Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo gurus - need help on choosing right turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo gurus - need help on choosing right turbo

hey guys, ok so its definitely turbo time for my truck, and i know i want to go with an Industrial Injection turbo. Just not sure which one is right pick for me. Heres what currently done to my truck as well as what i may do in future and what i plan to do with the truck. Its a 2001 HO 6 spd truck.

Edge COMP hot unlock
7x.011 injectors (150s-ish)
3 pc exhaust manifold
O ringed head
ARP studs
AFE bladerunner intake horn
head ported/polished
FASS 150
4" DP to 5" exhaust

Thats main mods done to engine. Also has a SBC 3600 Dual Disc clutch in it.

As far as how itll be driven etc, itll be a "hot street" truck, meaning lots of playing around etc. Itll be used to occasionally tow trailers, rarely exceeding 10k lbs, but sometimes. I also am going to have it on both the drag track as well as the transfer sled track. So i need a turbo thatll be able to compete with those guys.

As far as future mods go, ill be possibly, if not definitely upgrading from my 7x.011s to an injector closer to the 200-220 range, i also will be eventually adding a smarty to stack with my edge. i WILL in the near future being a cam swap as well as upgraded valve springs and push rods.

As far as driveability, i want a turbo that can EASILY handle everything ive mentioned without worry of breakage etc. Basically, i want something strong. I dont mind having some turbo lag, however i dont want it to be a complete dog until like 2500 RPM. I also want something that i know will keep my EGTs down in a manageable range.

Im looking into the Super Phatshaft and Silver Bullet series turbos, however, they dont give all specs for both lines of turbos in diff sizes. So if you know know all the tech info on these turbos, itd be greatly appreciated if you could share that with me.

Thanks guys! Hope ive given all info i need to help make the right choice!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not extremely familiar with 24v and performance chips, but since they are tunable they do help with choosing a turbo to be usable for street, tow and play, from the amount of turbos ive gone thru and blown up.... i suggest something in the size range of 62/13ss/74(compressor housing, exhaust housing, turbine wheel) also adding a water meth setup for towing will help keep the egts in check.

An even better setup would be twins if you got the cash or fab skills, the more fuel you throw at it the hotter you egts will get and less towable youll make your truck without the proper amount of air, but with too big of a turbo and you wont wanna tow with it, being that the compressor efficiency will be at a higher rpm and cause too much heat down low when towing.

Jason