Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Axle blocks for 5th wheel camper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle blocks for 5th wheel camper?

I am looking at a 2007 Victory Lane triple axle toy hauler, 39' long 12K lbs unloaded. The camper sits fairly low and I would like to lift it to accommodate my truck which isn't lifted, stock 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 4wd. I have gotten estimates to add a subframe to the trailer frame then reattach all the original suspension components with new hangers. The price for this is $2-2500 roughly. I found a company in Canada that make trailer lift block kits with new u-bolts for $215 per axle for 3" blocks. I'm not totally sure yet how much I need but if it is more than 3" then i definitely will need to go the subframe route.

Some say that the blocks are not a good idea. Some others that have done the blocks say they haven't had any issues. Has anyone here used blocks to lift your camper and have you had any issues? I'm no engineer, but I see so many 6-8" lifted trucks hauling big a** toy haulers that I would guess have a minimum of 4-6" blocks on the truck rear axle, it just seams that it would be ok, IDK.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Have you looked at it. My fifth wheel camper of about the same vintage has several inches of adjustment by moving the pins. It'd be a good time to throw in new bushings anyway.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had one I had to raise. I saw they made spring seats that attached with U bolts but I wasn't sure about them.

I ended up purchasing new spring seats to relocate the axles from above to below the springs.

Worked fine.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axles are under springs already from factory.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Try to avoid the blocks. In heavy braking situations, the axles can roll. Especially on the bigger blocks. Unfortunately, a sub frame is the best way to go. I lifted mine myself but I have alot of welding experience. How much lift do you need? It can be tricky to calculate. I lifted mine 4 inches. A little bit goes a long long way. other options would be to lower the hitch and pin box settings, but you have to look closely at bed clearance. You can also add taller tires if you have the space between the axles so the taller tires don't' touch.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I had a similar experience. My 5th wheel sits very low and the axles are already under the springs too so flipping them wasn't an option. I even checked to see if the spring packs were sagging but I came to the conclusion that they'd have to sag a lot to justify the expense of 6 new packs which may or may not lift the overall height. I also looked into how much it would cost to raise the trailers suspension but the chances of weakening everything under there during braking and turning didn't sound smart, and it was costly too.

I eventually decided to leave all well alone and tow it as it sits. All the better too because the height differences is not enough to fret over and the trailer is more stable as it sits lower. Raising the center of gravity on a 38' 14k trailer didnt sound like the right move.....