Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Reese 5th wheel hitch over rear axle or ahead? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/reese-5th-wheel-hitch-over-rear-axle-ahead-214200/)

Smooth 08-15-2008 08:06 AM

Reese 5th wheel hitch over rear axle or ahead?

I have a 20k Reese 5th wheel hitch (#30033), with install plate instructions (#30035), in my 2008 3500 Dodge Dually with 8 foot bed.

My Dodge dealer followed the instructions to install this for me. Reese instructions and tech support want this mounted right over the rear axle. Yet after the install, a Reese rep at an RV store said it would be best to have it as much as 5 inches forward of the current position. He said the front wheels are not sharing any of the load. The Reese web site even conflicts on this, saying 52 inches from the cab to the center of the king pin is a minimum. I have found several sources which also suggest a position slightly ahead of the rear axle.

Apparently the truck design made this the desired mounting for Reese. Is Reese lazy about designing a better kit for this truck? Is there a better hitch which addresses this (I don't care about the money I already spent)? Doesn't it really matter?

Thank you !!

- Smooth

cincydiesel 08-15-2008 08:35 AM

Reese is the only company that I've ever heard that wanted the placement over the axles. Dad's 3500 DRW has a Reese mounted over the axle by a Dodge dealership. That truck will BEAT YOU TO DEATH hauling a G/N due to no weight being shared with the front axle. I was going to try a relocate it and actually cut a new hole in the bed but the design will not allow the foward placement dut the interferance with the frame of the truck. In my opinion its a poor design. If it was me I'd sell it and buy another brand

John Bellmyer 08-15-2008 09:09 AM

Hitch Placement

All the instructions I have seen state that the hitch needs to be around 4to5 inches forward of the rear axle. This allows the distribution of the king pin weight over the entire truck. If your weight is too far back it will make your truck front end light and will cause an un-safe condition. I would definitely contact Reese to ensure that the hitch is in the right position before you hook up and go down the road. I know that the ones that I have installed the measurements were taken from the rear of the bed forward for location.
Good luck and be safe...

CTD NUT 08-15-2008 11:28 AM

Some Reese pin boxes can be flipped around in their mounts to either push the pin slightly forward or aft a few inches. This adjustment is separate from the mounting rail location. Something to look into, anyway.

But yes, 4-5" ahead of the rear axle is fairly common for the pin location - that is where it should be!

Edit: After looking at the diagram of a #30033, it appears that the pin box is not on an offset swivel so the pin cannot be moved fore or aft.

2500 08-15-2008 11:55 AM

good info ...

Smooth 08-18-2008 12:05 AM

These have been great reassuring answers. Thank you. Unfortunately it was already installed. So... which manufacture will offer the right configuration for my truck (2008 Dodge dually w/8ft bed)?

Thank you,
- Smooth

CTD NUT 08-18-2008 11:48 AM

I have a 3rd gen QC dually (same frame as you) and I can tell you from first hand experience that a Reese/Drawtite/Hidden Hitch 18k signature series 5ver hitch fits on the truck in exactly the right spot. The pin center is 4" ahead of the rear axle center line.

Got Juice? 08-18-2008 12:39 PM

On my last install, I went 3.5" Much better balance than the full 4" forward of centerline.

CTD NUT 08-18-2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Got Juice? (Post 2180681)
On my last install, I went 3.5" Much better balance than the full 4" forward of centerline.

You are saying you actually feel a 1/2" difference in pin placement?

Got Juice? 08-18-2008 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT (Post 2180768)
You are saying you actually feel a 1/2" difference in pin placement?

Yes, but it depends on how much weight you are towing.

If you tow heavy (hauling hay 20K, equipment CASE465 SSL (11,200+7K trailer)

Then yes, 1/2 inch means the difference between 'hobbyhorsing' like mad down a crowned road, and controlled movement.

Of course I have since added airbags so I can fool with weight centers a little more. :)

P.J 08-18-2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT (Post 2180634)
I have a 3rd gen QC dually (same frame as you) and I can tell you from first hand experience that a Reese/Drawtite/Hidden Hitch 18k signature series 5ver hitch fits on the truck in exactly the right spot. The pin center is 4" ahead of the rear axle center line.

I had the same hitch, also seen some 24K's installed too.

VERY NICE hitch, install went super smooth, hitch worked flawlessly for me many happy miles. Certainly never a rough ride.

ValkSmile 08-20-2008 12:13 PM

I'm gettin ready to have a 16k Drawtite slider installed in my 2006 QC 4x4 short bed. Does anyone know if the Drawtite sits over the rear axle? Should I be buying a different 5th wheel hitch so I can get more weight on the front axles? If so what hitch to get?

Got Juice? 08-20-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ValkSmile (Post 2182898)
I'm gettin ready to have a 16k Drawtite slider installed in my 2006 QC 4x4 short bed. Does anyone know if the Drawtite sits over the rear axle? Should I be buying a different 5th wheel hitch so I can get more weight on the front axles? If so what hitch to get?

I have never used Drawtite, so I can't make a comparison.

I have used Reese exclusively since 1992. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

ValkSmile 08-20-2008 01:25 PM

Just called the dealer and he is actually ordering me a Reese now not a Drawtite like he told me last week. So how about where that Reese is installed?

CTD NUT 08-20-2008 02:30 PM

Reese/Drawtite/Hidden Hitch = all the same company....manufactured by CEQUENT TOWING PRODUCTS INC. What hitch did you order? Part #?