Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Electric Trailer Brakes Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Trailer Brakes Again

Well, I finally found the time to hook to the trailer again and check the voltage. All four hubs showed 6.4 volts. I then unplugged the trailer and checked the plug on my truck to see what the brake box was putting out there. It showed about 7.8 volts. These numbers seem low, but I have no idea what normal is, and I can lock the brakes on our two other trailers when they are empty. My brake box is a Powerstop that I ordered from Northern Tool. I know it's not in the same league as the Prodigy or Jordan, but It works great on every trailer but this one.<br><br>I was going to check the the amp draw, but my little multimeter says it is only good for 10 amps. I was afraid all four hubs would pull more than that. I think I might try doing one hub at a time.<br><br>Anyway, what sort of numbers should I be getting?<br><br>Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:17 AM

Re:Electric Trailer Brakes Again

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere to me. Again, check all of the connections, and consider solder.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=tishmael link=board=11;threadid=17388;start=0#162641 date=1058875012]<br>Well, I finally found the time to hook to the trailer again and check the voltage. All four hubs showed 6.4 volts. I then unplugged the trailer and checked the plug on my truck to see what the brake box was putting out there. It showed about 7.8 volts. These numbers seem low, but I have no idea what normal is, and I can lock the brakes on our two other trailers when they are empty. My brake box is a Powerstop that I ordered from Northern Tool. I know it's not in the same league as the Prodigy or Jordan, but It works great on every trailer but this one.<br><br>I was going to check the the amp draw, but my little multimeter says it is only good for 10 amps. I was afraid all four hubs would pull more than that. I think I might try doing one hub at a time.<br><br>Anyway, what sort of numbers should I be getting?<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thats not good. I don't know if you know Ohm's law but as the voltage drops the amperage rises. You are only starting with 7 volts, your problem is there. The wiring would have to be near twice as heavy to carry that load.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:02 PM

I called the trailer manufacturer today to see if they would offer suggestions on my electric brakes. He said the voltage at the hubs should be between 6 and 10, so I'm OK there. <br><br>I was putting off pulling the hubs, but he said that's what I need to do. As many of you suggested, he said the arms may be partially stuck. He said if they have been stuck for a while they may have ruined the magnets. He said to hold a thick piece of metal close to the magnets and apply the brakes. He said a good magnet will grab the metal pretty firmly.<br><br>I'll let you know how it goes. Does anyone know if the magnets are pretty universal or will I have to buy them from the axle manufacturer if I need them?<br><br>Thanks.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better check the magnets first. I get 11 to 12 volts to my magnets. Any utility trailer parts supply will have magnets if you need them. Probably an RV dealer also but at a higher price.