Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

looking to make a little extra cash

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to make a little extra cash

I know there are a few threads on this already, but I couldn't find one that answered my questions, so here they are...I'm kinda looking to make a little extra cash with my truck to haul some cars or freight locally and maybe make 1-2 runs per week.

1. How do I get started?
2. Do I need a CDL?
3. Insurance?
4. Most importantly...is it worth it?

I don't have anything to haul with yet, but I know where I can get a relatively cheap ($3.5k) used, good condition flatbed and I would also have to get a brake controller and a gooseneck hitch...so could I pay all this off by hauling just a couple times a week or is that just a really stupid question?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Yes, if you can remain incognito, and not get checked/caught, you can pick up some extra pocket money doing light hauling.

If you get caught, yes, you will need CDL-class A.

Also, cab-card, IFTA, log book, D.O.T. registration numbers, etc., etc.

It costs way more to run a truck and trailer than the uninitiated can imagine; therefore, there is a never-ending stream of skin-flints out there that will give you more hauling than you can do, so long as you are doing it cheaper than they can do it themselves.

It seems that these crooks can sniff out an in-experienced hauler and flock to him like buzzards to a dying calf.

Many more gooseneck haulers sneak under all the communist regulations, and get by for years, than ever get caught; so, you may be able to pay off that trailer and have it for your own use.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 AM

Hmm ok so as long as I dont get stopped and checked out by the DOT then im good to go? sounds kinda risky to me because if I do get stopped then I have to pay off a load of fines along with everything else...i might just look into gettingh a CDL...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 AM

This doesn't really have all that much to do with getting your CDL unless you are over 26,000 lbs gcwr/gcw. If you want to be legal, it is expensive and you will have to make sure that you can even break even doing 2 runs a week.

Check out: http://xj.cdevco.net/ and read "To Do" list for all new for-hire operations" also read LandLine article "Take Control with your own operating authority".