Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trip report

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report

We left Eastern Oregon via HWY 140 for Winnemuca, a few days ago. The very first hill is an 8% grade, over 2 miles long, topping out at around 5,700 feet. The hill starts with a sharp turn at the bottom so you can't get a decent run at it no matter what the weather. A little ice on the road near the top, but the truck didn't have any problem pullling up the grade. We are in Iowa now, and never had any problem pulling the grade on any pass across Utah, Wyoming or Nebraska. There was lots of Ice and snow the whole way, but keeping the speed down and leaving it in 4WD and Tow/Haul mode was just the ticket. We spent the night in Sydney NE, in the parking lot of Cabella's, National Headquarters. Talk about a shopping spree. I waited past Christmas for that day.
We are pulling about 7,000 pounds of trailer, and have the ATV in the back of the truck. From Sydney on to about North Platte, there where big rigs, and SUV's in the median, and on the side, about every 1/2 mile or so. Lots of people just won't slow down. We saw at least 8 vehicles that passed us, end up in the ditch less than a mile ahead of us. That was all on one day (12/30/2006). Drove over 150 miles at 25 mph in long line of big trucks, maybe about 100 rigs.
Temps ranged in the low teens, like 12-15, occaisionally up to 20, from Lakeview OR, to well past North Platte, NE. It got to 29 after that, then about 40 near Omaha.
The truck stops are selling #1 deisel. In NE there was even a sign, on the pump that said: "if you don't have a tank heater, do not pump # 2, use the next pump, which is #1."
Freezing rain the last 100 miles of so, coating trees, and breaking limbs.
I love this truck. It hauls and tows like nobody's business.
Tomorrow I am going to see about an oil change, and check the air in the tires, and check the torque on all the lug nuts.
Avg about 11.45 to 14 mpg, depending on speeds, most of the Nevada speeds were about 65-75, and made 11.45 for two tanks, with a 20 mph wind from the left quarter.
Did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah, flying J has the best price on Deisel, but the Pilot has the better showers. We even stopped at a non-chain truck stop, and they gave us free showers for fillling up. Nice big clean bathroom with plenty of towels. That really helps with fatigue.
there was a question on another thread regarding the load equalizer hitch. Mine is an EZ lift, along iwth an EZ lift brand anti-sway bar. works great. I had it at 4 links until I got on the snow, then I dropped to three links, to put more weight on the rear tires. Worked great, no more breaking loose.
Also, the Timbren overloads are incredible. The rear ones do NOT touch until you put a load on it, then they come into play. I love them.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You were lucky with the showers . The major truck stops only give one shower with each fillup over 50 gallons . That's a sore point with dually drivers and expediters running vans . They never buy 50 gallons at a time unless they have auxillary tanks so they are expected to pay for showers .
Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's been a mess here in Nebraska. 1.5" of ice covered everything near Kearney knocking out power. 7" of snow here in Lincoln on top of 1/2" ice. Roads are passable, travel not recommended.

Glad you made it through okay.