Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Keystone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keystone?

Anyone own a Keystone Cougar? If so how do you like it? Just went up Sat. and bought a model 285 efs 30 ft 5th wheel. The wife and I have been looking and checking for over a year now and this was the floor plan we liked best.<br> From the reviews I read in RV America it rates real well, 4 star was the lowest rating out of over 20 I read, most being 5 star.<br> Hope it holds up as well as my old Jayco did.<br> Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Keystone?

Hey Chuck,<br> We have a 2002 Keystone Cougar and other than a few minor things that should have been caught during a quality inspection before it left the factory, we have been very well pleased with ours. Ours is the 286 EFS and my folks have a 2002 278 EFS, which they have been very happy with.<br> Here is the floor plan on ours.<br><br><br>Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours! ;D
Old 06-30-2003, 06:08 AM

Chuck3,<br> I've seen them and they are nice units. Congrats on the new toy. Enjoy...<br>Big dawg
Old 06-30-2003, 01:22 PM

Location: Land of Oil Wells, Sooners, and No-blinker using fools

Ditto to everything Rattlin says. Very similar camper setup. I had minor problems - my dealer mechanics truely stink - I fixed myself. They were, however, able to reseal the front cap area and install a new shower enclosure (too bad they couldn't screw the cold water supply fitting back on without stripping it). Light weight camper, tows great with mine/better with my wife's (with tow/camper package). Winterizing is a breeze too - don't let them con you into to their service.<br><br><br>Rattlin: how are you able to post pictures right in your message?<br><br>JR
Old 06-30-2003, 05:39 PM

my wife and I looked at the 295 EFS last weekend. pretty cool addition in the main bedroom, where you have a slide-out and the bed is oriented sideways instead of longways in the trailer. This model (a &quot;northwest&quot; model mfg in Oregon) is high -- 12' with the A/C, and has enough clearance over the bed of my 02.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:43 PM

Dennis thanks, thats good news. Thats a real nice floorplan<br> on yours.<br> Big dawg thanks, we will be taking it on its Maiden Voyage to Yellowstone the last part of July.<br> JR thanks.<br> Doug I was wondering about the clearance betwwen the bed and the front of the unit, I,m kinda worried I might have trouble backing into my driveway as the road has two layers of asphlat and the gutters kinda deep, hope I don't bottom out on the sides, I,m going to have to be carefull.<br> How much clearance do you guys have betwwen the bedsides &amp; unit?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Administrator

This might give you an idea Chuck, <br> CLICK HERE
Old 06-30-2003, 07:25 PM

Nice looking rig Dennis thanks again. You have lots of clearance, I wonder if the 4x4 will have that much, your is a 2 wl dr isn't it? I hope mine has that much, I will pick it up Sat morn.
I love the Sport in that color, very nice.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Administrator

[quote author=CHUCK3 link=board=11;threadid=16511;start=0#155185 date=1057019145]<br> Nice looking rig Dennis thanks again. You have lots of clearance, I wonder if the 4x4 will have that much, your is a 2 wl dr isn't it? <br> I love that the Sport in that color, very nice.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the compliment! ;D<br> The truck is 2WD short-bed with 245 Michelins. The rig sits nice and level going down the road. My hitch center (5er pin) is actually about 2&quot; behind the rear axle, which I know is not the way most folks have theirs. I did this to gain just a little more room being that it is a short-bed. But the truck rides very good and is very well balanced. I think some of the reason, is that the pin weight is only 1130 due to the slide-outs being located more in the rear of the trailer. <br> The color of the truck and camper do match very good,,,,, don't they? My folks had bought their Cougar before we did and I always joked with Dad that his camper would look much better behind my truck than it did behind his black V-10 Ram. He would reply &quot;Well go out and get you your own&quot;,,,,,,,, so I did,,,,,, one just a little bit bigger than his! ;D Then to top it off,,,,,,, I pulled out and passed him climbing the Afton Mountain grade on I-64 just so he could hear my straight-piped Cummins sing to him as we pulled away! ;D
Old 06-30-2003, 07:49 PM

Yes, I'm also interested in the clearance issue because of my 4 x 4, as well. Chuck, keep us advised.<br><br>~Dave
Old 06-30-2003, 09:07 PM

Just a thought! I went to a farm supply store and bought a set of HD (Hard Rubber) Swiveling wheels for $37.50 a pair, to mount on rear of frame. The RV store wanted $156 for a pair that were just Hard plastic, same as what came on trailer, and were worthless after 2 years. Last time I saw trailer, 5 yrs later; my sister bought it, they were good as new!! Sure stood up to the taildragging a lot better!! Daryl
Old 07-01-2003, 05:37 PM

[quote author=NWDave link=board=11;threadid=16511;start=0#155195 date=1057020543]<br>Yes, I'm also interested in the clearance issue because of my 4 x 4, as well. Chuck, keep us advised.<br><br>~Dave<br>[/quote] <br><br><br> Will do Dave.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What hitch are you getting?

I'm guessing a slider, due to the short bed issues.

Trailer place installing it? or elsewhere?

Don't know much about 5th wheel hitches, except what I've read on here.
Don't think a 5th wheel is in my future, at least with this truck.
I'll be lucky to be able to find a drop hitch long enough that can still carry the weight of a travel trailer.
No trailers anytime soon, except maybe a toy hauler or something similair.

anywayz,

phox
Old 07-01-2003, 05:48 PM

Yes Jerry I,m going with a slider, taking the truck up Sat morn for hitch to be installed. <br> I had to get a special drop hitch for my old trailer as the one I had for the chev would not work, it was not low enough and the tail of trailer was way lower. But they make them that would most likely work for you.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 AM

chuck3 I've been reading about slider hitches too. have you considered the 16K pullrite superglide? seems to have good support on the rv forum, well made and all of that. Just from my introductory reading I would sure look into that one. Its rails are under the bed, so when you take it out you just plug holes with plastic inserts. The big towing benefit is that it is an automatic, continuously variable slider that allows full 90 degree turns even for short bed trucks. you don't have to get out to engage the slider and then put it back when you go on the highway again.

Quick Reply: Keystone?