Site News News and updates about the site.

Diamond Back Covers Product Evaluation

Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did some research on them. They are a 3 piece design. The center piece is about 18" wide and the front and the rear lift up. That is pretty cool. You can get them powdercoated black for an extra 200.00.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 AM

Anymore news on the diamondback review? I am anxious to hear more.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM

I have had one for about two years and it is great. I have a bedrug underneath and it is nice to have things secured underneath. I have loaded a lot of different sized itens on top and really like the tiedown hooks around it. So quick to load and leave. I also like the way you can open it from either end.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 AM

How much do they weigh and how hard are they to take on and off? Cost? Web link?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 PM

They look like they are a great add on to my Dodge I wonder how much they cost? I wonder if its super steep with the ramps loading them on? I think I need a follow up Lary Is it worth the money? My grizzly does not fit in my bed with the tailgate down I get paranoid on long trips of it falling out
Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM

No reviews? Guess there questionable. I'll invest in a trailer
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 AM

stickbow,
why do you say that they are questionable. as i said earlier, my friend has one and it works incredible. he can fit two atv's up there no problem. he doesn't have to worry about them flying around or anything like that. plus it is a really cool cover to have. I would def look into it. there are testimonials on their website

www.diamondbackcovers.com
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 AM

The ramps you would use are long enough so it is not really steep.
The covers themselves can be removed in short order with no help and a 1/2 socket & ratchet.

I paid about $1250.00 for mine.....easy install. Even a Caveman can do it!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sled4fun
The ramps you would use are long enough so it is not really steep.
The covers themselves can be removed in short order with no help and a 1/2 socket & ratchet.

I paid about $1250.00 for mine.....easy install. Even a Caveman can do it!
Thanks guys for the response, 1250.00 isnt to bad. I priced a trailer at farm family and it was close to that. I guess with the diamondback you get a trailer and tonneau cover at the same time . I load my atv on the back of my truck with the ramps now, im always nervous about them sliding off . Not only that my grizzly will not fit in there with the tailgate up. I strap the heck out of it and it always loosens up? I am nervous that it would fall out or go through my back window I think I wll check out diamond covers thanks again
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Stickbow,
I think it is a wise purchase. Like I said my friend has one and it works really well. Like you said, when you buy it, you get a trailer and a tonneau cover all put in one. I would def. advise getting one. They are super practical
Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM

I am waiting for Lary's complete evaluation on these, they seem very practical, killing two birds with one stone for me... I am just nervous about driving with all that weight on top of the bed, obviously i wouldn't be doing any high speed manuevering, like that is possible in these trucks anyway, but how is driving effected by all that weight so high off the ground... Body roll? secure the load of course, but do you see any concerns with the load shifting and causing serious problems? I am assuming you would really want to ratchet strap the 4 wheelers down compressing the suspension so they dont shift too much? Let us know all the details Lary...
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Obviously by placing the load on top of the cover you are changing the center of gravity, but I have yet to see any real issue from it, and as with any load, you have to secure it properly. My truck is a long bed 4x4 and it handles the situation pretty well from what I have seen.

Admittedly I have NOT been in a panic stop situation yet but I do notice that I drive fully aware of the weight situation and act accordingly. No different really than when I am pulling a trailer, I allow more distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I also don't corner real fast, I can feel a little more body roll but not enough to overly concern me.

I am putting together the last of the stuff on this article now. I downloaded a bunch of pictures yesterday but I am redoing a few this evening because they just didn't display correctly what I was trying to show.

This cover is an EXCEPTIONAL product. Great quality and looks GREAT too!. I really like the ability to keep all the rest of the gear under cover and locked while the ATV's are loaded on the truck.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Obviously by placing the load on top of the cover you are changing the center of gravity, but I have yet to see any real issue from it, And as with any load, you have to secure it properly. My truck is a long bed 4x4 and it handles the situation pretty well from what I have seen.

Admittedly I have NOT been in a panic stop situation yet but I do notice that I drive fully aware of the weight situation and act accordingly. No different really than when I am pulling a trailer, I allow more distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I also don't corner real fast, I can feel a little more body roll but not enough to overly concern me.

I am putting together the last of the stuff on this article now. I downloaded a bunch of pictures yesterday but I am redoing a few this evening because they just didn't display correctly what I was trying to show.

This cover is an EXCEPTIONAL product. Great quality and looks GREAT too!. I really like the ability to keep all the rest of the gear under cover and locked while the ATV's are loaded on the truck.

Thanks Lary - I agree it looks great, though I would probably get mine powder coated... I would probably use it for two 450 utility 4 wheelers, they are about 600lbs each... so there would be quite a bit of weight up there.. looking forward to the review...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM

I also have a diamondback cover. I have had it for almost a year. I love the look and quality of the cover. Depending on where you live you need to be aware of a few things I have realized. I went with the Black powdercoat. It looks awesome and has stood up very well. It gets VERY HOT when left in the sun. Being from the North East if I am saying it is hot in the summer I am sure someone from Texas could cook their lunch on it. The other item is over the winter the lock froze up from water getting into the lock assembly. I sort of expected this to happen. I keep a liquid lock de-icer in the glove box to help if I did run into this problem. One other item I added to my truck was an electric lock for the tailgate. That way when I lock the covers and the gate is locked there is no one getting into the bed unless they cut some metal. The only other modification I made was to where the rods slide under the bed rails. The rods slide under the bed rails to secure the covers. the rods are coted with a plastic to try and help them slide across the rails. There is a small piece of gasket that you apply over the sharp edge of the bedrail for the rod to rub against. This left a very sharp edge of the bed rail cutting into the plastic coated rod. After some time the rod will have a groove that makes it very hard to open/close the cover. I added a 1.5"x1.5" block of nylon behind the bed rail to make a large surface for the rod to slide on. It made a big difference in the ease of opening/closing the cover. I spoke to tech support about this problem to try and have them make a change in the future. I also talked with tech support one other time as my cover leaked in rain near the tailgate. The factory applied gasket was glued on to far from the edge and did not meet the tailgate in the best sp[ot to seal it up. They were very nice and apoligized for the problem and promptly sent me enough gasket material to replace that entire section. Problem solved. To date I would recomend this cover very highly. I will try and post some close up photos of the block I added to the bed rail. It was very easy and I used a mounting location I needed for my diamond plate rail caps.

I will find the site address and contact info of the site I purchased my cover from. They were great to deal with and helped with my tech support calls.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 PM

I have a DiamondBack ATV package too. Been using it for almost a year. ATV Package is around $2k depending on SWB or LWB and what options you decide on.

My truck is lifted 2" and is rolling on 37" tall 22.5's. The ramps are plenty long [12ft] enough for that height.

It is a little dicey when loading my Honda 450R with paddles. These machines are extremely tall geared making loading in any truck a little more difficult than a low geared utility machine.

I like it because I can load my generator, air compressor, tools, and spare tires and lock it all up. I sometimes load it all up the week before I go on vacation and wait till I get caught back up to unload.....no worries, it's locked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diamond Back Covers Product Evaluation