Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twins for a sick towing setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twins for a sick towing setup

Well I'm just starting to think about twins for my truck. It is used primarly as a tow rig. The way it is right now I am running Mach 1.75's and a drag comp on a stock turbo. I am thinking of looking closer at the BD twins as they are a complete kit and I hear they are designed well and good for towing. I would like to run at least a Mach 4 with the comp turned on 1x1 and stay cool. Would this kit be able to do that? Also, what is the spoolup like with this kit and others? And would I be able to run a small set of twins like this temporarly with the small injectors until I could get bigger ones or will it not spool them? My plan is to make a bad tow rig that is still a blast to drive when unloaded. Thanks for any input!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Contact rharveysr about towing twins. He's got a set-up that he's real happy with.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Banned

Rjohnson just got a set of the BD twins and he's very impressed with them. He's running mach 4's with a tst and with the tst set on 4 he's only hitting 1300* at triple digit speeds. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 AM

You can run it the comp on 5x5 with M-4's and the BD twins will still keep it cool. Least wise they do on my truck. I'm not running M-4's, but a BD 155hp injector so should be relatively similar. I'll probably get some M-5's and I'm not worried that the BD twins will keep it cool. BTW, I tow a 15k gooseneck.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just go

the old 35/3B combo? that has been a proven combo time and again..

Rick
Old 05-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

i'm in the same boat as you Caleb C. I'm running 4's right now and just stacked the comp (ez) with the Superchips. The bottom end and spool up are great but can't keep it cool or smoke free. The 4's have to come out for the summer due to the amount of smoke even without the SC. I want to go back to the 1.6's for the smoke control and the fact that i lost about 70 miles a tank between fill up's. The phat shaft spools good but doesn't keep things cool enough for me. I was planning on going with one of Don's cams, a ring job, and BD twins.

Keep us posted if you do go to the twins.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Why not just go

the old 35/3B combo? that has been a proven combo time and again..

Rick
You know I thought of that, but I really have no idea where to start. I have never built a set and really cant afford the downtime that would be involved with piecing it together. I was thinking if I could get a set of BD twins I could have them on in a day or two and be on my way. Any other suggestions? If I did try to use my 35 where could I get the HT3B and what housing would I need for it? And can you get the piping pre-made or do you have to fab it up?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by caleb c.
You know I thought of that, but I really have no idea where to start. I have never built a set and really cant afford the downtime that would be involved with piecing it together. I was thinking if I could get a set of BD twins I could have them on in a day or two and be on my way. Any other suggestions? If I did try to use my 35 where could I get the HT3B and what housing would I need for it? And can you get the piping pre-made or do you have to fab it up?

Well

there is someone here selling a complete piping setup in the classified ads, But i also know that JR adkins will also sell complete piping sets for the 35 3B combo..

the best prices that i have found online for a 3b is off a company called www.turboparts.info

Rick
Rick
Old 05-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Piers and Rip Rook sell twins parts individually. Planning on going with the piers setup later in the year. I found my HT3B in the classifieds on a local car forum, but have seen numerous on E-bay. I never found any CPL numbers to track one down from a big rig, all I found is they are on the 13L engines.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:23 PM
The Guru

I would limit how much fuel you throw at your twins. Egt's will sky rocket with any bigger injectors. I use a towing set around 100rwhp and a play time set of injectors. I just put in big set from dynomite 250rwhp, not as good as don's mach 6'ers. Without even dynoing the truck, I can tell that it lays down more than don's. The horsepower and torque is lower, idles funny and egt's are out of this world. The only good thing is the smoke is about half of the machers. Mach 4 would be too big for BD twins. I would use at most a 3. Ask one of Don's vendors. BD twins are pretty small from what I remember. I would run the HX-40/14 with a 70mm BHT3B turbo. Egt's shouldn't be that bad then while towing.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by caleb c.
...I am thinking of looking closer at the BD twins as they are a complete kit and I hear they are designed well and good for towing. I would like to run at least a Mach 4 with the comp turned on 1x1 and stay cool. Would this kit be able to do that? Also, what is the spoolup like with this kit and others? And would I be able to run a small set of twins like this temporarly with the small injectors
With Mach 4's and TST on #4 (actually Comp set on #2)... i'm just under 1200* at WOT with BD twins on a 90* day. I get 60 psi boost! The low end response it better than I ever imagined...after 2 yrs of big singles! They spool VERY quickly! Would be heavenly for towing, IMO.
I'm sure you could drive them with you smaller injectors!
If mostly towing, I'd advise against Mach 4's. They would work with box turned down but I think it might be a better balanced combo with something smaller and box a little higher. But with an HO....not sure. JMO

RJ
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Rjohnson just got a set of the BD twins and he's very impressed with them. He's running mach 4's with a tst and with the tst set on 4 he's only hitting 1300* at triple digit speeds. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon.
Just for the record...that was with TST COMP on #4! Equal to TST PM3 on #8.

RJ
Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
The Guru

I can still peg my pyro on 1X1. Spool-up isn't that big of an issue with mine. I'm supprised your egt's are so low. How heavy are you towing and how big is the hill? PDR told me that the biggest sticks that I could run are the 275rv's with no egt's but then why run twins if thats as big as you go.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 AM

Mike, Not sure who's comments you are addressing...but my above numbers were without trailer.....at around 8000# gross wt. Sorry if that fact was not clear.

RJ
Old 05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

"Mike Holmen :
I can still peg my pyro on 1X1. Spool-up isn't that big of an issue with mine. I'm supprised your egt's are so low. How heavy are you towing and how big is the hill? PDR told me that the biggest sticks that I could run are the 275rv's with no egt's but then why run twins if thats as big as you go."

i thought that was the whole point of running twins so you can run the big sticks without wasting all that fuel and helping with egt's. i towed 25k with my 4's and ps62 and it was managable. Not very much fun and the rpm's stayed higher than i would have liked but we could still run 75-80 mph if we wanted to. I figured with twins my egt's would drop and I wouldn't have to rev it so high.

Quick Reply: Twins for a sick towing setup