Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Speakers for the truck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers for the truck!

Hello Everyone!
I am looking into replacing my stock Dodge speakers in the truck with some upgrades & was was wondering what you all use? & how you liked it?
I would also like to know how may ways you would go with a speaker & if it's more way are better or no, cause they got everything from 2Way speakers to 5 Way's & I was wondering what the down side would be cause it seems the more the better, but let me know what you guys have, tried, like & disliked!

Thanks!
DRecu!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Banned

Re:Speakers for the truck!

I had a set of Pioneer 2 Way's all the way around for a while powered by a Sony X-plod head unit. I thought they sounded good. Then I had a friend convince me to put a set of component speakers in. I'll never go back to 2-ways. Or anything else for that matter. Having the mid's and high's on a seperate speaker are awesome. The high's are extremely crisp and precise. The mid's are just as clear. Best part about them, is that you can mount the tweeter where ever you want to and direct the sound towards you. I've got an amp on my front components (still have 2 ways in the back, but just as filler noise). To fit a component in, you will have to make up a kind of backing plate or something. They are 6.5's and the stock speaker are 6x9's. But it's real easy. Take a very thin piece of wood (1/16"-1/8&quot, and cut it to fit the stock speaker opening. Then cut a 6-1/2" hole in it and mount the mid bass speaker.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely 6.5" components. You can go thicker than 1/8" for your mounting plate, though. There's a bit of room between the metal of the door and the plastic door panel. I've used 3/4" plywood before. Right now, the crossovers for my speakers are mounted up high and forward, screwed to the metal of the door under the plastic skin.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:24 AM

I replaced the Infinity speakers with Aftermarket Infinity speakers and they sound great for the money......

BUT... You have been told correct Separates are the way to go! Do it and don't look back! On my wifes Expedition we put Boston Acoustic Separates in all the doors and there is no comparison between them and my Infinities...Period!

Anyone that has ever listened to my trucks system with the Infinities has commented on how good it sounds but the quality of the system in the Expedition is noticibly different to me....

Separates... Only way to fly!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:18 PM

Can you run a different type of speaker system with the stock Infinity system?? I thought the Infinity speakers were "powered" or something that requires a different unit with the replacement speakers.

I would like to get better sounds and then eventually replace the Infinity radio/single CD/cassette player. I was hesitant to do this as I thought I heard that any replacement speakers had to be matched to the Infinity unit. (Can't afford to do both at the same time right now) I also would like a unit that has one of those CD clips that hold multiple CD's.

Audio challenged here when it comes to the components, but I know what I like to hear!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:11 PM

[quote author=GMScott link=board=5;threadid=19365;start=0#msg182582 date=1063131504]
Can you run a different type of speaker system with the stock Infinity system?? I thought the Infinity speakers were "powered" or something that requires a different unit with the replacement speakers.[/quote]

I've gone both ways on this one in my '97. The orginal unit if you have Infinity sound should be a amped unit. At least mine was...Make sure that if you are not going to add additional separate amps for woofer/tweeter/mids etc...that the deck unit you purchase is powered with its own internal amp. Sony, Alpine, Kenwood...yayayadayada all make expceptional head units...personally I prefer Sony. As for speaker combo's, the sky's the limit! ;D And as everyone has said, separates are the shiznit...I've had several diff systems from no power to insane amounts running way to high of decibals. My two cents are for Rockford Fosgate, both speaker and amp. The speakers will take incredible amounts of high end abuse, and the bass is more of a solid "thump" than the "boom" often heard on the streets. JMO...

Ultimately I would think you need to decide what kind of system you want. Do you want the neighbors knowing your coming from a few blocks away, or just something to enjoy minus the earbleedin'? Good luck on the search...
Old 09-10-2003, 01:53 PM

Well I already have a Pioneer Deck & A JL Audio Sub, but I am wondering why 6.5's sound so much better it's not ike they are really much bigger. Just wondering.

DRecu!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:05 PM

[quote author=drecu link=board=5;threadid=19365;start=0#msg183144 date=1063219992]
Well I already have a Pioneer Deck & A JL Audio Sub, but I am wondering why 6.5's sound so much better it's not ike they are really much bigger. Just wondering.

DRecu!
[/quote]

Well, some people will tell you that oval cones don't sound as good as round cones--I'm not sure I've ever been able to tell the difference, myself. But the main reason the components will sound better is how they're crossed over, rather than the size of the speaker. Most of your better component sets have a much better crossover, some of them adjustable, than your typical multi-way 6x9 speaker.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:15 PM

component speakers have better tweeters and crossovgers than most coaxial speakers thus they sound better

now you can buy component quality coax's or even component speakers that allow coaxial mounting, these sound just as good as regular component speakers but allow another mounting option where space is tight

they would work well in the rear doors since there is only a 6.5" hole back there

examples:

http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR650CX.html#

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...0seperates.cfm

Old 09-11-2003, 03:46 PM
LE

First, a non round speaker, from a physics standpoint cannot reproduce frequencies completely accurately. As far as the crossovers are concerned, the steeper the slope, the better they sound, given they are running at the appropriate frequency ranges to begin with. It works like this:

a typical "passive" crossover is effective to about 12db/octave (give or take).
an "active" crossover can have up to a 36db/octave slope (generally speaking).

What does this mean? Well, let's assume that a subwoofer enclosure housing two 10" drivers has a resonant frequency of 45 HZ. This for all intents and purposes is the enclosures most effective frequency in term of decibels. Now, common sense would say that the enclosure will operate most efficiently @ 45 hz. The electronic crossover being used has a crossover slope of 24db/octave. This means that @ 1 octave higher (90hz) or lower (22.5hz) the sound will be 24 db less, which means the drivers are not working at trying to reproduce signals they are not efficient at. The further you go away from the set frequency, the level of sound will decrease. Most times these slopes are linear, not exponential.
Basically what this refers to is the lowest amount of unwanted frequencies, and that means better sound quality. This is a basic concept, and there are much more in depth theorems, postulates and hypothesis one could explore in search of absolute sonic truth. BUT, for this forum I think it is sufficient. Sorry for the long post. LE
Old 09-11-2003, 10:36 PM

Ok looks like componants are the way to go but I was wondering what is the biggest size rears you can put in a club cab pickup? & also what is the seperate chip board like thinngy these all come with & where would you put that?
sorry i'm not sure what i'm looking at & exacly just how these componants work, also where do you mount the tweeter in the dodge pickups?
also how do componants hook up? through your regular speaker wire or what?
I have not heard of omponants till now sorry for my ignorance!

DRecu!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:51 PM
LE

E-Mail me your address and I will send you pictures of everything tomorrow night after work. LE
BTW, the rear speakers are 6.5", I would suggest 2 way co-axials for the rear. Otherwise you will nees to locate the tweeters somewhere in the rear. You would also need to find a place to mount the crossovers for them as well. 2/3 way speakers have the component tweeter in the center of the cone, as well as a capacitor used to filter out the higher frequencies. Some even come with the ability to "aim" the tweeter in the middle of the cone (swivel). These are less expensive and work really well in the rear of the truck.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:58 AM

There are other ways to do this, but I have the woofers in the stock door locations, using a plate adapter to fit the 6.5" round woofer into the 6x9 hole. The tweeters are flush-mounted into the door panels, in that little area above and forward of the window switches, where the tweeters were located in the Infinity systems prior to 98. The crossovers are mounted to the sheet metal of the door, up high, near where the plastic panel has that bulge that mates up with the end of the dash.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:16 AM

[quote author=dodgeram link=board=5;threadid=19365;start=0#msg183246 date=1063235724]

they would work well in the rear doors since there is only a 6.5" hole back there

[/quote]

Hmmmm, tinsnips to the rescue
Old 09-13-2003, 01:41 PM

My best advice for mounting the tweeters in our truck is buy the a pillar covers that the infinity trucks come with tha mount the tweeter on the pillars. This way you aim it properly and don't go boring holes in your doors. Then get yourself a set of components I have been using focal the last 2 years and they are exceptional and with my setup they cannot be distorted no matter how much power you throw at them but I have many tricks the public is not aware of Everyone's advice is very good and steering you to components is the right move they rule nothing sounds better or can play louder. You say you already have a sub a JL where is it? And where is the amp? And you have a deck does is have subwoofer control? Most pioneers do but just to be sure. You deck will be powered as well and if you had an infinity system then you need to trigger the factory amp you do not just hook it up and go. The epeakers you have now can just be swapped out for new ones if you wish with no problems, however I highly recommend you at least amplify the front speakers I guarantee once you amplify your mids and tweets you will never go back!

Quick Reply: Speakers for the truck!