Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Spare Set of Axle Bearings for a Travel Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Set of Axle Bearings for a Travel Trailer?

Do any of you guys carry a spare set of axle bearings for your travel trailers, while traveling?

I'm re-packing my trailer bearings, today, and started thinking about what I'd do if I burned-up a set while on the road. I wonder if this is over-kill? I re-pack my bearings, annually. I wonder if that is enough? You can't carry everything that could possibly break.
A spare set would cost about $16.00+ tax.

When the bearings go bad, do the races go, also? If so, how do you replace the races? Is that something you can do on the side of the road?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 PM

Well since nobody else has jumped in, I'll take a shot at it. The life of the packing depends on how much you tow in a year, and what kinds of weather and terrain. If you are in lots of dust and dirt, and even snowy/salty roads, then do them more often. If you just about live in your trailer and tow it lots of miles, do them more often. But if they always look pretty clean and not worn or loose when you repack them, then you are probably on a good schedule.

To replace them, you will need a hammer and a punch, and also a large socket that is just a hair smaller than the outer diameter of the outer races of the bearings. To replace the bearings, you remove the drums like you do when packing them, then use the punch to drive the races out of the drum. Use the socket to drive the new races into the drum, grease the new bearings, and reassemble. Replacing the races isn't a big job, but they are sometimes hard to remove from the drum.

Jim
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM

And if you burn em up on the road..... DO NOT GRAB HOLD OF THE WHEEL...... they seem to stay good and hot for a while.......

I think it would be worthwhile to have while on the road....
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It sounds like you keep on top of your maintenance. I don't think someone like you needs to worry about carrying spare bearings, but it sure can't hurt. It's usually people who have towed the trailer for ten years without realizing they need maintenance that have breakdowns.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:45 AM

I keep current on bearing maintenance, but always carry a spare set of bearings with me; but not the races. With my little trailer on long trips I carry a spare hub assy. I'm not equipped to change out the races on a trip - nor would I expect to.

Now if your trailer has some odd-ball size for whatever reason - I'd for sure carry spares with me.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01 PM

Seems like cheap insurance to me, just in case. If you have a tongue box why not just throw a bearing or two into the box? I had a bunch of spare parts and just keep them in the trailer box. Good place to store them anyway, because you know where they are!
Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
As many of these things that we have to rescue every summer, I would be tempted to carry an entire axle, wheels, springs, and all.

The smaller diameter the tire, the more revolutions the bearing has to make.

I see brand new trailers every day that the bearing-lock-nut is so loose that the wheel is about to fall off.

The trailer manufacturers don't take time to check behind the axle manufacturers; and the trailer sales lots don't take time to check behind the trailer manufacturers. People hull out their money and blindly assume that everything is ready for the road. They hook to their shiny new trailer and 500 miles later, they are having to buy a new axle in some little rinkydink town that is not gonna acknowledge their warranty and don't take plastic money.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:26 PM

Carry bearings? Why bother?

By the time you see smoke coming out of the bearings in your rear view mirror, you've ruined the axle spindle. Extra bearings ain't gonna help...

Keep 'em properly packed and maintained, and you won't see smoke in your mirror.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 AM

roadranger said

By the time you see smoke coming out of the bearings in your rear view mirror, you've ruined the axle spindle. Extra bearings ain't gonna help...

Keep 'em properly packed and maintained, and you won't see smoke in your mirror.
01-14-2006 03:08 PM

Like he just said after all that smoke a 55 gal drum of grease and 50 spare bearings won't help.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM

Cool Now thats just wrong

Originally Posted by roadranger

Now that just wrong if you drive sensible you will not need a new Axel if you loose a set of bearings. I have puled trailers for over 40 years and you will loose a bearing some place in the middle of no were one night on dark road. GET a set ready, I carry a hole HUB bearing in place packed and ready to bolt on the Axel 15-20 min and your dun back on the road. @25 dollars it's cheap insurance to have just in case. I'm dun
Old 01-21-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pulled my hubs the first year I had my trailer only to find they were the lubrimatic type axles. Been keeping them greased going on seven years with no probs. I do need to replace the brakes on all the axles just because though. It's time.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 AM

Just my small piece of opinion here ...

I think it wouldn't hurt to carry a spare set, just in case. However, swapping out the races on the side of the road is not going to be pleasant. Bearings and races are machined to match each other and should be used together as a set. That being said however, in an emergency, I would see nothing wrong in leaving the old race in there(as long as it wasn't totally cooked) and swap bearings to get you and your trailer to safety. Don't forget to carry plenty of grease !!

It wouldn't be the best option and surely not something that you would want to leave that way ....

PISTOL