Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

mobile home axles... can they be made legal for trailer axles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I must show my ignorance: What is a dayton type wheel? Are these the old style spoked hub, with the tabs and bolts holing a rim and tire combo?

What makes the mobile home tire illegal? Construction? Declared use? I am not up to speed on this at all! I just got to looking at my 5vr and don't like the way the tires are sitting since the dealer performed the axle flip to clear my 4x4. Are Mobile Home axles not a good replacement option, or are they OK with replacement hubs and wheels?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Dayton wheels are as you describe ,spokes with tabs .I think you will find every jurisdiction has different rules regarding the use of mobile home axles,so best to ask the DOT in your area .If their answer is not satisfactory ,check with the state.I personally would not use them. First off most are to wide and must be narrowed ,then camber will need to be corrected. I hate those dayton hubs ,seen to many loose or off for my liking,tires wear funny, rubber seems to dry up faster ,etc. So by the time you shorten and recamber the axles,and replace the hubs and tires ,you might as well buy a new set of axles .Look around and you will find some very good deals for new proper axles for the trailer you want.The other choice is to check some of the buy sell type papers or ebay and you can find some really good deals on brand new trailers I'm always amazed at the variety of prices on same quality trailers .I know that you would spend almost as much to build some as what they ask. If you buy factory built then it's their name on the line if something fails.Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Here in Virginia I believe they are legal, I had them on my trailer, 3 axles, and they passed VA inspection. However I once lost three wheels at the same time.If the tire looses air the clamps can come loose and the wheel comes off.For me it is not worth the savings to run mobile home axles. new proper trailer axles don't cost that much to be worth the safety issues.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:13 PM

I will say that around here, using them are a signal for a dot inspection if dot is out there looking. You may very well have legal tires, but they will stop to check that, and everything else while they are at it. Mobile home tires are stamped for just that purpose and using them for commerce is illegal. Legal tires may be purchased for the same 14.5 wheel.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM

In NC if the trailer was built before the law then it is grandfathered in. But if you build a new trailer with the mobile home axels the DOT will not pass the inspection and without that they wont give you a tag for it.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Why is this even an issue?
What makes mobile home axles special?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cheap.....
Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
cheap.....
Well, I always thought so, but after reading this thread and getting an education, it seems like it is a bad deal both financially and personal safety. I will start researching further. Thanks all, for answering my questions!

Are all Dayton wheels illegal now? I still see many trailers and trucks running them, all over the Midwest...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I hate them, but there are alot of trailers out there with them.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by zulusafari
Are all Dayton wheels illegal now? I still see many trailers and trucks running them, all over the Midwest...

NO SIR.

You can buy a brand new truck, or trailer, equipped with Dayton hubs/wheels, if you so desire.

At the shop, I see just about as many Dayton, as Budd.

The local phone company/co-op just got three brand-new bucket-trucks, all three equipped with Dayton wheels.

The local rural-electric co-op also has many new trucks equipped likewise.

I believe in the position I am in, if something had changed, I would have received literature to that effect.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 AM

I knew that they made a decision on tube type wheels and was not sure if that included Dayton wheels. Just proves that if you are not sure of something... do not print it even as a "they may"
Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM

what actually caused rim to come loose? loosing air or improperly tightening/mounting rim on hub?

I'd like to know if this is an isolated instance or a common occurrence with dayton hub/wheels, flying off if you lose air.

Originally Posted by ronnie
Here in Virginia I believe they are legal, I had them on my trailer, 3 axles, and they passed VA inspection. However I once lost three wheels at the same time.If the tire looses air the clamps can come loose and the wheel comes off.For me it is not worth the savings to run mobile home axles. new proper trailer axles don't cost that much to be worth the safety issues.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Bearkiller has stated, dayton set ups are widley available and used in most severe duty applications, it is the "split ring rim assemblies' that were outlawed because of the mounting and inflation hazard. The main problem with the mobile home axle is the tires used, and wether the installer set proper tire pressures, and mounted the rim to the hub and trued it out and set the proper torque on the lugs.

The biggest problem with them is a when they have a tire failure and the loaded weight brings the rim in contact with the road surface, the rim folds and disintgrates creating a chain reaction usually resulting in other tire/rim failures on the same side immediately.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM

if this is true... then why would dayton hub/rims be used commonly for the heaviest duty applications?

as you pointed out I see dayton type rims on lots of heavy equipment.

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
The biggest problem with them is a when they have a tire failure and the loaded weight brings the rim in contact with the road surface, the rim folds and disintgrates creating a chain reaction usually resulting in other tire/rim failures on the same side immediately.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
what actually caused rim to come loose? loosing air or improperly tightening/mounting rim on hub?

I'd like to know if this is an isolated instance or a common occurrence with dayton hub/wheels, flying off if you lose air.
I've run them on a lot of trailers in the past and found out that by checking the lug nuts for tightness every so often (fuel stops, pre & post-trip inspection) I never had a problem. I do the same with Budd wheels.

Quick Reply: mobile home axles... can they be made legal for trailer axles?