Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Superchip -OR- Edge EZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superchip -OR- Edge EZ

This is a borderline religious topic, but I'd like to hear opinions (and why).....
Edge EZ or Superchip?

Currently:
2000 Ram 2500 Cummins, 4x4, 4.5" Skyjacker, 4" Magnaflo, Sun Coast Torque Conv - shift kit - deep pan.

Next mod:
Open up the lungs - Banks High-Ram and probably K&N FIPK

After that:
Performance - Edge EZ or Superchip

Oh yeah, I don't tow with it or haul loads... it's a daily driver and for off road fun. (so I'm leaning toward the Superchip)
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the church of Cummins y2kRam

You might also want to look into a programmer called the "Smarty".
Smarty Website
Like other programmers, it has different levels, depending on your needs.
Most people who were running an Edge EZ and then went to a Smarty, ended up selling the EZ.
I never had an EZ, I tested a Smarty on my truck and ordered one a day later. It was like driving 2 different trucks (with and without the Smarty). Much better throttle response on the low end. Searching here, you will find that not too many run the Superchips and a lot of people run Edge Products. The Smarty came out in the beggining of the year, but lots of people are running them and love them.

~Rob
Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered

ive herd the banks high ram dosnt really show a difference on the dyno. and i would think twice about the k&n. do a search on here and youll quickly find out why.

instead go with a bhaf (cheap) or a scotty (not so cheap, but they are ''the best'')

id get the smarty if i were you like mentioned above. i have one and i love it
Old 05-07-2006, 04:34 PM

I had a superchips then sold it to buy a comp which I ran in EZ mode for about a month before I tapped the wire. I didnt feel much differenc power wise. The good thing about the superchip is that you get a code reader and you can change your tire size.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM

features

Certainly one of the features I liked about the Superchip is that I can input my 35" tire size (and it's less than half the cost of the Smarty - $300).

The other air box I was looking at is the S&B (which pulls the air from outside the engine compartment like stock). http://www.sbfilters.com/product_display.php?id=102

Has anyone heard of the AEM Brute Force air intake? (dry synthetic filter media)
http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dodgecaem.htm
Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM

You can change tire sizes with the Smarty. Yes the Smarty is more money, but it will blow the others you are looking at out of the water.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by y2kram
Certainly one of the features I liked about the Superchip is that I can input my 35" tire size (and it's less than half the cost of the Smarty - $300).

The other air box I was looking at is the S&B (which pulls the air from outside the engine compartment like stock). http://www.sbfilters.com/product_display.php?id=102

Has anyone heard of the AEM Brute Force air intake? (dry synthetic filter media)
http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dodgecaem.htm

I have the S&B and I believe it's a quality product. I run K&N on my gassers, but not on the diesel.

Injectors are next, probably Don's 1's or 1.6's.

I like my van Aaken a lot. Nothing rad, just good, smooth low end.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM

I did a lot of research and ended up with the Edge EZ. I get a solid three more miles per gallon and it runs like a striped monkey. I have a six speed and use 2nd, 4th & 6th most of the time. When it hits the power band it comes on hard and really pours the black smoke for a couple of seconds. I blew a tuner away at a stop light the other day and they thought it was great. That little Honda of theirs was screaming in a cloud of black smoke. The great thing about the EZ is the two minute installation and it doesn’t flash your computer. I left mine of the first setting (65 hp) because I was looking for economy and I understand the higher settings are harder on stock injectors.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:18 PM

i heard some guys talkin at a dyno day i was at the other day and he said he lost power with the banks high ram.....thats just what i heard him say.
i would get an ATS....just my opinion....i have an edge EZ and like it alot...but im fixin to trade it in for a comp.
hope you find what your looking for....
Old 05-08-2006, 03:12 PM

I'd imagine that if you're gonna lose power by using the Banks high ram, then you're probably gonna do the same with the ATS arc flow or whatever it's called, same basic design so I'd say the only advantage of the ATS would be the ports for a boost gauge or for your choice of spray, water/meth,propane,NOS????? correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the ATS & Banks were the same basic design?????? Dusty
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Banks vs ATS

They both straighten out the air path from stock, but the ATS has 5 ports (wonder why)... I'm not sure I'd buy seeing a drop on the dyno with just the Banks High-Ram as the difference. If there was a drop, there were other factors involved he either didn't share (or know).

If I wasn't going to install a performance mod (Edge, Superchip, etc), I probably wouldn't change the intake manifold, and I do realize that I'm not going to feel a difference (seat of the pants) wether it's stock or Banks or ATS, but with the mods, I want to open the air up wherever I can. This just makes sense (to me), unless of course there is logic/test data/etc to indicate that it's a bad idea.

I saw an ESPN program of a DHRA (Diesel Hot Rod Assoc) event. Every single truck (Dodge) that opened their hood for the camera, either had an ATS or Banks (probably a mix of about 50/50, maybe one or two more Banks). I'm leaning toward ... "it's a good idea".
Old 05-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Bank$ high ram does NOTHING to add power. In FACT it actually lowers power output. Ask Mike (777 Mechanic). He has done extensive testing on the dyno with it.

What did you really expect from bank$? Did you expect a quality product??????
Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 PM

If you do some searching, you'll find that ALL the products for a gen 2 Cummins (like yours and mine) advertise almost exactly the same power increases of around 60-70 hp and 140-180ft/lbs of torque. Quadzilla, Superchips, Hypertech, EDGE EZ, you name it - pretty much all the same. The only exception is the EDGE COMP that taps the pump wire.

That being said, IMO, there's certainly nothing wrong with the EDGE product, but I like my Superchip for it's code reading ability, and 3 levels of power.

All of the above are fairly mild power adders in the grand scheme of things though.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Smarty Fan

Originally Posted by hotdram
Welcome to the church of Cummins y2kRam

You might also want to look into a programmer called the "Smarty".
Smarty Website
Like other programmers, it has different levels, depending on your needs.
Most people who were running an Edge EZ and then went to a Smarty, ended up selling the EZ.
I never had an EZ, I tested a Smarty on my truck and ordered one a day later. It was like driving 2 different trucks (with and without the Smarty). Much better throttle response on the low end. Searching here, you will find that not too many run the Superchips and a lot of people run Edge Products. The Smarty came out in the beggining of the year, but lots of people are running them and love them.

~Rob
My neighbor and I,both owners of 2nd gens.,his 99 six-speed.VA 275's,mine,98.5 auto DD2's,EZ had our trucks downloaded with Smartysw#9 and were totally blown away with the extended powerband and overall DRIVEABILITY! They act like totally different trucks. With stock L.P.'s fuel pressure never dropped below 10 w.o.t.,about the same as with installed mods. Marco's got a good product. Bob Wagner posted about availability of loaner box as the product sells itself. Might be worth a try. This not for the sled pullers but for the owner who wants increased safe power and driveability.