Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty II observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty II observations

Installation was relatively painless.
The shape of the Scotty isn't perfect, it doesn't exactly fit the fender hole, or the 4 1/2 inch hole drilled in the cowl.
So, I guess it leaks a bit of underhood air into it.

First thing I noticed is the sound, of course. Suprisingly, the level is not offensive at all. Before I drilled the hole, in hush mode, the turbo scream was about 6db higher than running the stock box. However, the stock box was much noiser due to turbulant air, by 11db.
After drilling the 4 1/2 in. hole the sound changed completely. Now, I can hear the turbo through most of its range, though it is not loud, and can now hear the airflow (whooosh) as the air enters the filter thru the cowl. The whoosh at high throttle settings is very audible, but not offensive at all. As long as we can talk over it without having to raise our voices, its not a problem. I don't yet have decibel measurements on this mode. The exhaust brake is much louder though. It sounds more like a Jake brake on a big-truck in the cab.
Bottom line on the sound: WOT on Scotty is quiter than WOT thru stock airbox with K&N drop-in filter. Sound is a pleasant tone, not offensive or harsh.

The EGT's in 'hush' mode. At idle actually higher by 25*.
Pushing 18lb boost, 150* lower, nice.
With the cowl hole. At idle 75* lower. 15lb boost 200*+ lower.

So the bottom line is that this thing does just what is claimed.

Ok, now the unexplainable part:
After cutting the hole and running up the mountain, I noticed the turbo spool was substantially quicker. Very noticable. Torque was much better from 1500 to 1750 rpm. :
Kind of a Twilight-Zone thing ???
Old 08-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re:Scotty II observations

I am glad to read about your results. Many many people still doubt the results and the more power you throw at it, the more it reduces EGT's compared to other systems.

Allow me to explain the points of fitment that you mentioned.

Not perfectly round due to the overlap where it glues. We tried to shorten that up and could not get a good adhesion. Then we tried to shrink down the curve on each half and after it came off the molds, the plastic would shrink and make the fit of the filter difficult. So there ya have it on that part.

Next...fitment to the cowl hole...when you hit the throttle the engine shifts some especially under load and the air box actually pushes towards the fender...and we actually looked at a gasket to seal the fender hole...it kept jarring loose.

Next, fitting the cowl hole exactly...hole on the end of the Scotty Air II is cut on a angle to align with the cowl...makes it a bit of an oval and it does not match the cowl perfectly...we tried to change the angle in the molds...lets not go there. :'(

Also, its not going to go inside the hole by much if any...as its a two function air system...fender inlet for hush mode and both holes for MAX EGT reduction.

Thank you for purchasing the Scotty Air II. The air intake that SUCKS COOOooOoOooooOooooL AIR!

;D

Old 08-10-2003, 06:40 PM

I gotta' cut the hole... just going up a small grade here in mostly flat lower michigan, while towing, I have to drop off the throttle (running about 70MPH) and bring it down to around 60-65ish or my EGT's fly up to 1300+ relatively quickly. I could always turn the Comp off, but then what would be the point in having it eh? ;D Looking for a 4.5" hole saw... loaners anyone?

Tony
Old 08-10-2003, 07:06 PM

By the way, Scotty,
These tests were run at an outside temp of 107 F.
Mountain grade is from 7 percent to 10 percent.
-Del
Old 08-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=dieseldel link=board=7;threadid=18230;start=0#msg170886 date=1060560389]
By the way, Scotty,
These tests were run at an outside temp of 107 F.
Mountain grade is from 7 percent to 10 percent.
-Del
[/quote]

Very COOooOooooooOooooOOOOOOoooL

Thats a lot of EGT reduction in that heat. Some folks have been skeptical at how it would work in that heat, even though I've been down there for a few trips to test and see the results.

Thats awesome!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:42 PM
LE

Does this unit work with an AFE element (external)? How much lower (EGT) than the Megacannon is it (average)? My problem has been I can tow like crazy, but the EGTs get really high fairly quick when hitting a grade. Would this help? Scotty, please let me know so I can air freight one out. What do they cost? LE
Old 08-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=LE link=board=7;threadid=18230;start=0#msg170979 date=1060573369]
Does this unit work with an AFE element (external)? How much lower (EGT) than the Megacannon is it (average)? My problem has been I can tow like crazy, but the EGTs get really high fairly quick when hitting a grade. Would this help? Scotty, please let me know so I can air freight one out. What do they cost? LE
[/quote]

Check my signature below and go to the links.
The unit is enclosed in a cylinder [round like air likes it. ;D] and the filter is an aFe 14" cone.
You will be able to find the info you need on the sites.

Scotty
Old 08-13-2003, 12:45 PM

dieseldel,

I put a 4 1/2" grommet for truck lighting in the cowl hole and left the stock fender gasket. This leaves it nice looking and a solid fit. I also cut the leading edge of the fender gasket so the air would shoot right into the Scotty II instead of having to shoot around a 90 degree corner.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:27 PM

Just got my ScottyII in the mail. Didn't get any filter oil with it. :'( Question for Scotty or anyone knowledgeable:
Can I use the rest of my K&N oil on an aFe or is that taboo? If so, I gotta get me some oil quick so I can suck like the rest of you
Old 08-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It can ONLY be used with a special formula oil made from the sweat of the very rare Betrothed Penguin. ;D
Old 08-13-2003, 08:38 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=18230;start=0#msg172223 date=1060824765]
It can ONLY be used with a special formula oil made from the sweat of the very rare Betrothed Penguin. ;D
[/quote]

Is that a PINK penguin?

Scotty, what color is that truck that's still not in your driveway?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Banned

It's peach color. He told me himself. ;D
Old 08-14-2003, 07:12 AM
Top's Younger Twin

[censored] [censored] :'( and [censored]

Old 08-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Back to the REAL question,...........
I see no reason why the K&N oil couldn't be used on the AFE filter.

Scotty.......what about you?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:06 AM

I use the K&N oil its easyily found around here

Quick Reply: Scotty II observations