Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Test - Economy Setting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty Test - Economy Setting

Set Smarty on SW #1 for a Sunday trip to Waco,Tx and back. 455 miles R.T.; Interstate all the way.

Results - Gained 1.1 mpg over normal Hwy mileage!

Notes:
-About 40 miles, say 10% were around town... before leaving (Sat night) and around Waco.
-TST Box - Off
-Economy Setting is peppy.. more so than I expected. I was empty in back and had plenty of power for passing, on ramps, etc. Suspect this setting would work well for light to med. towing.
-Actually drove this trip a little harder than I normally do, due to time constraints. Average hwy speed was 73-75 mph. Point is, I did not baby it for a mileage test! Others could probably do better than +1.1 mpg.
-Used cruise control 75% of the time.
-Filled up, when I got back, at same tank and in same way.

Nice combo of power & mileage...well done Marco!

RJ
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree. I've been pestering Marco to make the "fuel saver" function a TRUE mpg-is-what-matters-most feature.

Say you're cruising the Interstate and have plenty of power even with just 60% of it available.

What if the "fuel saver" also combined the reduced responsiveness of the "half power" function??

There's more to mpg than just steady-state efficiency. Transitions matter a lot, and restricting the "ramp rate" in the fueling curve would have to help a lot in real world MPG.

Most of us understand that fuel saver would cost some hp, don't we? We understand it's not designed for heavy towing, right???

Or am I just FOC as usual?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

i agree when i put it on #1 for economy i would sacrifice some responsivness to get better milage,i also agree mating #1 with #0 would be a good idea.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UM.....RJ.....lets not forget that the AC was not on......the sweat on my back can prove that! haha........... (AND im a Buck Fifty!)

Lets try a run with the AC on next time....just for S and G's! haha......