1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fixed Bad Stock Steering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed Bad Stock Steering...

Well to add to all the parts I have fixed here is some more

My steering was very very sloopy so the first thing I fixed was the power steering pump since that was worn out... and then I found the stock "u-joint" thing that connects to the steering box was very bad also..

well this past weekend I took it apart and what would ya know when I unbolted it .. the entire inside fell apart.. glad I Stopped driving it until I could fix it..

Well tonight I finally fixed it..

took a little custom work but all in all I am no longer worried about driving off the road
Old 02-22-2006, 10:20 PM

here are some pics..

first is off new power steering pump

and here is new steering when finished but before paint
Old 02-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I did something similar with an old gasser I had. The only thing that worries me is that the old factory setup incorporated a slip yoke in it so that when off road when the body starts to flex the shaft can change length to compensate. The body flexs more than you think.

Why the bolt on the top half of the shaft. I'd be worried about it sheering off and losing control.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Well what I found out when working on this.. is that the factory top part of rag joint does have slip in it so not worried about that.. plus this will never see off road-- this is my tow rig to get my real off road rig to the trails

ALso the bolt in the top half is because this u-joint has a key hol ethat needs one of these to hold it in place which i have ordered but has not come in yet

I have decided that I will also change out that bolt to a Grade 5 bolt just for same measure plus use the key .. but I am really not worried about it failing....

I have built and used this type set up on a few rigs I have worked on...

oh and the best part is the total cost is about $30.00
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 PM

Well here is a pic of it painted

Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 AM

more details!

Source and price of joint?
My steering box is shot and will be going for a rebuild soon, might do a mod similar to this while I am at it.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Place cardboard behind it next time. Now you need to finish off painting the fenderwell and possible frame.

Good job though. My stock when stunk big time. Finally went to Borgeson and that was wonderful. But after many miles, they too start having problems and needed to fix things just like you. BIGGER BOLT to hold it onto the shaft.

Works everytime.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 AM

any updates?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 AM

Well I can not find the exact link to where I got u-joint a few years back.. but I bought the u-joint for a 1967 Bronco that I was converting to power steering with Hydro assit.

It has been on my shelf for 4 years now. so I can not remember where I got it.. bt I know placves like Flaming river and Borgeson all can get you the u-joints..

just take off your existing shaft and count he number of splines on shaft and call them and then can get ya the correct u-joints..

But see I 99.9% of the time try to make, build, invent things to save me a buck so I usually never buy aftermarket parts I build them for myself..

So far I have towed with this truck, drove it all over and even in some dirt and have had Zero problems with this fix..
Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 AM

Howdy,

Caravans have a nifty little u-joint like that in the steering shaft...

Vinny
Old 06-22-2006, 10:40 PM

i like this mod. As for the slip joint, two of three dodge rams i owned when I got the shafts out the slip joints were rusted solid. We even tried heating then bashing one with a sludge hammer and bent the shaft before it slipped like it was supposed to. I really woudnt be too concerned with not having a slip joint.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 PM

I was always told that the slip joint in the shaft was for saftey. If you are involved in a frontal colision and the frame, body and what not are crushed it alows the stearing shaft to do the same so you dont end up with a stearing shaft in your chest
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by skchevota
I was always told that the slip joint in the shaft was for saftey. If you are involved in a frontal colision and the frame, body and what not are crushed it alows the stearing shaft to do the same so you dont end up with a stearing shaft in your chest

It's funny you mentioned that, the last few days I had the stock slip joint on my truck, I had so many close calls. I'd turn the wheel and the truck would turn at first and then all of a sudden the truck would go straight! . I'm much happier with my borgerson shaft and new powersteering pump now
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 AM

On my 93, the slip section appears to be above where the lower shaft joins the upper. It even has a coil spring around it to keep the upper section fully extended.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM

i got my u-joint off of a peterbilt semi, i found in the local junk yard....had a greasable spicer u-joint that is huge compaired to most steering u-joints and a greasable slip yoke....worked out great and its very beefie!

Quick Reply: Fixed Bad Stock Steering...