Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2nd gen brake control wire help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen brake control wire help

OK, I have searched all over on here, and I cannot, for the life of me know where the heck the plug or the wires, for the brake controler are at in my 97, I looked everywhere everyone has said in previous posts, but cannot find it, Yes, my truck has the towing package, with the seven pin plug and the factory hitch, and the overloads and swaybar, all that jazz, anyone with any PICTURES of underneath where their connector is?I got my brake controller, mounted under the dash ready to go, but need to know where to go with it. I just cannot figure out where its at. thanks,shawn
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not 100% certain but I think 97 and down trucks with the tow package only came equipped with a single light blue wire that is marked with a white tag that simply says "trailer brakes". This wire is wrapped to the main chassis/body harness with electrical tape and is near the left corner of the fire wall and floor under the drivers side dash. DC had a TSB out for these trucks that informed the techs where the wire was located. It was left up to the installer to provide the rest of the wiring.

I think only 98 and later trucks with the tow package were equipped with the complete 4 wire harness that included + power, - power, brake switch trigger and the trailer brake wire.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I am not 100% certain but I think 97 and down trucks with the tow package only came equipped with a single light blue wire that is marked with a white tag that simply says "trailer brakes". This wire is wrapped to the main chassis/body harness with electrical tape and is near the left corner of the fire wall and floor under the drivers side dash. DC had a TSB out for these trucks that informed the techs where the wire was located. It was left up to the installer to provide the rest of the wiring.

I think only 98 and later trucks with the tow package were equipped with the complete 4 wire harness that included + power, - power, brake switch trigger and the trailer brake wire.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.
well, yes the blue wire for my truck, a 96 is used for trailer brakes, but it also serves as the auxillary function on my plug, since some trailers i tow do not have brakes My personal ones do tho, and it serves for that purpose. I dont like the four way wiring myself, i have the six way plugs for my gooseneck tows and bumper tows. I do however have the adapter for six to four way plugs.

If im not mistaken on the trailer wiring, on a six way plug, its the blue wire for brake controller, or trailer brakes, can serve as an auxillary as well
black is the positive
white is the ground
green right turn
brown is running lights
yellow is left turn

if you are connecting a brake control, its four wires if im not mistaken, a red, a white a black and a green with a red stripe

red is the wire that goes to the switch on brake to turn on the lights when u depress the brake (i think)
black is positive
white is ground, and the green with red stripe, if the truck comes with a towing package or a pigtail, its what u connect the brake controller to. supposed to serve a similar function to the red wire.

I know the wiring of the plug, but the brake control i dont recall hope this somewhat helps..

Rick
Old 12-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the plug last night!, its up there, just had to stick my fat head up in there a little more., I got my pigtail, now I just need to wire it up to my controller. anyone running a Kelsey- hayes energizer??