Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pump Wire Tap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump Wire Tap

Im kind of a newbie on this forum so I hope this in in the right area. I have a 2000, 2500 and am considering an Edge, Juice w/attitude upgrade. The truck is totally stock and approaching 100k miles, so the waranty is about up. My question is this, when you "tap" the injector pump wire is it a plug or do you actually cut and tap the wire. Im wondering because if its a plug I would like to know how difficult it is to get to the plug. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I was considering some intake/exaust upgrades. Nothing major maybe a cold air intake and 4" exaust pipe. Should I expect transmition issues. I mostly drive like a Grampa but the ***** out here in CA. in the P/S and Duramax's can bring out the kid in me at times . Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

i have a 99 and have the DRAG comp and the kit came with a posi tap. no plug in on the pump, the so called wire taped is splicing into the pump wire.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Mine came with the wire tap that looks like the doodads UHaul uses to connect the trailer lights to your tailight wiring...wrap, pinch and close.
Mine started to have connection trouble after about a year so I soldered the connection.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Chapter President

i used a posi tap with mine but if i could do it again i would get the Stealth cover. that is probably the best way to go.
Now if they made a stelth cover with heat sinks that would be cool.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM

I installed the Edge Juice using the Posi Tap. You do not splice into the wire. It is a little do-dad that allows a pin to pierce through the wire. If you do it right and use the RTV that is suggested. IT does not vibrate lose and is protected from the elements. Much easier and if you ever decide to remove it, easy.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
i used a posi tap with mine but if i could do it again i would get the Stealth cover. that is probably the best way to go.
Now if they made a stelth cover with heat sinks that would be cool.

Got my Blue Chip pump cover on it for 4 yrs no problems.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the replys/help, sounds like its no big deal to do. I assume your all happy with the performance??

Also for those of you that have the extra power have you had any other issues ie: Transmission, heat, dependability...................................??
Old 07-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin B
Thanks for the replys/help, sounds like its no big deal to do. I assume your all happy with the performance??

Also for those of you that have the extra power have you had any other issues ie: Transmission, heat, dependability...................................??
you will definetly need a trans upgrade or some upgraded parts such as a vb, converter ect............. any pump taping box gives alot of horsepower.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Olratlr
Got my Blue Chip pump cover on it for 4 yrs no problems.

Thats what I would sugest as well, I ended up soldering a connection on mine righ from the get go. When my VP took a dump the pump wire was almost completly cut through, like there was 1 strand of wire left. The pump cover is a much better way to go.

dan
Old 07-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Another vote for BD stealth cover

Randy
Old 07-21-2006, 02:12 PM

What does the blue cover do? How does it have anything to do with splicing a wire? Where do you get one, and how much?

Im asking because Im about to go outside and tap my wire.

Also, kind of off topic but, I just hooked up my juice/attitude and at WOT my fuel pressure drops to 2psi. Isnt that danderous?

Jordan

Jordan
Old 07-21-2006, 02:20 PM

yes thats VERY low time to replace LP or you will be buying a VP44...I'm sure others can chime in on what else to check but from my limited experience you are flirting with disaster...check your codes make sure you dont have the 0216
Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by na4now
What does the blue cover do? How does it have anything to do with splicing a wire? Where do you get one, and how much?

Jordan
The Blue cover is a replacement cover for the vp44. It has a pointed set screw in it the makes contact withe the circuit board in the pump. It's just a different way of "tapping the wire". Instead of splicing into it. Got mine from BD for about $60

Randy
Old 07-23-2006, 12:45 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by na4now

Also, kind of off topic but, I just hooked up my juice/attitude and at WOT my fuel pressure drops to 2psi. Isnt that danderous?

Jordan

Jordan
The Blue Chip cover makes the pump connection without piercing the pump wire...good for warranty issues.
I went with a new Carter 4601hp lift pump and a Vulcan Big Line kit to address my low lift pump fuel pressure. Summit has the pump and Geno's has the Big Line/pump relocation kit.
There are other pump systems used too like a FASS.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by inline6power
you will definetly need a trans upgrade or some upgraded parts such as a vb, converter ect............. any pump taping box gives alot of horsepower.
wanting to buy an edge with attitude for my truck, but i need to upgrade my tranny first. what can i do to upgrade my tranny so i dont have to go out and buy a complete new BUILT one. just a new valve body, and TC?....

and around how much will that run me?

Quick Reply: Pump Wire Tap