Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2wd vs 4wd ? ( searched counldn't find )

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM
jta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to have 4wd for the insurance. It's nice to have it and not need it. I had to pull 2wd trucks with trailers out a lot when I worked at the race track. They showed up and parked it rained then they could not get out. A few years ago I waited for a bulldozer to come get a F350 2wd with a 5 wheel that could not make it up a clay road that was a little wet. Both of these things were not a problem for 4wd trucks. Plus they look cool.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM

I don't know why everyone says these things are terrible in snow. Never once had any issues with 2wd in snow. Only 4x4 I've owned is my bush truck, and that thing was worse in the snow on the roads. Knowing the limits and driving smart will be a huge asset. And like what was said, 4wd will put you in the ditch a lot faster than a 2wd on ice. Your front tires steer a lot better when they aren't spinning like the rears.

For what the original poster is looking to do, a 2wd makes sense. If he is in the rougher terrain, put some a/t tires on the rear. Tires will make a bigger difference than 4x4.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM
jka

For what your doing I would say go 2wd. I love mine....Very easy to drive on the highway, (towing or empty) feels solid, no wandering. I think the rack and pinion steering has alot to do with it.

You'll have less maintance and fewer drivetrain problems.

Unless your offroading or live in an area with alot of snow my vote is 2wd.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM

I have had my 97 2wd in places that some 4x4s wouldnt go and I have it stuck bad enough that it took a skidder to get me out. That being said I started converting mine to 4wd tonight. All was good until I went to put the dually adapters on the front, wont fit. Gotta change hub assemblies.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM

An interesting reasn for 4WD

I live in the northwest and one of the reasons I have the Dodge is to pull and launch our boat. Boat ramps tend to be steep and slippery around here. With my 27' pontoon boat when I back down my favorite boat ramp when i shut the truck off and set the parking brake in 2wd the truck will slowly slide back wards into the lake since the parking brake only works on the rear wheels. Just slip it into 4wd then all of the wheels help hold the truck and it is no problem.

Not to mention there is no way I could get the boat back up the ramp without 4wd.

Here in my part of the northwest nothing is flat, combine wet grass, the heavy front end with a few degrees of slope and you are likely to be stuck 10 feet from the gravel or pavement.

I wish that a 2wd would work for me because of all of the reasons presented by others in this thread. I have considered lowering my 4wd 2 or 3 inches for mpg and improved handling. I really wish Dodge had gone to the trouble to put lock out hubs on these trucks. No hubs, the very expensive unit front wheel bearings yuk.....

But I love my truck and for my use the 4wd is a very worthwhile feature. I completely admit that in some ways 4wd is for poor planners and lazy folks, we do pay a price for this convince.

jimb
Old 10-14-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Boat ramps without 2wd can be very scary. Having spun the wheels of our old van far too many times on even shallow ramps, I can say that THIS is as good a reason for 4wd as exists.

Oddly enough, sometimes a 2wd dually seems WORSE on a ramp than a srw truck. I suspect it has something to do with contact pressure.

jh
Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Boat ramps without 2wd can be very scary. Having spun the wheels of our old van far too many times on even shallow ramps, I can say that THIS is as good a reason for 4wd as exists.

Oddly enough, sometimes a 2wd dually seems WORSE on a ramp than a srw truck. I suspect it has something to do with contact pressure.

jh
yeah if your tires are spinning in even shallow ramps imma say. 100% your tires. Tires make about 100% of your car move. So research what tires would be best for your car.