Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Installing 7 Pin In Bed, need help. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/installing-7-pin-bed-need-help-271554/)

Purplezr2 06-11-2010 06:41 PM

Installing 7 Pin In Bed, need help.

So I bought the valley adapter kit to install my 7 pin in bed to hook to a gooseneck, issue is I can find the factory plug, does anyone know were it is, my 7pin at the back of the truck on the hitch is wired straight in, no plug there, did someone cut the plug of or am I missing something. Thanks

rich 06-11-2010 08:12 PM

possible your truck didnt come with it and previous owner hard wired it

annabelle 06-11-2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by rich (Post 2783191)
possible your truck didnt come with it and previous owner hard wired it

Mine does not have the plug like my 98 GMC did.......it is hard wired.

SkyHarborCowboy 06-12-2010 01:29 AM

Here is what I have done for years and it works great. Make an extension male plug at one end and a female plug for the bed end. Make it long enough so that it goes over the the top of the rear bumper and then run the cable under the bed and over the frame to where you want to locate the female. Drill your holes, feed the wire through install your female end onto the wires and then mount that to the bed. That way you are not cutting and splicing wires that will just lead to future corrosion.

Joe

By the way, check out www.gooseneckshades.com they may have something you can use! Its pretty darn cool, no pun intended!

Valv 06-12-2010 06:01 AM

There is a connector you plug into, it's under the left side, partially under the fender, follow the harness from the trailer connector all the way forward, you'll find it.

FiverBob 06-12-2010 06:51 AM

Do it the easy way. Tie in at the back. I located my new plug in the side of the bed about 1' forward from the tail gate and about 4" up from the floor - - lots of space to to get it from under the truck. Locate the matching wires coming from the bumper 7 pin and solder your pigtails from the new plug to them, then seal the connections weather tight. Use some flex wire guard to finish off your install. Took about one hour total. Now both plugs work.

Bob

Copenhagenjunkie 06-12-2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2 (Post 2783140)
So I bought the valley adapter kit to install my 7 pin in bed to hook to a gooseneck, issue is I can find the factory plug, does anyone know were it is, my 7pin at the back of the truck on the hitch is wired straight in, no plug there, did someone cut the plug of or am I missing something. Thanks

I would just extend the wires on the trailer, much easier to work standing up.

annabelle 06-12-2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Valv (Post 2783342)
There is a connector you plug into, it's under the left side, partially under the fender, follow the harness from the trailer connector all the way forward, you'll find it.

Mine does not have that, but I did buy it used(I don't know what the original owner did).

OldDodgeOwner 06-12-2010 11:25 AM

I'm guessing someone cut the plug. My 2000 had the plug on the back of the trailer plug that the Valley kit plugged in to.

All good suggestions here. Cut the plug off the Valley and solder it into the harness, Wire a 7way onto the end of the Valley harness and just plug it in, or ditch the in-bed idea and extend the cable on the trailer.

Personally, I'd just solder the wires in behind the bumper. Don't have to mess with a plug that way and extending the trailer cable only works if all you pull is your own trailers.

Copenhagenjunkie 06-13-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldDodgeOwner (Post 2783467)
extending the trailer cable only works if all you pull is your own trailers.

Yes, keep a 3' extension coiled up and stowed for those times.

Jeff in TD 06-13-2010 07:47 PM

On my 03 I knew I was going to trade up, so I bought a trailer extension cord (male on one end, female on the other). I didn't want it draped over the tail gate and chaffing up the paint, so I took one end off the extension and threaded it through the hole on the side of the stake pocket, down through to the rear bumper, and put the end back on and plugged it in. Then I just zip tied the female part to the tie down ancor in the bed of the truck.

For the 06, I installed a socket inside the bed, using the one that hooks to the factory connector at the back of the bumper plug.

If yours doesn't have the connecor at the back of the socket on the bumper, I'd presume the truck wasn't ordered with the tow package, and aftermarket stuff was put on, in which case splice with solder and shrink tubing might be required (or just use an extension).