Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Aerodynamics and other factors for mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
From my poor empirical data with enclosed trailers I believe V-nose trailers possible more aerodynamic than ones with nose cones. Had a Wells Cargo 6x7x16 enclosed tag trailer with cap that was replaced by a larger Millennium 8x8x24 V-nose tag and pretty much get the same highway mileage. My last trip to North Texas and back in December I averaged 13.7mpg with the V-nose. Previous towing experiences was anywhere from 10 to 14mpg with the trailer.

So I bet a cap is better than no cap.
I've been considering going to a larger enclosed trailer, when the time comes I'll be looking hard at a v-nose. They seem like they'd be the ticket for sure.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son drives big rigs. He just got a brand new Peterbuilt. He pulled a new full aero 53 ft trailer. It had the side skirts, rear brake scoop and the rear aero doors. He averaged 7.7 and is governed electronically to 62 mph. The return trip he pulled an older 53,ft with no helpers and averaged just 7 mpg. .7 is huge on a big truck. Both loads were maximum weight. Obviously they have the full tractor aero which has been around for years.

My race car trailer is a 34' GN at 9800 pounds is only 8' wide and not more than 8' off the ground. I get 13-15 average but I have gotten over 16 a couple trips. The top 12" of the trailer catch all the bugs so a rounded front would probably be some improvement.

We do a lot of repair work on the V nose snowmobile trailers up here. Most guys say they wander all over in the wind. Whether they get better mpg or not is not clear. Most of these guys go as fast as they can even in snow storms. (That's why we do so much repair work on them). They complain about poor mpg.....I don't feel sorry for them...no amount of slow down talk does any good. I've only pulled a few big ones to deliver them so I can't say anything about mpg. The diesel hardly knows they are there.

Tuners; I have a Smarty on my truck. It has a number of ranges to set it at. Some deal with timing only some with fuel only and some with both. It also has stock and a half power program to pass emissions. A neat feature is the idle up in the winter. Dodge used to charge to reflash this feature. Works great when it is very cold.