Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

swapping my front axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went out and looked over the axel that I have. That is one heavy sucker, looks like I better get busy and find a dead front axle to get the mountings from and work out the steering linkage. It will be a big brake improvement, Warn hubs, and a much stronger axle to work with. Glad you posted this thread, the mod is right up my alley, I just never looked into the actual setup of welding the mounts on the axle. A lot of cleanup but nothing that a disassembly and cleanup will not handle. Dust shields are a little bent up but that is what torches are for The calipers and all that are inside and clean.

I would really like to get into the replacable bearings and away from the dodge balljoints. Think it would be a good swap for my uses. I have never seen another dana 70 front like this one. Only thing missing is the dual adaptors. Have to talk to Arrowcraft about some that will mount 19.5 wheels.

Looks like the biggest problem would be getting the Dodge type linkage set up for it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left my dust shields off. I hear all they do is collect rocks and mud if you go off roading at all.

BTW have fun with your conversion and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Here it is.
taking out the old one

putting in the new one

yay locking hubs!

new driveshaft angle

old driveshaft angle

new

old
Old 03-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CTD NUT
Nice job Lance......that will be a slick and strong setup when it is in......

ddestruel,

How come you don't like the king pin setup?........I much prefer the knig pin setup because the only wearable part is the plastic bushing in the uppers and those seem to last for years........CTD's seem to tear through balljoints.
you are correct, and i love king pins but the knuckles (& th C's) have a clearance issue with the track bar bracket when trying to use the dodge bracketry compared to the ford balljoint axles and knuckles (& the C's) and attachements on a stocker. the balljoint fords are supposed to fit better than the kingpin C's.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana60swap.php

i could go to an adjustable track bar but in this application for the amount of highway miles im thinking stock easily had parts might be a better avenue. My other option is paying Currie to custom cut and weld a Dana 60 housing 2" wider with king pin C's for $1400 and then rob all teh parts off of my king pin 60 and then order up custom inner axles shafts and weld on the bracketry $$$$$$$$ or have them retube my housing and get 1 custom inner axle shaft. pricey dont know if i'll go that route
Old 03-14-2005, 01:44 PM

How about going to the heavier ford steering box? Then use the stock ford linkage.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:18 PM

?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:13 PM

The 4wd Ford steering box bolts to the frame and the pitman arm swings front and back instead of side to side. But after posting that I realized that the arm on the axle would run into the springs. So it could not be done.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 AM

Cool

I know this is a old post but I got a question. Could this axle swap be done but still have working ABS?