Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2017 log book rule

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 log book rule

Being in the hotshot and towaway industry is hard enough with all the current regs, fuel prices, and competition, but with this new rule going into effect Dec. 2017 with the mandatory E-logs, I ask whats everybody else going to do? I for 1, will not be putting E-logs in my truck. If it comes down to it, I'll either go find another 12 valve or cut back my operating radius to where logs aren't required. Also. what do you guys think this with do to the industry?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with E-Logs?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HL649
What's wrong with E-Logs?
Just a reminder, this is my opinion. I don't have a problem with people who what to run them, thats their choice. My problem is the fact that the gov. sticks their nose into places it doesn't really belong. There is no proof that e-logs make the roads safer, none. Then you have the additional cost assosiated with e-logs and you can only run what they approve. They are tied in with your ecm, which will record everything you do with your truck not to mention the GPS and they can track your every movement which I know some won't have a problem with but I duel purpose my truck(personal and commercial use). They cant just be unplugged like the older units. Also, what happens when you are 30 miles from the house and run out of hours? Do you stop and take your break, run it and hope they aren't paying attention.... Paper logs can be fudged for instances like that. You can't get creative with your logs because you just sat in a shippers lot for the last 7 hours waiting to get loaded(thats all on-duty time).
I have been in this industry for a good number of years and am 1 of the few who are still in it because it is what I love to do(to many steeringwheel holders and seat warmers out there doing it just for the paycheck). I have run on the time clock, run the form 60, run the log book, and run under the AG banner. The only thing I have ever run where the NEED for GPS, Qual-com, or any other E-anything was when I hauled explosives, even after 9-11 we would travel alone with no way to contact anyone unless you had your own phone.
I guess my biggest grippe is the loss of freedom of choice to run what you want, how you want.

I talked to a fellow hotshot O/O yesterday and asked him the same question. His response, "I'll sell this truck and go back to an old 12-valve or just get out of trucking all together." I wonder how many others think along those lines??

Rant over.....
Old 10-31-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Remember to vote at the local level....

TOO MUCH GOV!
The following users liked this post:
saggonwaggon91 (11-01-2016)