Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

proggrammer or chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proggrammer or chip

now im not going to go out and buy one right now becouse i cant afford to but maybe in a couple of months.what would be a better choice. Im thinking of either getting a smarty or an edge ez with attitude. i like the idea of getting a moniter with the chip but i also like that the smarty would read codes. how are they for mpg gains about the same if any? what would be the advantage of a smarty over a edge ez or vice versa thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM

oops i mean edge juice with attitude
Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
In my opinion (and that's just an opinion but it's mine) gauges are a must but should be completely independent from the truck's own electronics.
So I'd opt for a set of gauges and then either a box or the smarty. I really like my smarty, especially in combination with the Mach 3s.
This combo would definitely kill a stock auto tranny.
The good thing about boxes with EGT monitoring is that they can defuel for you before you scorch a piston...

AlpineRAM
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got the Juice with attitude. Its got all the guages you need in one neat package, all the important stuff(EGTS, tranny temp, fuel pressure, etc) comes with its own senders so there's no problem there. I like the neat display vs guages cluttering stuff up. Also gives you an audible alarm if something gets out of control and you aren't watching it.

Why do you need a code reader? You can read trouble codes thru the dash display.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

the smarty took away the 2800 rpm defuel wich reall woke my truck up. that option is worth it's wait in gold imho.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM

you are limited to about 65 hp with a programer, a box can tap the fuel pump increasing hp well into the 100s. the smarty is most commonly used when stacking with a fuel box, if you do decide with a box and mech. guages and still feel like you need a code reader you can go to the local autoparts store and they can scan for free. also your truck does not display all codes, not all problems throw the check engine light.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 AM

well im not to interested in big power gains maybe just a bit but i was just thinking added power and fuel economy sounds good. i know the key thing reads codes but it dosent read all codes right. as far as tranny goes im not sure becouse im not the original owner but i dont think its stock i know its been replaced jujst not sure ifc its been upgraded. and are the gauges in the moniter fine or are mechanical ones better. what would be the difference. anyways so far im leaning towards the edge thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 PM

i am in the same boat but i have done a lot of research and here is what im going to do. first i was sold on the juice with attitude because of the safeguards, but i know if i have the extra power and tell my self i wont run over the 3rd power level im lieing to my self, i would burn up my stock trans. im going with isspro boost,egt,and fuel pressure. then im going to get a quadzilla xzt(65hp) (this doesnt tap the pump) or maybe an edge ez and leave it on the fuel saving setting.then maybe a j-hook to raise boost then eventualy when i get the money i will get a fass to help out the lift pump. oh and some argue the mech guages are more accurate but most say the attitude is close enough for saftey purposes but most like the guage look better
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM

Not sure where you get that the XZT doesn't tap the pump. I emailed Quad and was told all their boxes tap.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 PM

i assumed it was like an edge ez and didnt tap, but you are prob. right either way i will get a smaller chip, one of the two. is the xzt on the fly since it does tap the pump?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Used EZ.

I'd just look for a used EZ and do the j-hook mod. Cheap,reliable power,won't tax your i.p. or l.p. Modest increase in fuel economy too! Since Smarty came out there's some for sale all the time. Might cost you $150 or so.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM

ya thats true i say i wont put it on higher power settings but thats what they all say i guess. and my truck is gettting a fass put on it as we speak becouse my lift pump died and i figure why just replace it with the stock one if im spending the money i might as well upgrade. so i guess ill have to wait a bit longer for the chip becouse of the price of the fass o well i wanted to do it eventually. i think i like the look of the attitude moniter if i found a good spot to put it. also if you put on a chip would you get more smoke out of the exhaust. becouse i dont want that i like it that my exhaust comes out clean
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 PM

ussualy because chips add fuel and timing, smoke is just unburned fuel so it can be a challenge to get clean power.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by smokinstrokes99
ussualy because chips add fuel and timing, smoke is just unburned fuel so it can be a challenge to get clean power.
Its not hard to drive without smoke. Even with mach 4's and smarty I can drive almost completely smoke free, but still belch a few clouds out every now and then
Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 AM

ya basicly if im not putting my foot to the floor it will still not really smoke right

Quick Reply: proggrammer or chip