Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camping on the beach

Old 04-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Camping on the beach

Always want to take my 5'er out onto the beach for a weekend getaway. Mustang Island State Park in Texas to be specific. One of the reasons I wanted 4x4. My 5'er is a 26 foot. Probably weighs 8k at the most. Is there anyone here that takes theirs out onto beaches that can offer advice. I'll be taking a generator. My idea is to setup with the awning facing the surf. Obviously not close enough that everything get wet at high tide. This trip is not in our near future but something I want to do this summer. I don't want to take it all out there and just create a bad mess. I haven't had good luck driving on beaches. We don't go too often. We got the 99 stuck bad one time and banged some trucks together getting it out. The 04 never has been stuck out there but when we did go it was just for a short drive then got it back off.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
People do it all the time at places like Pismo Beach or the Oregon Dunes. The original brain child reason for toy hauler trailers.....

When driving out on the sand you obviously want to stay on solid sand and refrain from the more loose stuff otherwise the truck axles will probably hop and dig and loose traction. The truck tires should be aired down to assure the best traction but because you're towing you have to be careful about how much air pressure you have in them. Driving on sand seems like it would be like driving on a cloud but instead its surprisingly harsh since the surface is constantly altering under the tires.

If you're going out on a beach where you're alone and away from other peeps then you may want to fully scope out your options of where to enter, exit, and turn around otherwise you'll be walking or calling for help if you get stuck. I'd suggest bringing a large tow strap too just in case you need some help.

Check out Youtube and you'll find loads of videos where people do things driving on the beaches which result in getting stuck and/or needing assistance to get out of a situation.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Checking out Youtube videos on this subject has actully led me to Hill Towing and Autobody channel where a guy has a giant 4x4 wrecker that makes beach recoveries all day log. Interesting stuff
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Just a plain ole guy

We may plan a trip where we go back to the park and setup in an rv spot but take some trips onto the beach with the idea od scoping out how we can come back and do this.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Hope you find out all you need. Camping on the ocean sounds fun.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Not to be helpful or anything, but last time we camped on the beach it was too easy. Gotta love rock beaches of Maine.

I'm not brave enough to drag my 7-8 ton setup on a sand beach. Sounds fun once you get there though!