Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2nd gen brake controller plug ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd gen brake controller plug ??

My maxbrake controller arrived today in the mail from LA . I was told at the dealer that my truck came with a tow package and should have the plug to plug in the brake controller .Could some one tell me where to look for the tow bake controller plug ? I hope that I can find the plug and not have to cut and splice wires.If I can find where to look for the plug on a 1995 Ram ,that would save me a lot of work.I hope to install it so I can move my trailer home with out the brakes pulling. Thanks Don T
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM

with my truck in sig it is up under the dash on the left (driver) side. look behind your e-brake pedal towards the firewall . . .
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Neither my 96 nor my 98 have that trailer plug, and my 96 is what Dodage called a camper special with the rear sway bar and spring overloads from factory. I have had to wire them both myself for the brake controllers.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
with my truck in sig it is up under the dash on the left (driver) side. look behind your e-brake pedal towards the firewall . . .
Same on my 99. If I remember right the plug was blue
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You will need an adapter to fit the Dodge plug on one end and your brake controller on the other. Usually available where you got your controller.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
While the plug is taped up and difficult to find it should be there. I'm pretty sure the harness is the same, trailer tow or no trailer tow. The part that is different is from the connector by the drivers front fender on the frame to the rear trailer plug. That's the piece they install or don't install.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Just a plain ole guy

It's not near the frame. It's under the dash bunched up by the parking brake mechanism.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
It's not near the frame. It's under the dash bunched up by the parking brake mechanism.
I'm sure most know it's under the dash "taped up and difficult to find". I meant I think all the harnesses include this plug, trailer tow or no trailer tow. What is different is from the connector by the drivers front fender at the frame, to the trailer tow plug. It's that piece of the harness they include or don't include.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Wonder why Don T has not advised of progress... just lettin you all go on and on I guess!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Just a plain ole guy

"What is different is from the connector by the drivers front fender at the frame, to the trailer tow plug. It's that piece of the harness they include or don't include"

I don't know what your talking about. there is no trailer connector there.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM

I ordered the Maxbreake and thought I could just plug it in. I went to the Chrysler dealer and he ran the build number on my truck to see if the truck was built with a trailer tow package. all was good I thought to find a plug. well there was no plug to connect the brake control unit. There was a plug there but it was not like the controller plug.so I had to cut the plug off and solder and shrink wrap .I took my 14' trailer out for a little run and I know i`am going like this controller .I had better break with the trailer in tow than I ever had before. The other controller was hard to get set correctly and was either to weak or to strong at breaking.When my wife said when I stopped in traffic the second time that ( ok I see why you bought it,the truck stopped real smooth) . I can now take my fiver for new Michelin e rate ltx and have them road force balanced. I have to say that the Maxbrake controller is the smoothest break controller I have ever used . Cost a few $$ but worth it I think. Thanks for all the help. Later Don T
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Just a plain ole guy

That was the plug you needed that you cut off. You shouldn't have done that. You should have ordered the correct adapter with your controller. Every controller plug is differnt, but every Chrysler plug is the same, just like every Ford plug is the same. You get the correct pigtail for your truck, plug it in and it's done.

Looks like you shoulda ordered it directly from them. The correct pigtail is free at the top of their page. Just tell them what truck you got.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/maxbrake.htm
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM

1-2-3

I have the plug that came with the controller , I was needing the trailer and so just cut the plug and followed the directions and soldered the wires to get me going . I worked slick hauling my 14' trailer. I have an appointment to have my 3000 rpm governor spring installed with the PO that I bought my truck from.He said this morning that he did not have the adapter plug for the brake controller he installed the first controller and he jumper wired it in. So he will have a look at it when I take my truck there for the 3000 rpm spring kit and put it back correctly. I will have to haul my trailer this week with 4 tons of old steel on to the recyclers this week.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Just a plain ole guy

I've installed them both ways, and using a pigtail adapter is so much easier and cleaner. Plus when you get that new 6.7, just unplug it all and move it over.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
But now it's a little harder to steal.

I did the same thing. Takes all of 10 minutes to solder them in, vs hunting down the "right" adapter or waiting for the mailman to bring it.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen brake controller plug ??