Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Time for me to learn more about TIMING and DURATION.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for me to learn more about TIMING and DURATION.

Hey whats up all.
So ive been gettin curious latelty. Started searching around for info. Found some good stuff half way down on this site..
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm
If im not mistakin.. timing is the Degree where the piston is past top dead center, that fuel is injected. So basically its 'When' the fuel is injected. ?? is that right?
And Duration is what? how many times the injectors squirt fuel per injection sequence ?

I have some follow up questions but Ill make sure I know this half first.
Feel free to chime in everyone, I know there is alot of knowledge in you all.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Fuel is injected Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). Duration is how long the injection event is. To get more fuel in through a given injector size, you'd need either more pressure, or hold the injector open longer. Since we are limited to the pressures we can run (unlike CR's, which can vary them), duration is our only option to increase fuel.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Ok so duration is how long the injector is open/ the only way to increase fuel besides bigge sticks.
And timing is before TDC not after. K that makes more sense im good there.

So, What is a 24 V timing and duration at when stock?
And how much do certan boxes/pregrammers change these? I cant find anything on it for my J/A.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM

No idea on duration of injection on either engine. Quad had a timing table for a 24v floating around here. I've been wanting to put my timing light on a 24v to see where its at, but have yet to do it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM

Timing light??

K the biggest reason im tying to learn up on this is cause..
Im gonna be gettin some Mach 4's in a little while, and Im thinking ill be at my fuel load max with my Super B. So I figured id turn my Juice down and just un the sticks, BUT I still want the advantages of advanced timing, Mainly lower EGT's.

What it comes down too is.. Is there anyone that makes Only a timing box?
I was gonna get a Smarty but dont want the extra fueling+timing of its stages, same with my J/A.
I just want the timing for when racin.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Why not just run the box where you like it and control it with the throttle? I only ran the comp box for a couple months before my VP lunched itself, so I don't remember how sensitive it was, but there should be no reason you can't run it on kill, just don't go WOT.

Doesn't Edge advance timing on all levels?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM

I dont know to be honest. I cant find anything on Edge, Ill just have to call em I guess. Im wondering if it does, but timing only advances a little pe stage, so you gotta be up on #5 to get the best timing results.

Yea im gonna run it all turned up most of the time.. But Im looking for timing specifically for racing.
I go hit the 1/4 mile track all summer and want to be givin it WOT with out sky high EGT's, thats why Im wondering if theres something that Only does timing.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM

The Edge EZ is a timing only box with boost fooler.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, the EZ does both timing and fueling. The three settings on the EZ control when the extra fueling actually starts (5, 10, 20psi IIRC). But there is no timing only setting.

The Smarty does have a timing only setting, but it is very advanced timing for increased fuel mileage. Not sure if you could try to tune it with the Revo settings to control how much advance it has.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 AM

the timing from edge isnt near as good as the smarty. i started with the edge comp, then i got the smarty, then i ditched the edge and got the tst powermax comp, which was a better combination. it fueled very hard and and my egts actually went down with the timing from the smarty. i dont think there is a better combo than big sticks and a smarty.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM

ditto love the TSTpm3 and Smarty and bigger sticks. and yes better egt's
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM

So funny you guys say that.. I was actually wondering that exact thing last night.
Wondering if I couldnt just get a Smarty, and for racin just use it with the big sticks and Have in control EGT's, and use My Juice more for gauges then anything.
Cause I remembered one of the greatest things about Smarty is how well it keeps EGT's in check cause of the timing.
Well, It seems that a Smarty has jumped its self back towards top on my list on my list.
Im gonna wait till I get the 150's in and play with em a bit, but sounds like Smarty will be my best choice.
No suprise really haha.
Sick thanks For the info all.
And Tate for gettin me started with the right knowledge.
Ian
Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
The Smarty does have a timing only setting, but it is very advanced timing for increased fuel mileage. Not sure if you could try to tune it with the Revo settings to control how much advance it has.
Would it be a foolish Idea to think that I could run the Smarty on mileage setting.. with the 150's for racin?
So that I would have the Very advanced timing, and the fuel from the sticks, to make a good combo?

My main concern is over powering my Super B Single. As long as I have good EGT's with WOT (1200-1500*)at the track, Im down for about any combo.
Ive hit 1625* before and I know these engines can take alot, I just dont wanna push it like that.
Id feel much better keepin it around like 1400* if possible. Thats my best comfort zone.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM

you are going to be very hot with the 150's and the super b. but look on the bright side, you get to buy that bigger turbo you always wanted! its a viscious circle: bigger turbo so you need bigger injectors, so then you need a bigger turbo, so you need bigger injectors.... you can see where this is going.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 AM

anyone in your area you could test a smarty. then when you do you will be hooked on it. I know personally with my set up and with the Revo software when it became available I did gain better mpg with my mach 4's. if I have it set on sw9 and TST on 7,8,9 I dont ever go over 1200deg, but I dont drag the truck this is just hitting it wot. I also live around 600 ft elevation when I drive up the mountains around 5,6k elevation my temps are up alittle more but nothing bad. the revo has alot of tuning you can try out. good luck

Quick Reply: Time for me to learn more about TIMING and DURATION.