Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Yikes!!! MAD "Catcher" ECM in..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much? It won't let me into the website. Also...what's a core worth?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:20 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
http://www.smokindiesel.com/dodge/24_valve/mad_ecm.htm

will take you there

AlpineRAM

ps inserting a "." after an URL will make the webservers veeery defensive
Old 10-16-2004, 02:13 PM

I installed a CaTCHer a few days ago. Very impressive. 24Vs can definitely spool turbos!
It's not really meant to be a major fueling box like TST or EDGE Comp (though it's not too far off!), but a replacement ECM to improve driveability, which it is doing VERY well. IMHO, from 1/2 throttle on up, it's not as strong as a fueling box and I didn't expect it to be. It's still a LOT stronger than the stock ECM and the Comp on any EZ setting in the upper fuel range.
Stepping on the pedal to about 1/2 throttle and receiving gut wrenching low end torque is quite surprising..... and fun. There's nothing to compare with CaTCHer on the low end....it shines that bright!

Bob Wagner for superb customer service
Marco for waking up my CTD
Old 10-16-2004, 03:12 PM

Got it. Thanks Alpine...I'll keep an eye out for those "."'s

Not much information though. No performance claims or eluding to the science that creates the perfromance.

Safety? mpg? does it require/include a boost elbow? Is it it's own boost fooler? EGT effects? What would a dealer see if the truck went them (warranty etc.)

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:25 PM

No boost fooler required.
EGTs rise faster but go no higher than the Comp on EZ.
Boost rises much faster and starts much lower!
Safety? It's Dodges program but from what I understand, the fuel table is modified.
Most the posts I've read say no change in mileage. We'll see on mine after the new RFF wears off! Driving around town is much easier, so I do expect the in town mileage to increase.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:53 PM

So is the boost still limited to 20 psi?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you stack? I just installed an Edge Comp...very happy with it but as we all know it's never enough!!

Doug
Old 10-17-2004, 11:34 AM

Boost is not limited to 20psi. What ever the turbo can/will make is fine without any clipping circuits.

Mine is stacked with the Drag Comp. 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3 are great for varying degrees of smoke control around town, but when the 1xX allows fuel to hit, better not have your foot on the pedal very hard. I don't have enough air at the top end to see how well they work together. Some with HOs are saying there's a conflict of timing. I really don't know yet, since I seldom race or hit 3200rpm. So far, with mostly town driving and only 1 trip with 1080lbs on a 7% grade, I haven't needed the box on. It's been on to play, but driving is great with the CaTCHer only.

After this week, I'll have 1,000 miles with it, of combined city and highway driving. After that I should be of more help.........
Old 10-17-2004, 10:15 PM

So what is allowing the higher boost? The wastegate should be set at 20 psi factory and the factory ECM lights up a code if overboost is seen.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rattletrap1
So what is allowing the higher boost? The wastegate should be set at 20 psi factory and the factory ECM lights up a code if overboost is seen.
It's not the "factory" ECM anymore, so the parameter for the overboost is no longer present.

Those who posted also have fueling boxes,
so they most likely have a boost elbow or other method of raising boost.

phox
Old 10-17-2004, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
since the ecm is "clipping" the boost signal. 20 psi+ is never being detected hence no code. The turbo should already have a modifed elbow.

hope this helps
Old 10-18-2004, 01:42 AM

Thanks. Who has the most info on this catcher? I'd still like to know what's happening inside (just what the motor sees...not the electronics and algorithms to make it happen). What will Dodge see upon inspection? What's a core worth in case I wanted to keep mine? If swapped back...what would Dodge see? What gains on an ETH vs. EZ/comp in EZ mode (I have injectors equivalent to DD2's)?

I know I can get an elbow alone most anywheres.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:08 AM

Ok, just completed a round trip to Madera, Ca from Eagle, Id for a motorcycle race..I'm pulling a 14ft twin axle box trailer, you know, those white cubes you see all over the road..Loaded wt, about 3500lbs..

On the way there, I ran the TST box on at level 3. I got 17 mpg. On the way back, I ran the TST box off, and got 19 with just the catcher ECM..The catcher provides plenty of power, but the TST did add some "funability" to the drive, espically above 40 mph. The catcher is really most noticible on the bottom end of the power range, right off idle. There literally is no more lag with this thing.

It snowed for about 75 miles thru S/E Oregon on the way home, (u.s. 95) and the catcher ECM would allow it to chug along at 30-35 mph in four-wheel-drive without that annoying lag the 24v had before. It would maintain 12-15 psi and had plenty of throttle response if needed, without kicking it down into a passing gear.

So, mileage is a little better, but the fun factor eliminates any potential gain. Buuuuut, if you're one of those "disciplined" individuals, you should see a little improvment.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:10 AM

Its not a questiong of if I am getting one of these but when. Can anyone tell me where to obtain one? Also are there boxes already programed you can just swap yours for? My truck goes away soon and this will be a winter mod for it. One question though is the top end fueling the same with the box on as it would be now or does the MAD ECM fuel harder all the way to redline? I ask this because I don't want to change anything else in my setup with my edge on 5 and my b1ks turbo I am right where I want to be for EGT and don't want anymore at WOT.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Chapter President

See AlpineRam's post on where to buy.

Quick Reply: Yikes!!! MAD "Catcher" ECM in..