Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Brakesmart Now Available!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RCW
The Brakesmart works quite well, but the brake proportioning sensor requires a tap into the hydraulic brake system, and that is still a warranty kiss off with Dodge.
Hmmmm, they gave it a thumbs up at my dealer when I asked them about it. Sticking with my Jordan for now - - love it.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think if you showed up at the dealership with a freshly installed brakesmart and wanted them to bleed air out of the system under warranty, they might take issue.

As long as you install the sensor correctly and didn't cause any issues yourself, I don't see the dealer (at least my dealer) making an issue of it.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer has no issue either after explaining it to them. The pressure transducer displaces no fluid like the old style hydraulic units did. Since there is no fluid displaced, the BrakeSmart does not impact on the performance of the ABS system.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Casey Balvert
My dealer has no issue either after explaining it to them. The pressure transducer displaces no fluid like the old style hydraulic units did. Since there is no fluid displaced, the BrakeSmart does not impact on the performance of the ABS system.
Of course, after seeing my installation of the Jordan, they were all so impressed they wondered why I would ever even consider installing anything else.
LONG LIVE JORDAN!!!!!

PestBob
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, you just need to install vacuum over hydraulic and be done with it......

-Trey
Old 04-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by durasmack
Bob, you just need to install vacuum over hydraulic and be done with it......

-Trey
WHY???? What would it improve????
Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my Brakesmart about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I still don't have it. I've called back twice and been told "next week" twice. They are having trouble keeping up, and they have modified them since taking over production. As far as the EGT and boost readouts go, that setup will not be ready till at least late summer according to them. No firm date yet. The tech guy has one answer and the sales guy another.
My Jordan is giving me trouble and I want to get the Brakesmart in and working. It's a little frustrating, but if what they say is right everything will be fine.
I decided to give up on the Jordan because it keeps sticking on. What a pain to step on the brakes and find that they won't shut off. Jordan is willing to fix it but the down time is a drag. It has to be shipped both ways etc.
The main advantage of the Jordan, as I see it, is that it can be setup to apply the trailer brakes slightly ahead of the truck brakes. But that mechanical cable arrangement has proven to be a problem.

Wetsprit
Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
The main advantage of the Jordan, as I see it, is that it can be setup to apply the trailer brakes slightly ahead of the truck brakes. But that mechanical cable arrangement has proven to be a problem.

Wetsprit
Where is your controller mounted? Are you in a fairly straight line to the pedal?
Bob
Old 04-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But that mechanical cable arrangement has proven to be a problem.
Sort of a broad-brush statement, right? I've had no problem at all with mine. Probably a lot has to do with the installation.

Rusty
Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rusty,

It's not a broad brush statement at all. I've had trouble with it since the beginning, thus, it has proven to be a problem on my truck. Seems like whenever a question comes up about the Jordan everyone assumes it's a cable problem or an installation problem. It kind of makes my point. We can all see the cable as a potential problem area and it has to be set up carefully to operate correctly.

FiverBob,

My controller is mounted down low and inline with the pedal. But that is not the issue. When the pedal is released the cable is slack. There are no kinks and only a gradual turn toward the pedal. I even reach down and push the cable up into the unit and it stays on. Jordan has said that they had a few problems and modified the internals. I'm not bad mouthing Jordan, I just got one of the lucky ones, and it has turned out to be a little difficult to get the Brakesmart. I don't want a deceleration sensor like the Prodigy, been there.
I also got enthused about the EGT and boost readouts on the Brakesmart, and that played into the decision, but who knows when that may become available.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not a broad brush statement at all. I've had trouble with it since the beginning, thus, it has proven to be a problem on my truck. Seems like whenever a question comes up about the Jordan everyone assumes it's a cable problem or an installation problem. It kind of makes my point. We can all see the cable as a potential problem area and it has to be set up carefully to operate correctly.
I interpreted your comment as saying the control cable has been a problem with all Jordan Ultima 2020s. If your reference was only to your particular unit, then I apologize for interpreting your statement incorrectly.

Rusty
Old 04-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Wetspirit,

Jordan did get a few sliders that were not running smooth and some of them got out. Not all of them gave a problem, but a few did. He will turn you around with a new slide mechanism in one day. His service is fantastic. He changed mine out because he wanted to test one that had been in service with quite a few miles on it. Took him about 10 minutes including hooking it up and testing it. It will come back with new cable, sheath and slider. Cost - - zero. Can't beat that.

Here is my installation for comparison. I now have about 35,000 on that controller.

Bob