with a load that light behind it all day, but my buddy's gasser...not so much. Hopefully that 90 miles from the I-44/I-55N to Springfield doesn't present any serious grades for him...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll have respectable grades going up I-17, into Flagstaff. No too bad into Abq. Outside (east) Abq, you'll have anther set of grades. Once into Texas, it gets flat & boring!

However, with the load you mentioned, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

HTH

Tony
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Get some of that power service additive for your fuel you will get better milage and it may get cold in some areas?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Get some of that power service additive for your fuel you will get better milage and it may get cold in some areas?
Thanks, man...might give that a shot. I am pretty skeptical about additives in my truck though. I went to Howe's Meaner Power Cleaner a few months back and it gave me rough idle/smoke on start up issues along with a couple hard starts. I changed out the fuel filter thinking that might be the case, went a few tankfuls without the Howes and everything was fine...then went back to the Howes and halfway through that tankful I was back to rough idle and smoke...sold all the rest of my Howes to a fella on here that was local. At that point, I had heard GREAT things about Howes products...but my experience was bad.

I don't think that my truck cares for additives, but I MIGHT end up giving it a shot.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyB
You'll have respectable grades going up I-17, into Flagstaff. No too bad into Abq. Outside (east) Abq, you'll have anther set of grades. Once into Texas, it gets flat & boring!

However, with the load you mentioned, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

HTH

Tony
Thanks man, this is good info to know...I appreciate it!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
I-40E, then take the John Kilpatrick Turnpike to Turner Turnpike, then merge onto the I-44E (toll road) to the I-55N/I-70E then hit the I-64E all the way home...
Why not take I-40E all the way to I-55N to I-57N to 64E? Wouldn't that be shorter? Also no Tolls. It would involve your Buddy having to pull for a bit further. Oh well, enjoy your trip.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
Hopefully that 90 miles from the I-44/I-55N to Springfield doesn't present any serious grades for him...
No problem there. No grades to speak of. Just flat farm country most of the way. Just a few river bottoms and small hills. It will be an easy pull for him.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
Why not take I-40E all the way to I-55N to I-57N to 64E? Wouldn't that be shorter? Also no Tolls. It would involve your Buddy having to pull for a bit further. Oh well, enjoy your trip.
We're not really worried about tolls, just making the trip as short as possible for his truck...and according to MapQuest, the 44 offers the shortest TIME on the trip and that is our main priority. I am in the Navy and will be on leave and the earlier we can get home, the better. The 40 is a shorter DISTANCE trip...either way, thanks for posting up man. I appreciate the news about the non-existant grades for his gasser going on up to Springfield...he'll be happy to hear that!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM

Back in April I pulled a UHaul car trailer with a Ford Ranger on it from Katy Texas to San Bernadino Calif. The Ranger was loaded down as well as the bed of my truck. We drove 75 and 80 MPH on the wide open stretches and never missed a lick. We even averaged 11.7 MPG while loaded down. I talked with a guy in Van Horn Texas that was pulling a small pickup with a dolly. He was wishing he had paid a little more money and got the trailer instead. He said he felt it would have pulled better.

Bearwhiz
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bearwhiz
Back in April I pulled a UHaul car trailer with a Ford Ranger on it from Katy Texas to San Bernadino Calif. The Ranger was loaded down as well as the bed of my truck. We drove 75 and 80 MPH on the wide open stretches and never missed a lick. We even averaged 11.7 MPG while loaded down. I talked with a guy in Van Horn Texas that was pulling a small pickup with a dolly. He was wishing he had paid a little more money and got the trailer instead. He said he felt it would have pulled better.

Bearwhiz
Oh yeah, I KNOW that they pull better. I loathe dollies...they are an utter waste of engineering, in my opinion...but my buddy is paying for everything, not me...I already told him my opinions of them and it didn't matter. I'll pull the thing for him though, I don't mind...I won't even be able to tell it's back there other than those annoying ramp sounds when you hot bumps
Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take a couple of five gallon jugs of diesel just in case you run out for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Trip