Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   What do i have here? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/what-do-i-have-here-281468/)

jtandgwen 12-01-2010 07:45 PM

What do i have here?

3 Attachment(s)
Hope this is the correct location for this test.

Was under my truck looking for a noise that is about to drive me crazy (certified that is) looked up and seen this, not for sure what it is but i know you guys have seen it a thousand times. It is attached to the rear axel left side and goes up to the bed

Need your help. Just what do i have on my truck? It came from the factory with tow package (not for sure just what all that includes).

Had something like this on my motor home that had air-ride system.

Thanks for looking. The correct answer gets a free cup of coffee (at my place) cream and sugar extra.

Thanks for looking and thanks for your inputs.

JT Who

Tacomaman87 12-01-2010 08:01 PM

Thats a load sensing porportioning valve for the brake system. Its is part of the factory tow package. As you add weight to the bed it changes the distance from the rear axle to the bed moving the lever on the valve applying more braking force to the rear wheels.

Shovelhead 12-01-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tacomaman87 (Post 2884225)
Thats a load sensing porportioning valve for the brake system. Its is part of the factory tow package. As you add weight to the bed it changes the distance from the rear axle to the bed moving the lever on the valve applying more braking force to the rear wheels.

Give that man a cieeegar........ [guitar]

KATOOM 12-01-2010 11:22 PM

I knew what it was too, so can I have the cup of coffee since Tacomaman87 is getting a cigar?[coffee]

TurboDeezul 12-02-2010 06:28 AM

So does air bags defeat that bad boy or what???

G1625S 12-02-2010 06:49 AM

Yeah, if the bags are aired up enough to not let the springs sag. Being that Dodge is somewhat notorious for lackluster breaks, many guys have removed the proportioning valve in favor of full flow all the time. I personally have had excellent luck with the brakes on my 96, though I'm not sure why[laugh] All I've done is add the GM rear wheel cylinders.

high bid 12-02-2010 07:44 AM

The bottom section of this connects to the axle w/a snap in ball that clips into a round housing....mine usually disconnects itself and flops around...lol.

infidel 12-02-2010 09:58 AM

I personally have had excellent luck with the brakes on my 96, though I'm not sure why
I don't think the proportioning valve came until '97 with the hydro-boost brakes.

gorms 12-02-2010 04:28 PM

I have a 98 with tow/camper package, no signs of it ever being there from what I can tell. Bought it with just under 100k.

jtandgwen 12-02-2010 05:33 PM

As you can see/tell i am new to this. My first diesel truck and my first dodge.

I have found out real quick that you gentlemen have all the answers.

I greatly appreciate all of the information. Now to pay for the information.

The coffee pot is on.

Again THANK YOU.

JT who

bcbigfoot 12-02-2010 10:06 PM

Hmmm my 02 3500 doesn't have it, don't see any sign of it ever having one.

infidel 12-03-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bcbigfoot (Post 2884869)
Hmmm my 02 3500 doesn't have it, don't see any sign of it ever having one.

Besides the valve not appearing until hydroboost brakes I think it also went away with the addition of rear wheel discs.

ldornak 12-03-2010 12:18 PM

Besides the valve not appearing until hydroboost brakes I think it also went away with the addition of rear wheel discs.
That makes sense. My 01.5 has rear disk brakes, but does not have the load proportioning valve. Another member on this site (mr. bill) has an 01 with rear drums and IIRC he has the valve.

esde 12-03-2010 01:07 PM

My 98 12 valve 2500 has this, and a factory hitch, but no rear sway bar. Does this mean I have some strange variant of the tow package? I thought the tow package included the sway bar? Thinking of losing the load sensing valve anyway, as the linkage pivots are worn and rattle alot, dealer said they're not available separately. I feel that in stock form, my year 2500 needs all the brake it can get.

KATOOM 12-03-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by esde (Post 2885096)
My 98 12 valve 2500 has this, and a factory hitch, but no rear sway bar. Does this mean I have some strange variant of the tow package? I thought the tow package included the sway bar? Thinking of losing the load sensing valve anyway, as the linkage pivots are worn and rattle alot, dealer said they're not available separately. I feel that in stock form, my year 2500 needs all the brake it can get.

I understand that the "camper package" for the 2500's includes the overload springs and the sway bar. I have the proportioning valve but no over loads and no sway bar but I do have a factory hitch. I dont think there was a "tow package".

And also, my brakes (rear drum) work fantastic. I've thought about the GM cylinder upgrade but not sure if I want to chance messing up a good thing. I think rear drum adjustments are an important factor which gets over looked since the adjusters can stop working from crud or salty roads. So most guys just assume that rear drums are weak.