Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

brake controllers

Old 10-19-2002, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake controllers

My truck came with a redline controller and now the power dial has seized up and it is hardly doing anything for my heavy, four brake trailer. Anything in particular that I should look for in a new controller?
Old 10-19-2002, 10:35 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:brake controllers

Dalef,

You can't beat the Jordan. The response in the trailer is exactly what your brake pedal is doing - - no second guessing. A little more money, but well worth it. If you don't buy a Jordan, get a Prodigy.

You might also check the wiring in your trailer. With the manual override pushed on the controller, check the voltage in your brake wire at the plug, then at the trailer wheels. Obviously, if you have no voltage at the plug, you either have a bad controller, not set correctly, or possible break or corrosion in the wires on the truck. If OK there, check the trailer. Many trailers are wired in series. Get a problem in the wire and it stops right at the problem and does not activate anything beyond that. Also check where the wire goes into the back of the wheel. Lots of problems seem to show up there.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jordan is the ONLY way to go. My prodigy is laying on the bench it is useless compared to the Jordan.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:54 PM

"the jordan"??
Old 10-20-2002, 05:28 PM

[quote author=midwestdually link=board=11;threadid=6055;start=0#55164 date=1035089660]<br>&quot;the jordan&quot;??<br>[/quote]<br><br>Midwest Dually,<br><br>Is there a question lurking somewhere in the invisible ink on your post? Or a comment? Are you asking what is a Jordan? ???<br><br>Bob
Old 10-20-2002, 06:58 PM

I too swear by the Jordan. It tells you if there is a problem before you need it and it ain't there for you (ie green light means trailer is hooked up and things are good to go. 8.88 tells you that you have a short in your brakes wires)<br>I have only had ours for roughly a year now but I really enjoy pulling with it. Set it up for the trailer and go.<br>Hope this helps.<br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 10-20-2002, 07:04 PM

Prodigy vs Jordan
Some brake controller threads are almost as good as transmission threads, see:

http://irv2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?...p;m=3043067086
Old 10-20-2002, 08:14 PM

BoldtsWagon,

Welcome to the forum. Some good guys on here that have good information and willing to share.

You are right, that was a good thread until a couple of the guys started getting personal. Lots of good information and feedback. That is what this is all about. Not everyone likes the same thing. Otherwise, we would all drive Dodge, right? A couple guys on there could not believe someone might like something they knew nothing about. Some people swear by the Prodigy. I did too, until I drove a truck with a Jordan on it. Couldn't believe the difference in the feeling of control and smoothness in stopping. So, I now use Jordan.

I did have a very interesting talk with Jordan last week. He is going to have a chance to see how his new bracket works on the Dodge adjustable pedals when I take mine out there next week. HEY, did you catch that note of optimism? ;D I am assumming that stupid train is running on time and the rolling parking lot rolls in here on time with the great white ghost. 8)

Bob
Old 10-20-2002, 09:22 PM

BoldtsWagon-<br><br>Thanks for the link. Observing a food fight is a marvelous way to spend an evening. People who can dispassionately discuss features, benefits and facts in a clinical fashion seem to be rare indeed. It is NOT a one size fits all world.<br><br>Looking forward to FiverBobs assessment of the Jordan on adjustable pedals.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:41 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I just ordered the Jordan and<br>am looking forward to better braking.